Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / got another one today.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 06-13-2013 02:03
this ones not hypothetical it actually happened. 

do to some urine poor engineering on this job I'm on i had to weld a T plate to the center of a stiffener plate that was already welded into the flange of the beam.     due to very limited clearance i couldn't even get eyes on it with a sock hood and flip lens.   Plate was 1/2" 12"x12" that was just welded both sides to a 1/2" web stiffener in a W12x68.

Ended up having to use a mirror to see.   I'm not going to lie, I actually impressed myself with how quickly i got back into the swing of mirror welding after not doing it for at least 10 years.    The rub is it was FCAW NR-232 3G.    just a simple 1/4" fillet weld 12" long only requiring a VT.      The T.P.I. on the job wasn't sure about the answer and my code books were 75 miles away.     He passed them off and complemented me on a job well done in hard going.

BUT if he had been a stickler and gone strictly by the book would this have been acceptable to AWS D1.1 2010?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-13-2013 03:19
So, what is it that you are questioning?  Rather a mirror is acceptable for making a weld in tight places?  Rather the wire was acceptable for welding with a mirror?  I'm a little lost here.  Did you use pre-heat? That size WF may have needed it even though the plate wouldn't. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By Dualie (***) Date 06-13-2013 03:32
After reading that i decided i might have got a little to much sun today, that was quite a rambling mess.

My question was if it was acceptable to make a mirror weld with out having a special PQR or WPS.

it was done to my normal WPS for FCAW G3 position that requires no pre heat for anything under 1.5"
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 06-13-2013 10:39
I am not aware that the use or non use of a mirror is an essential variable requiring re-certification, but it does make you wonder on certain situations.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-13-2013 13:18
Yes, I can think of many situations that may make sense to do a test run to prove it could actually be completed in an acceptable fashion by the welder.  But, I don't really think this is one of those times. 

I see no reason to even wonder about it.  Means and methods for a D1.1 structural member, as long as the finished product can be visually inspected and passed all is good.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-13-2013 21:09
The use of a mirror is not an essential variable in any standard I'm aware of. However, if you were to be performing 'Mirror' welds on a regular or daily basis, common sense would dictate that some form of in-house testing would be advisable. I know when I worked for a power station shut down company, we had in-house training modules for confined space mirror welding of boiler tube and only those welders who had passed the course were allowed to perform actual production mirror welds.
- By Dualie (***) Date 06-14-2013 08:30
Thanks for the replay's.   

It had been quite a long time since i performed any mirror welds,  and then it was all TIG.   FCAW made it a bit more challenging but got her done.  

Just wanted to add this to my ever growing bag of "acceptable" tricks
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / got another one today.