Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI practice test for API 1104
- - By 82henna Date 06-20-2013 15:00
I'm scheduled to take the CWI exam next month along with an AWS seminar. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or links as to where I could find some sample questions or practice tests that I could look over (I'll be taking the API 1104 exam). I've searched this forum quite a bit but have been unable to find any links that are currently valid.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-20-2013 15:55
I did the exact same thing. Same code book also.  I think if you are taking the seminar you will be given the API study guide which works very well... If your test date isnt for a while you can buy the book on the AWS website.  I remember there were a lot of "in service" questions about pipeline repair, and alot about welder qualification, and repair procedures.  Just make sure you can navigate the code book.  The study guide has sample test questions, and practice tests at the end of each chapter.  Hope that helps

J maxwell
Parent - - By 82henna Date 06-20-2013 16:17
I purchased the API codebook and have been looking it over. I've also read that I will be given the study guide during the seminar, I tried to request that it be sent out sooner but the rep. from AWS told me that was not possible and the materials would be given to me during the seminar.
My test is in a month, so I'm a bit hesitant to purchase the study guide at this point, not sure if the cost/benefit will be worth it for the short time I have it before the seminar.

Did you purchase the study guide prior to your seminar, or did you find the study time spent in the seminar to be sufficient?
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-20-2013 16:58
I got the study guide with the seminar, and seeing as I didnt have any formal training on how to read a code book and navigate one it was a lot to take in in such a short ammount of time.  I mean for 76$ its pretty expensive but if I had a month sooner with it to prep I would have done much better.  The seminars and what they have you studying makes for a long night of studying and if I remember correctly the seminar for API is only 4 hours.  ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU CAN.  If you know your strengths for the exam then balance your study time accordingly.  I knew the general knowledge very well so I didnt spend too much time on that.  The hands on was so so but I didnt know the code book or how to navigate one very good.  I had to take the API twice. missed it the first time by 2 points, second time I got a 92.  But the second time I did that study guide front to back 3 or 4 times.   If i had to do it all over again I would buy the study guide in advance, and maybe sell the new one they give you and see what I could get for it.  
Again though all this you should base on how well you know it already. 

-J
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 07-01-2013 22:05
I have a little advice for you, don't ignore the foot notes in the Standard. AWS has made sure that some of the answers are in the foot notes. As with any Code or Standard, read every bit of it, if there's a foot note pay attention.
Parent - By 82henna Date 07-02-2013 12:21
CWI7611 I purchased the study guide and that is exactly what I have been finding, a few of the sample questions have been taken from the footnotes.
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 07-02-2013 14:00
82henna  / Ladies and Gentlemen,
     Did CWI test 20 years ago. What worked for me was a model night next to place test was given day before taking the test to be as relaxed and sharp as possible. It is a 100 that has paid back good! 1104 did not have an index. I did D1.1 that does. I hope this is helpful.
                        Sincerely
Len Andersen weld@spemail.org
               914-536-7101   / 212-839-6599     8-4 New York Time , 4042 FAX , Co-worker 6381 / 914-237-7689 (H)
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1160 per year Caller Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post Office )
Parent - By bdangr Date 09-12-2013 20:27
I am taking the API Exam, too in Chicago. What about CM2000? I was a CWI before and let it expire. Hoping that AWS would create an equivalent Certification for Resistance Welding which I do
mostly. I took the CRWT Beta, now that's still not finished. I have the old Test Questions from Hobart. I know they aren't the same, but for study purposes are they worth it or has API 1104
changed so much? I now have the new Code Book, but I really can't afford the Seminar. I am using Gellerman's Book and Workbook. Please Advise.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI practice test for API 1104