Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Flanges onto Pipe and Bolting - Warping Issues?
- - By sudnak Date 06-10-2013 21:21
Hi All,

I am an artist/fabricator out of California. I am making a 30 foot tall rideable chaotic pendulum, and have some questions about flanges. Essentially, the pendulum will be held up by a tripod of 6 inch steel pipe. These legs will be around 30 feet in length, but will break apart into 15 foot sections. What I plan to do is weld a 2 foot circular flange onto the cut end of the pipe, and brace the flange with (8) 90 degree pieces of plate. This circular flange will line up with another flange attached to the next pipe, and bolt together with 8 structural bolts. Here is an image to help visualize: http://imgur.com/D7plgPD (I know its not perfect perspective, please forgive).

I plan on pre-drilling the flanges and bolting them together before welding, so I can get them lined up. The pipe, flange, and plate are 1/4 inch steel, and I am using a Miller MIG machine to put it all together. What I worry about is that when I weld it all on, the plate will warp. The bolts will then get pinched in and not come out, or if they do come out, will not be able to get back in. Has anyone had any experience welding around bolted materials?

Thanks!
Nathan
PS, for anyone interested here are some images of what the finished piece will look like: http://www.nathankandus.com/Chaotic_Affair2.html
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-11-2013 00:10
I would have this design reviewed by a structural engineer. 1/4 inch thick flange material sounds a little questionable.

Al
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 06-11-2013 14:22
Agreed.  Especially since this will be "rideable".  I think you'll be surprised how fixable 1/4" material is at those lengths and loads.
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 06-11-2013 00:44
Welding that up should not be a problem, tack it all together then weld it up couple inches at a time moving from one side to the other and letting it cool before continuing.
smaller diameter and thicker flange would be a little easier
  Tom
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-11-2013 13:01
Why not use standard 150# flat face slip on flanges. You may be able to eliminate the gussets by using the flanges instead of the homemade flanges. And would be easier to fit and weld. The slip-on's can make up for slight imperfections in your fitting also.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Flanges onto Pipe and Bolting - Warping Issues?