Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / T-Joints and Fillet Weld Pre-Qualification
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-05-2013 21:48
So, here is a question I have wrestled with for a considerable time...

I would bet that most everyone has heard this same phrase, 'All fillet welds are Pre-Qualified'.  Really?  So, why don't we take a close look at the wording from D1.1 ?  But, first, another aspect of this to make sure we are all on the same page.  Lets describe a SPECIFIC FILLET WELD .  We are going to look at a T-joint for a stiffener plate 3/8" thick 4" tall by 18" long.  The weld symbol depicts a 5/16" fillet weld both sides on all three sides.  So, a 90° angle of the stiffener plate to the web of the wide flange beam with fillet welds to the top and bottom flange and the web.  Just for the sake of argument, let's call this A992 Wide Flange with a stiffener of A-36 flatbar.  And we are dealing with D1.1 and an acceptable process. 

Next, we need a WPS.  Is this a Pre-Qualified Joint?  Pre-Qualified Joint and Weld Combination?  I ask the second because the answer to the first would be 'YES'.  I base that upon Prequalified Details TC-U4a, B-U5b, TC-U5b, and others.  The Joint is Prequalified if that is the only part of the question.   But, I am not after a PJP nor a CJP Joint.  I want to know about a T-Joint with ?SIMPLE? fillet welds.  So where to start?  Please follow my train of thought...

1) Clause 2.2.5.1 starts us out with the requirements for Shop Drawings for various Fillet Welds and Skewed T-Joints.  Plain fillet welds are between 80° to 100°.  Skewed fillet welds are less than 80° and greater than 100°. 

2) Clause 2.3.3 takes us to the next step with more defining of skewed fillet welds and tells us they are indeed prequalified and informs us there are details in Figure 3.11. No where in this Section and it's sub-sections nor in Figure 3.11 do we find anything about fillets in angles between 80° and 100°. 

*What some may be able to learn from these sections is that we as inspectors do not normally need bother about Z-loss and other calculations.  This points out clearly that the engineer in the Contract Documents calls out the Effective throat from which the Fabricators and Erectors detailers are to calculate the skewed angle, welding process, Z-loss and call out a fillet weld leg size for the welders and inspectors to comply to.  Without cutting and macro-etching you have no accurate way to make sure the welder accomplished the effective throat requirement.  That is why welders need to be properly qualified and all perameters strictly adhered to so that we can be reasonably assured the acceptable weld has been made. 

3) Clause 2.8 Takes us through more requirements to do with fillet welds.  ALL have to do with fillets in lap joints as do the applicable Figures 2.1, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8.

4) Now lets go to the previously mentioned (from another thread) Clause 3.9  Fillet Weld Requirements.
Here we find several factors:
  a. Minimum sizes are found at Table 5.8, but nothing about the T-joint with a fillet weld being prequalified;
  b. 3.9.1 Details for Nontubular where it sends us to Figures 2.1 & 2.4.  Well, those are for lap joints. And the text of 3.9.1 says that this is the "limitations for prequalified fillet welds."  NO T-JOINTS MENTIONED!;
  c. The next sub-clause, 3.9.2 is for Tubular and does not apply to our question;
  d. Sub-clause 3.9.3 goes into the Skewed T-Joints and is not what we are dealing with except to add that it takes us to Figure 3.11 which along with Figures 3.5 thru 3.10 only confirms the pre-qualification of skewed joints and their applicable fillet welds in tubular and non-tubular applications with angles and bevels that apply; and
  e. Table 3.7 gives us sizes for Single Pass Fillet Welds and a Table titled Prequalified WPS Requirements. But, those requirements can be applicable to the fillets in skewed joints with obtuse or acute angle fillets per previously mentioned Figures.

SO, what have I missed?  Where does one single Clause or Sub-clause put a T-joint fillet weld into the Pre-Qualified classification?  I see it totally excluded from any applicable prequalified detail.  The extent of details, text, and tables describing applicable variables for being prequalified being what they are, how can this joint be prequalified when it is nowhere listed, detailed, or described?

Thus, are fabricators supposed to get a PQR on a T-Joint welded with a fillet weld in order to write a WPS that will be applicable to the work described at the beginning of this thread? 

If not, show me where the code states they are prequalified. 

Finally, I have tried thru the years to include this joint in many of the clauses and sub-clauses already mentioned but in reality, it can't happen.  It is very clear that this precise configuration has been left out.  Now, if someone can show me where I have missed something, GREAT!  But, I have been coming across more and more inspectors raising the same question and wondering where it is justified to call this SIMPLE T-Joint with fillet weld a prequalified combination. 

What say ye gentlemen?? 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 06-06-2013 03:51
Well, this post just won me a bottle of Brandy.  Thanks for the post Brent.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2013 03:56
Not my goal to 'win' or lose.  Trying to find out what the basis is for the claim or if we need to rethink our position on fillets. 

I find it a little interesting though that you are the only responder thus far. 

Either way the discussion goes, I am in the process of wording a Technical Inquiry to the D1.1 Committee.  I already have one sent in and am working on a couple of others.  i find it curious that there are so many areas where engineers, contractors, and inspectors disagree with an interpretation/application but no one bothers to try to get an official interpretation.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 06-06-2013 04:17
I've tried to point this fillet issue out to others before.  I really didn't see an issue with it because to me it's spelled out fairly well.  If there was a disagreement between me and others it was kicked up to the EOR for his decision.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 12:15
Brent read through C-2.3.4 (particulary the paragraph that speaks about the 90° fillet weld). I think the code spells out lap joints in many places due to the fact that there are lots of considerations to take into account when designing and welding lap joints vs a simple "T" fillet weld. The commentary also talks about why prequalifieds are permissible in the first place in C-3.2.1. Ask yourself what joint configuration the most common in all structural steel construction....a simple "T" fillet weld. I bet if you looked at the percentages of welds types and joint configuartions all combined one would find that more than 90% of all welding will be 90° "T" fillets. Every stiffener, shear tab, joist stabilizer, etc fillet welds....are all 90° "T" fillet welds.....lap joints would include pour stops and clip angles.
Just a few thoughts.....i don't have time to run references at the moment, but I will try to dig into this a bit further when i get a few fires put out that are very pressing at the moment.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2013 14:49
Come on now John,

First, we all know the commentary IS NOT Code.

Second, that is from a Clause about Design considerations and factors.  It has nothing to do with telling me that the code calls that joint and weld combo a prequalified weld.  It only confirms info about fillets that we can all easily accept. 

Third, I acknowledge that at least 80% (you say 90%, I choose to be a bit more conservative) of all welds made in structural work are 90° fillet welds.  That is totally beside the point.  The code does not tell me anywhere that that weld is prequalified.  We have made an assumption that is not supported by the code as far as I can tell. 

I have five inspectors from three separate companies in the shop I am currently doing TPI work at who all have the same issue.  I decided it was time to clear this one up.  It is not up to me to assume anything nor ascribe any aspect to the code that the code itself does not specify.  I don't read the Constitution that way.  I don't read corporate law or any law that way.  I was not taught to do that with anything.  It's absence does not make it acceptable, absence speaks of it's non-acceptance, unlawful, not tolerated, etc.  The Code tells us what is allowable.  It does not list everything that is not allowed.  And, it is a minimal standard and guideline at best.

So, where does it even begin to suggest that this is acceptable as a prequalified weld?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 15:37
I know the Commentary is not code...but it gives the reader some insight as to what the code writer was thinking. That is the specific reason that the commentary is included in your D1.1...to use when making decisions on how to interpret the actual code portion.

I will agree that I'm assuming a few things, and I'm assuming because in my experience when the code is silent on an issue, then it doesn't have a problem. The issues that the code is aware of, is mentioned, and all sorts of code is written to make sure everyone is on the same page. The code has been around and has been tried and tested for many years now....it's been changing to keep up with and resolve cloudy issues. I agree that we can't just go around making up things and need a document to go on to specify minimum criteria to meet to be acceptable.

Sure wasn't trying to stir you up, the first sentence sort of comes across like you got mad because I was trying to participate in your discussion.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2013 17:17
No no John,

I'm not mad at all.  Not even worked up.  And especially at you.  The phrase was just an attention getter and direction pointer.  Don't you start a sentence that way on occassion when you are trying to make sure someone stops and thinks about what they just said and it's context with the subject matter?

Anyway, I do appreciate any and all comments.  As I said to 99205, this isn't about being right, or wrong.  It's about nailing something down and making sure there are no mistakes being made. 

Can we look at it and say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the code specifically calls this weld prequalified.  I know it is allowable, with a PQR.  But, where can we PROVE it is prequalified?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 17:55
First what is the definition of a fillet weld?
AWS A3.0:2010 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions
"Fillet Weld. A weld of approxiamtely triangular cross section joining two surfaces approximately ar right angles to each other in a joint, T-joint, or corner joint. See Figs B.18, B.21(B), B.23(G), B.23(H), B.24(E), B.25" -(other Figures were left out as they are not "T"-joints and you don't have a problem with those)

Now, If a person cannot write a prequalified WPS for a Fillet Weld(remember that the "T"-joint is included in this definition), then why are there requirements for fillet welds listed in Table 3.7?

Table 3.7 Prequalified WPS Requirements
Variable:
Maximum Single Pass Fillet Weld Size

Then...there is all of that that Al followed and gave directions to.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2013 18:50
John,
Note my last post under Al's great post.  It was not the fillet weld definition that was a problem.

And note, that part of 3.7 (3.7.3.2) is addressing fillet welds on Weathering Steel.  Follow the sub clause up to the clause for proper interpretation.  And, it states that they can be made, not that they are prequalified.  But they don't fall into our material class as addressed in my first post anyway. 

I hope my last couple of paragraphs under Al's post state my position as having cleared this up but still not satisfied that it is stated well in the code.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 18:23
Ok, glad that you and I are on the same page...hard to see facial expressions over the internet......it's all good....carry on:cool:
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 06-06-2013 15:16 Edited 06-06-2013 15:43
Welderbrent,

This was the basis for one of my first questions on this forum, for which quite a stir was made.  

4.19 "The qualification tests are not intended to be used as guides for welding or tack welding during actual construction.  The latter shall be performed in conformance with a WPS"

4.22 "The welding personnel shall follow a WPS applicable to the qualification test desired."

I can't see how a CWI can write the required WPS for the T-Joint welder (or WPS) qualification test and it be not be prequalified.  I see what you're saying though, and the easy fix is for AWS to put one in Clause 3 and be done with it.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 15:48 Edited 06-06-2013 16:04
Gentlemen;

Attached is my understanding of skewed joints and the weld joining the intersecting members;

Fillet Welds - Base on AWS D1.1:2010

Starting with a clean slate, no preconceived notions about the status of prequalification other than to determine if a fillet weld is prequalified.

Starting Point
Clause 3.9 - Table 5.8 for minimum acceptable fillet weld sizes based on base metal thickness
Subordinate Clause 3.9.1 Details (Nontubular) – See Figures 2.1 and 2.4 for the limitations for prequalified fillet welds.
  Figure 2.1 – lap joint and max, fillet size
  Figure 2.4 – lap joint and min lap length / double fillet to prevent rotation

Subordinate Clause 3.9.2 Details (Tubular) – not at issue, so skip

Subordinate Clause 3.9.3 Skewed T-joint – conformance with figure 3.11
Figure 3.11 depicts several skewed T-joints with different dihedral angles. Notice the dihedral angle of figure (A): 60 degree min. 
We have the following: The figure allows any acute dihedral angle larger than 60 degrees – up to a maximum of 90 degrees at which point the dihedral angle is obtuse, i.e., more than 90 degrees.
Continuing with same figure; the obtuse dihedral angle must be less than 135 degrees, which includes everything down to and including 90 degrees. Anything less than 90 degrees takes you back to my previous paragraph.   

Conclusion:
All the conditions and requirements of a prequalified fillet weld is contained in clause 3.9 including the subordinate clauses with a reference to Figure 3.11. Any nontubular connection where the butting and nonbutting members intersect at any angle is considered to be a skewed T-joint per clauses 3.9.3 and 2.4.3. When the dihedral angle is more than 80 degrees, but less than 100 degrees the joint is simple called a T-joint by most people and it can be joined by a prequalified fillet weld(s) without any additional considerations regarding the detailing/sizing of the weld. That is to say, the weld is simply specified by the leg dimension.

The weld joining the intersecting members are still prequalified when the acute dihedral angle is between 30 degrees and  80 degrees, however, the weld must comply with additional requirements regarding the detailing and dimensions of the weld. Likewise, the weld on the obtuse side is prequalified provided the details comply with the details of Figure 3.11.

Clause 2.4.3 provides the designer with the information needed to properly detail the weld (sizes) joining the intersecting members of skewed T-joints (includes T-joints). This clause references Figure 3.11 for prequalified fillet welds, which includes details A, B, C, and D.

The weld joining two skewed intersecting members is prequalified if the conditions of clause 3.9 and Figure 3.11 are met. The detailing of said joint must be in accordance with clause 2.4.3.

If here is  problem, the problem usually lies with the detailing of the joint by the detailer. Per D1.1, the fillet weld is only prequalified for skewed angles of 80 min degrees to 100 degrees max. Other than that, the prequalified weld is no longer a fillet weld, but is simply a weld in a skewed joint. If you read clauses 2.4.3.2 and 2.4.3.3 and 2.4.3.5 carefully, you will note the term fillet weld is not used.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2013 18:45 Edited 06-06-2013 20:07
Al,

I'd like you to take careful look at the wording in Clauses 2.3.3 and 3.9.3 with their sub clauses and at the details on Figure 3.11.  They go from 0-80°, and from 100-180°.  They do not include 80-100°.  Take careful note of the usage of the greater than (>) and less than (<) signs as well.  And on the Figure 3.11 details, particularly notice the arc arrow is inclusive of.

First, we need to start with the Codes own definition of a 'Skewed' Fillet Weld.  (Now, I am referencing my 2008 so sometimes my Clause id's are a little off from your 2010 as 2.3 is 2.4 in the 2010. But most wording through this area is the same).  2.2.5.2 tells us what they are considering a standard fillet weld, it is between 80° and 100°.  Then in paragraph (2) it states "For welds ... angles less than 80° or greater than 100°..."  But especially in 2.3.3.1 (or 2.4.3.1 in 2010) General. T-joints in which the angle between joined parts is greater than 100° or less than 80° shall be defined as skewed T-joints. (bold for emphasis-mine)

So, we are limited in what we call a 'skewed T-joint'. 

Second, Figure 3.11 is titled 'Prequalified Skewed T-Joint Details (Nontubular)'.  Thus, we can only look at this from the aspect of the definition of the Skewed T-Joint.  So, when we look at Detail (A) we see this: Acute angle- goes from 80° max (based upon the definition) down to 60° min (based on 3.9.1 and 2.3.3.1 as well as the detail angle reference). 
And from the obtuse angle side- goes from 100° min (based upon the definition) up to 135° max (based upon previous). 
The arc arrow takes us from the correct 0 line and gives us the direction but does not give us both limits, the text when defining a skewed T-joint gives us the limits.  We can't assume that just because the arrow goes from 0 to 135° that the joint angle includes all possibilities in between.  That would not fit the definition given to us.  Note the phrase 'shall be defined as' in 2.3.3.1 (2.4.3.1 in 2010).  'Shall' removes the wiggle room. 

Please, Al, how do we get to where we can say that 3.9 gives us the requirements for a prequalified fillet weld in a 90° T-joint? 

Now, I think I just put something together.  Al, are we to assume when 3.9 opens with it's one liner to 'See Table 5.8 for minimum fillet weld sizes.' that it is stating that fillet welds in a T-joint are prequalified as long as they also meet the qualifications of the sizing requirements of the Table?  If so, while I think I understand that, it needs to be worded better. 

I still think there are some things that people are looking at incorrectly when applying the skewed details and other factors.  But, I think I can justify the T-joint with a fillet weld as being prequalified.  But, I still intend to send a Technical Inquiry and make the committee clarify that.  It is too ambiguous.

One more point then to everyone as I sign off, keep the skewed details and their prequalification separated from T-joints that are between 80-100°.  But, it makes little difference if both are prequalified other than as Al stated some are not fillet welds but bevel groove welds (to be watched to make sure the welder is properly qualified).  My entire question was concerning fillet welds in this T-joint.

Thank you John and Al as well as others for comments, time, and assistance.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2013 19:16
As an addendum:

If you look at D1.1, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, & 3.13; check out the wording of the opening paragraphs.

3.9 needs to read something like: T-joint fillet welds are prequalified without performing the WPS qualification described in Clause 4, provided the sizing of Table 5.8 for minimum fillet weld sizes and other limitations and requirements are met.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 19:40

>3.9 needs to read something like: T-joint fillet welds are prequalified without performing the WPS qualification described in Clause 4, provided the sizing of Table 5.8 for minimum fillet weld sizes and other limitations and requirements are met.

I like that idea...
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 19:36
One more stab at adding definitions..."T"-joint
....again in AWS A3.0:2010 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions
T-Joint. A joint type in which the butting end of a work piece is aligned approximately perpendicular with either it's surface or the surface of the non-butting work piece. See Figs.B.1(C),...(other Figures mentioned were ommitted)

Fig B.1(C) -this figure calls it a T-joint and gives a Fillet weld as an applicable weld in the list beside that Figure.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2013 20:00
Yes, but, not code and not stated to be prequalified.

I may be out on a limb here, but that was the total object: Code defined prequalified status of a fillet weld in T-joint that was not a lap or Skewed joint. 

And, as stated above, I think I am okay other than it should be worded better in 3.9

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 21:22 Edited 06-07-2013 01:46
Skewed T-joints have changed slightly with the release of each new edition during the last decade.

The 2002 edition include a number of changes in the requirements for skewed T-joints. The code defined a skewed T-joint in clause 2.3.3.1 as any T-joint in which the angle between joined parts is greater than 100 degrees or less than 80 degrees.

In the next clause, 2.3.3.2, the code has requirements for acute angles between 60 and 80 degrees that states the design drawing must specify the required effective throat while the shop drawing must specify the required leg dimension. This was new, something different from past practice.

Interestingly, nether clause called the welds "fillet welds".

Clause 2.3..3.3 adds the Z-loss for skews between 30 and 60 degrees. Skews where the angle is less than 30 degrees were not permitted to transfer applied forces.    

In short, the requirements for the design of skewed joints was very similar to what they are today.

The Figure 3.11 was as it is in the current edition. The labeling looks the same as in the current edition. Figure 3.11 (A) indicates the acute angle must be 60 degrees or larger, the obtuse angle 135 degrees or smaller. As such, it includes the 90 degree T-joint just as it does in the current edition.

Figure 3.11 (B) is the same as it is currently and it still includes the 90 degree T-joint.

Figure 3.11 (C) shows the obtuse side of the joint where the obtuse angle is greater than 100 degrees prepared so the welded portion of the joint has an included angle of 60 to 90 degrees, as it still does.

Figure 3.11 (D) shows the acute side of the joint larger than or equal to 30 degrees, but less than 60 degrees and where the acute angle is welded with the Z-loss indicated.

Clause 3.9 includes fillet welds other than reinforcing fillet welds used in conjunction with groove welds, but subordinate clause 3.9 does not include a reference to "fillet welds."

Back to the 2010 edition of AWS D1.1:

Had D1.1 used the heading 3.9.3 T-joints, there may be less confusion. In my mind the skewed T-joint is nothing other than a class of T-joint that has additional requirements imposed. I believe much of the confusion stems from some individuals insisting on calling a welded skewed T-joint a "fillet weld." I refrain from calling the weld on the acute side of a skewed T-joint a "fillet weld" when the acute angle is less than 80 degrees. Likewise I refrain from calling the weld on the obtuse side of the joint a "fillet weld" when the obtuse angle is greater than 100 degrees.  It is consistent with the terminology of recent and current editions of D1.1.

It may be easier to understand what welds are prequalified if people would simple eliminate the word fillet weld from their vocabulary when speaking of skewed T-joints when the dihedral angle between the adjacent members is less than 80 degrees or more than 100 degrees. The current edition of D1.1 does not use the word "fillet" when addressing dihedral angles of less than 80 degrees or more than 100 degrees. They are simply welded skewed T-joints. They are not fillet welds and they are not groove welds, they are something unto themselves.

So, is a skewed T-joint prequalified? My response is yes, if the requirements of clause 3.9.3 and Figure 3.11 (A), (B), (C), and (D) are met. If the dihedral angle is between 80 and 100 degrees the joint is a "T-joint, if not, it isn't a T-joint, but it is a skewed T-joint.

In closing, is the skewed T-joint a subcategory of a T-joint or is the T-joint a special subclass of a Skewed T-joint? I submit the T-joint is a subclass of the skewed T-joint.

Back to the original discussion: "How many fairies can dance on the point of the needle?"

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2013 22:10
And now that finally sank in,  along with John's additional definition (which we all know but need to be reminded of).  So, I looked and sure enough, when past the 80 or 100° mark so as to be considered a Skewed T-joint it is no longer termed a Fillet weld.  It is still calculated by effective throat and translated to leg size for measurement as the fillet weld but it is not so classified in the Code. 

Never-the-less, I still feel that 3.9 introductory paragraph needs some better phrasing.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-07-2013 01:40
Codes are developed by people.

Codes don't always perceive every possible eventuality.

Some of contributors are all that not articulate.

Few committees start with a clean slate when they revise an existing code. They work with the mess handed to them by the previous committee members. The new committee members have to work around the objections of the originators still alive and sitting on the committee. After all, the previous generation thought they did a bang up job of developing the original document.

Committees have a tendency to have different views. One faction sees a horse, the other side a burro. When they wrap things up and put it to press they usual end up with, well you know what I mean.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / T-Joints and Fillet Weld Pre-Qualification