Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / I despise this stainless fluxcore... Any ideas?
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-10-2013 21:04
We are still working on this damn super duplex stainless with fluxcore and keep getting these ugly welds in the verticle position.  as you can see the horizontal ones look totally fine but the verticles are nasty nasty... cant seem to shake the poor slag formation and lumps... any ideas??
Attachment: Esabff1.JPG (222k)
Attachment: Esabff-1.JPG (0B)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-10-2013 21:19
Offhand it looks like you are too hot, your gun angle is too extreme (very criticlawith FCAW of these alloys) AND, you perhaps have too much stickout (another critical variable for these alloys). Run it tight, straight, and cool. And perhaps try another brand of wire.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-10-2013 22:14
Are you using the parameters recommended by the manufacturer?

Voltage, wire feed speed, electrode extension (contact tip to work distance), etc.

Al
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-10-2013 22:19
I have been completely in touch with the manufacturer.. They came out one day and had it running pretty decent then here we are... Cant make it work the same way again.... They just told me a few minutes ago that we should run an .035 wire instead of the .045 and run more amps and less voltage to get rid of what they call "secondary slag"

Not too sure about this..
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-10-2013 22:27
More amps and less voltage will close up your arc length some. Similar results can be achieved by reducing your contact tube to work distance. The SS FCAW wires I have experience with are limited to 308 and 316 so I may not be much help.

I have always had to manipulate the wire side to side some to flatten the bead out. As with most processes pausing on the sides and fast across the middle will flatten things out. Just not so fast you leave the puddle.  I usually like the parameters to be in a range where the arc is short and there is no spatter loss across the arc.

Base metal thickness and temp before welding can also affect how well it runs in positions other than flat.

Check the ranges of parameters as mentioned before and then tweak within that range to get better control of the arc and puddle. If its throwing spatter something probably is not right.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
weldingclassroom.org
http://weldingclassroom.wordpress.com/
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-11-2013 11:31
What sheilding gas are you using?
Looks like pure CO2?
I prefer 98% Argow / 2% Oxy for SS FCAW...

Tim
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-11-2013 17:51
we finally got it dialed in!   and we are running 75/25 according to ESAB and what they reccommend  argon/co2

here are some pics!!
Attachment: ESABFluxcoreverticleNH1.JPG (236k)
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-11-2013 22:12
Al has the right ideal of using the parameters recommended by the manufacturer because some Flux Core wire uses CO2 and some out for75AR/25Co2. Just the change in welding gas might make the difference and it should tell what gas to use in the manufactures recommendations.

M.G.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / I despise this stainless fluxcore... Any ideas?