Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / structural welding symbols
- - By chas Date 02-18-2003 18:20
If you have a 6x6 square tube welded to a 12x12 plate (centered) and a fillet weld symbol showing a fillet on the near side and far side of the arrowhead does the symbol mean weld opposing sides of the tube or does it mean weld the inside and the outside of the side the arrow is pointing to? I can't seem to find anything that will support one or the other as far as "standard" is concerned. Can anyone point me to a standard which covers this?

Parent - - By ziggy (**) Date 02-18-2003 18:29
I would start with the AWS A2.4 standard.
We recently concluded a six week quality assurance course with our detailers, fitters and welders which included welding symbols.
As for your question, if the 12x12 plate is centered, like a base plate, on the end of the tube, I would imagine that a weld all-around symbol would be sufficient with the fillet weld symbol on the arrow side of the reference line. As for the weld size, that is up to your own shop standard unless the EOR has directed otherwise.
Check out Figure 9(B) in the ANSI/AWS A2.4.
Hope that is of some help.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-18-2003 19:08
I would tend to do as ziggy suggested and weld "all around" the perimeter of the tube to the base plate. It seems that the weld symbol was mistakenly drawn as a two sided fillet. Just for kicks, you should ask the detailer and maybe he could shed some light on his intentions. This would give you an opportunity to show him what you would rather see on the drawing in the future. The detailer probably does not understand the symbol, and you could "kindly" show him the correct symbol. Unless the tube is very short, you could not get to the inside profile of that tube anyway.
John Wright
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-18-2003 19:39
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 02-18-2003 21:11
The described symbol means weld both sides of the joint.
How long is the tubing?
Is it short enough that you could weld the inside?
If not, the detailer should have used a different symbol.
Could he have meant that the tubing was to be welded only on two sides?
You better check and find out.
Who knows, it might have to be a full penetration weld.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-19-2003 14:26
The people who put welding symbols on drawings very often don't know the literal interpretation. According to A2.4-98 the correct symbol for what you have described most likely should have been an arrow side fillet with either the "all-around" circle at the reference line/arrow junction, or another arrow pointing to the opposite side. The arrow side/opposite side fillet symbol really means to weld the inside and outside of wherever the arrow is pointing but not necessarily all four sides unless arrows point there. A2.4 Fig. 9 page 17 &18 help to illustrate the arrow side symbol.

Also, "The American Welder" Mar/Apr 2000 article "Blueprint Bloopers: Common Mistakes with Welding Symbols" page 18 verifies the above info.

Parent - - By biyahero27 Date 02-21-2003 05:16
I agree with ziggy. He is correct. Most of the time, detailer doesnt know the meaning of the weld symbol that they are assigning in their drawing.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-21-2003 12:47
I was a detailer in a former life, be gentle when correcting him on his error.
John Wright
Parent - By biyahero27 Date 02-22-2003 12:43
Yes I agree with you John. You must be gentle in correcting anybody in the shop not only with the detailer. I corrected a lot of detailer in my previous companies and nobody got angry, they appreciated my correction.
Thanks for the reminder John.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / structural welding symbols

Powered by mwForum 2.29.2 © 1999-2013 Markus Wichitill