Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / PT and MT cert class in Souther California
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-26-2013 15:32
Does anyone know by any chance where in Souther California where you can take a training course in PT and MT to get a certificate?  I have done both before but I wanted to look into a more formal training.  Im taking a UT class this fall that will make me a Level 1 but Im trying to get as much familiarity as I possibly can. 
Thanks!

-Jordan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-26-2013 16:10 Edited 06-26-2013 18:13
Jordan,
Don't want to be a wet blanket, but the UT class will only gain you the "training required" (40 hours of class room) to be a Level I UT per SNT-TC-1A:2011, but you still have to fullfill the working experience requirements(210 hours) to be a Level I UT. Most "Written Practices" are written for companies who are training NDT personnel, go by the Min requirements as per SNT-TC-1A. Just didn't want you to have expectations that by passing the course that you would end up at the end of the week a Level I UT. Can't tell you how many times that I've heard that.

If you are familiar with UT already, you may want to consider taking the two week course that will suffice for the classroom training(80 hours) to become a Level II UT. Then once you have completed your working experience requirements(an additional 630 hours) you could be a working Level II UT. Best Wishes with your training. If you have some UT questions along the way, post them up, if I can't answer them, there are lots of UT guys in here who can.
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-26-2013 17:28
JW-

I know it wont make me a level 1. the guy at cerritos college down here after the class if you want the hours they will set you up with something to start to knock out the 210 hours.  I just want to be very familiar with it. I doubt I will ever run an ultra sound but as a CWI I want to know what Im looking at and be able to catch things a tech might not be paying attention to.  The more stuff the better

-J
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-26-2013 17:44

>as a CWI I want to know what Im looking at

absolutely.

I understand, but find bouncing sound is alot of fun, and I expect that you will too. When I took my first UT class 15 years ago, I wasn't prepared for all of the new terminology and I had a headache by day two of the class and was wondering what I had gotten myself into. But it all comes together and makes sense later in the week. Looking back at week number one, I wonder what all the fuss was about, but I use that information almost everyday that I come to work. At the time it seemed like so much info during that first week, and it takes me a couple of minutes to get set up and to do what it took them all week to teach me. It was all so new and strange back then...you know figuring out what all of those thin, pointy lines were on the screen and whether they were important reflections or not. LOL
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-26-2013 19:50
Yea Im looking forward to the class, its not every day you find a JC that offers a course like that.. I mean its a 15 week course only $110... Cant beat it.... They are basically throwing free education at your face
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / PT and MT cert class in Souther California