Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Charpy V-notch test temperature
- - By S. WINAI (**) Date 05-27-2013 08:03 Edited 05-27-2013 13:09
hello All,

Kindly help to clarify  and  interpreting this word mention below.

“The Charpy V-notch test temperature and the average value for absorbed energy (KV) in WM, FL and HAZ
shall be the same as required for the base material in transverse direction for extra high strength steels. For
normal strength steels and high strength steels, 70% of the longitudinal value is to be used (see DNV-OSB101).
The requirements given by the DNV Rules for Classification of Ships Pt.2 Ch.3 Sec.5 E401 can be applied as
an alternative.
For grades of improved weldability (see DNV-OS-B101), the Charpy V-notch test temperature and the average
value for absorbed energy in weld metal, fusion line and HAZ shall be the same as required for the base material
of the comparable normal weldability grade in transverse direction.”

Question.

what steel should be the same as required for base metal?

1. normal strength steels
2. high strength steels
3. extra high strength steels
4. grades of improved weldability(normal strength steels, high strength steels and extra high strength steels)

Note:  Charpy V-notch test temperature  given by the DNV Rules for Classification of Ships Pt.2 Ch.3 Sec.5 E401not  same as  base material.

Thanks,

winai
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-27-2013 17:21
I cannot speak for other folks that frequent the Forum, but I can profess that I know nothing about DIN requirements.

From the provisions you cited, I would expect they are speaking of the base metal you are actually testing. Then again, I don't know squat about DIN.

Al
Parent - - By Ehsan (*) Date 05-27-2013 17:31
Winai,
I'm not familiar with DNV so  just reordered some items and copy-paste(d) them like following:

extra high strength steels : same as required for the base material(longitudinal)
normal strength steels and high strength steels: 70% of the longitudinal value is to be used
For grades of improved weldability: same as required for the base material(transverse)

So in first and 3rd items it has to be the same as base material with a little difference.
I hope it will be useful.
Regards,
Ehsan
Parent - - By S. WINAI (**) Date 05-28-2013 05:45
Ehsan,
I'm just  confusing about Charpy V notch test temperature  DNV rule description .

Because, WPS  required  to meet AWS D1.1 and DNV Rules.
PQR test base metal is NVF 36 + NVF 36 high strength steel normal weld ability grade.   
NVF 36 base metal spce CVN -60 ºC  but The requirements given by the DNV Rules for Classification of Ships Pt.2 Ch.3 Sec.5 E401 is -40 ºC . So if I conduct CVN test  at -40 ºC.
This test still meet DNV rule have mention above ?
Thanks,
Winai
Parent - By Ehsan (*) Date 05-28-2013 10:00 Edited 05-28-2013 10:03
Winai,
I a not familiar with DNV so try the following link which  I found through the web.  I think in page 13 of the  file (in the table)  you can see that the temperature for charpy impact test of NVF is -60C.
Regards,
Ehsan

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=DNV-OSB101&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fexchange.dnv.com%2Fpublishing%2Fcodes%2Fdownload.asp%3Furl%3D2009-04%2Fos-101.pdf&ei=d32kUZS8BcH8Ofz8gMAE&usg=AFQjCNHlVb0QbvXi9ZQtyfTKo4bs_dlyhQ

EDIT: By the way I attached the file in case you can't download it!!
Attachment: os-b101_2009-04.pdf (541k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Charpy V-notch test temperature