Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / classic III murphy/tattle tale switch wont reset
- - By louieRD (**) Date 06-01-2013 15:26
hello, i have been working on my classic III wiring and it is all running and good,EXCEPT,the murphy switch doesnt reset itself for hours,a day,or sometimes never,the hour meter just keeps clicking away, i have gotten to the point where im scratching my head and cant figure this out, i have always gotten solid advice or help here, to kinda give me a fresh set of eyes on the situation cause im stumped, any advice or a leed to keep this investigation going would be very appreciated
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 06-03-2013 00:04
Check connections (wires, breaker, fuses) & guages making sure not a short or bad guage or bad wire.  Clean the switchbox out if none of that helps could just be a bad tattle tale switchbox.  There is a wiring diagram & other literature on the FW Murphy website click on the tabs to get those.  Kay just posted a Classic III diagram on here.

http://www.fwmurphy.com/products/controllers/standard-model-annunciators

http://billswelderrepair.com/files/im529CL3G-Dopman.pdf
- By empire welding (**) Date 06-05-2013 23:50 Edited 06-05-2013 23:52
I have the same machine and initially thought it was the Murphy switch.  Changed it but no luck.  I had been shorting out the oil pressure unit on the block to kill the murphy switch and kill the hour meter.  It ended up being that oil pressure sending unit that was bad.  It is located right by the starter.  Changed that out a problem solved. Now i have a extra murphy switch.  I looked for the box with the part number but can't find it but I did purchase a new one from Airgas welder repair shop.
- - By empire welding (**) Date 06-05-2013 23:57
Lincoln P/N is S14446-1
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 06-06-2013 13:11
Thankyou very much for the informative responses fixalinc and empire welding for the help, the situation is exactly how you described, i am replaceing that oil pres. Switch, thanks again!
Parent - By empire welding (**) Date 06-07-2013 20:47
I amy have given you the wrong part number because there is one oil pressure sending unit that goes to the gauge with to wire terminals and the on that goes to the murphy switch has only one terminal.  Make sure you order the one with one terminal.  I replaced both because the one with two terminals was corroded.
- By empire welding (**) Date 06-06-2013 19:06
No problem.  I did fail to mention that you can also check your water temp gauge and the the murphy switch by bringing machine up to temp and then using a small allen wrench and cutting off the machine that way and making sure that the gauge in still functioning.  I am 99% positive it is that oil pressure switch that is faulty.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / classic III murphy/tattle tale switch wont reset