Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding of patches inside vessel
- - By vignesh5585 (*) Date 05-29-2013 12:32
Dear All,

we found patches inside a pressure vessel which is due to corrosion i want to know which code and how to weld the patches.

Material "sa 515 gr 70"
thk :40 mm

patch size is 40cm x 20 cm and depth is 5 mm which was found by UT.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-29-2013 12:52
If this is in petrochemical service, follow API 510.
How the patches are welded will depend on the base material and service.
This work should be done by a qualified repair company. If this is a stamped vessel the repairs will need to be done by a contractor with a ASME "R" stamp. The datum will need to be updated with a repair datum added to the original vessel datum.
Parent - - By vignesh5585 (*) Date 05-30-2013 07:34
Dear All,

Yes this is R stamp job but i dnt have exact knowledge of r stamping job. So can any 1 help me
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-30-2013 10:25
Oh dear!:confused:
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-30-2013 18:35
What is the service?
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 05-31-2013 01:23
vignesh5585

API 510 is an inspection code applies to all refining and chemical process vessels that have
been placed in service (in-Service Inspection, Rating, Repair, and Alteration).

You may engage an API 510 Authorized Inspector, get those inspector from Inspection Firm who had been seasoned in API 510 requirements.

What API 510 says on repair organization? i.e.: Any one of the following who makes repairs in accordance with the inspection code:

a. The holder of a valid ASME Certificate of Authorization that authorizes the use of an appropriate ASME Code symbol stamp
(e.g. U-stamp).
b. The holder of a valid R-stamp issued by the National Board.
c. An owner or user of pressure vessels who repairs his or her own equipment.
d. A contractor whose qualifications are acceptable to the pressure-vessel owner or user.
e. An individual or organization that is authorized by the legal jurisdiction.

~Joey~
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-31-2013 12:49
Basically an 8" x 16" x 3/16" thk overlapping patch was discovered in a 1-1/2" thk shell pressure vessel???

May I ask what the stamped plate on the outside of the pv states?  And what country/jurisidiction does it reside?  Service, MAWP, temp?

QCRobert
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-01-2013 20:57
After reading through his past post I will assume it is petrochemical or refining service and will fall under API 510.
Which means regardless of the accumulated knowledge you may glean from this forum, until the corrosion is inspected by a API 510 inspector and the repair scope is prepared and submitted by the AI you are wasting your time.
The AI will inspect or review the results of the inspection and determine the repair procedure. As the OP does not know the responsibilities and requirements of the holder of a "R" stamp I will make an assumption the OP is not a API 510.
That said, what you need to do is get a 510 inspector and have that individual look at what you have and make the recommendations. You are not authorized by API 510 to make the decision.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-02-2013 14:17 Edited 06-02-2013 21:19
Vignesh,
I would recommend you read the replys from the last time you posted about "R-Stamp"work. There are some great questions and info you can review.

Thanks
Jim
- - By Ilario Falo Date 07-03-2014 00:32
Dear All

I'm working in a oil company as static equipment engineer , since I don't have much experience,  I'm reading some codes for pressure vessel maintenance & repairs. I just saw a temporary repair called "Lap Band Repair". I would like to know how is this technique? is a welded patch? can you share some picture or video for better understanding of this technique?

Thanks for your support
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-03-2014 09:23
This is from an older version of API 510

"8.1.5.1.3 Lap Band Repairs

A full encirclement lap band repair may be considered if the following requirements are met:

a. The design is approved and documented by the engineer and inspector.

b. The repair is not covering a crack in the vessel shell.

c. The band is designed to contain the full vessel design pressure.

d. All longitudinal seams in the repair band are full penetration butt welds with the design joint efficiency and inspection consistent with the appropriate code.

e. The circumferential fillet welds attaching the band to the vessel shell are designed to transfer the full longitudinal load in the vessel shell, using a joint efficiency of 0.45. Where significant, the eccentricity effects of the band relative to the original shell shall be considered in sizing the band attachment welds.

f. Appropriate surface NDE shall be conducted on all attachment welds.

g. Fatigue of the attachment welds, such as fatigue resulting from differential expansion of the band relative to the vessel shell, should be considered, if applicable.

h. The band material and weld metal are suitable for contact with the contained fluid at the design conditions and an appropriate corrosion allowance is provided in the band.

i. The damage mechanism leading to the need for repair shall be considered in determining the need for any additional monitoring and future inspection of the repair.

*See ASME PCC-2 Article 2.6 on full encirclement sleeves for vessel nozzles."

Look for Chapter 5, Page 69, Figure 5.6 in this book linked below which covers to API 510 Section 8, under the heading "Alterations Re-rating and Repairs":

http://books.google.com/books?id=a3dwAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=pressure+vessel+%22Lap+Band+Repair%22&source=bl&ots=AbKBwKvuHm&sig=9AEdi3riYPpPPDkoD7mSF2s9HGc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sAq1U_DAJYW_8gHAmYDICQ&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=pressure%20vessel%20%22Lap%20Band%20Repair%22&f=false

The difference between that picture in Figure 5.6 is the temporary lap patch is localized like a "band aid" whereby a full encirclement lap band would cover the entire circumference of the pressure vessel like a belt covering your entire "waist."

If I can locate some pictures to post I'll do so and then again, somebody else might do so before I do.:grin:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Ilario Falo Date 07-03-2014 22:45
Thank you very much, you helped me a lot.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-04-2014 08:45
Glad I could help... Btw, "WELDCOME" TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST AWS WELDING FORUM!:grin::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Ilario Falo Date 07-05-2014 00:57
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding of patches inside vessel