Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Hypothetical question.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 05-26-2013 01:20
Please note i would not be dumb enough to actually try and do this but,

Could a person perform a PQR for a Full pen welding a 1" test coupon all the way out using GTAW and E70-S2 filler and qualify it to D1.8 as long as you met the minimum notch toughness?

A college of mine and I were doing a bit of bench racing over some drinks at dinner last night and i want to see who's side of the argument was the correct side to be on.   Although it would be absolutely hilarious to tig out a moment frame from anyones perspective.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 05-26-2013 12:20
Sure you can.
That's what PQR's are for, to test out of the norm ideas.
Gotta be careful with heat input...

Tim
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-26-2013 22:16
Dualie,

I don't think I would consider it 'dumb enough'.  It is actually a practical test if there is some specialized reason for needing to carry out the welding with GTAW.  For example:

Back in the 90's I needed to qualify with GTAW for Carbon Structural Steel in order to do some modifications in a Microchip plant during operation of the clean room.  Clean rooms operate differently than many people realize but the point is they wanted to eliminate as much contamination as possible.  No slag being a major consideration.  What better process than GTAW?  So, I ran all the tests to get the process proven within the perameters of what I needed to accomplish.

And as Tim said, that is what the PQR is about, testing the unusual to make sure the process and operator can accomplish the task.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By Dualie (***) Date 05-26-2013 23:20
nice to be on the right side of a bench race every now and again.      I guess if the $$$ are right then i could be dumb enough to do it...
Parent - By cfletcher Date 05-31-2013 10:51
Not a dumb ? at all. I use to give a 2" super heavy in the 6G position GTAW all the way out to meet the requirements of root and hot passes on critical piping components. I admit it was a bit of a safe guard but I know we were qualified.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Hypothetical question.