Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / chop saws??
- - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-28-2013 02:59
What brand you like the best and why? can you cut say some schedule 80 4 inch pipe with the abrasive blades or the carbide blades?? Does it cut well and square if you take your time with the abrasive blades? This wood saw with a abrasive blade isn't cutting it.

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-28-2013 04:40
I didn't go wrong with my Makita. Cuts straight, blades last quite a while. Cold cut saws really can't be rivaled.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-28-2013 06:34
Thanks I looked at the Makita with the abrasive and have cut with them a few times just not sure i want to spend over 400 on a saw and then have to buy the carbide if it's even worth it. What model Makita do you have Sourdough?

Thanks
Chris
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-28-2013 12:00
I agree with Sourdough...cold cut saws are the way to go...blades are expensive, but if you don't tear them up, you can have them re-sharpened......but man they cut nice on something thin like the schedule 80 you are describing.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 06-28-2013 13:34
If your talking the smaller 14" chop saws with abrasive blades there good for light duty stuff, they get hot pretty quick cutting anything heavy wall or continuous cutting .
We have a 10hp with 20" blade that cuts some heavy stuff but the blades are not cheap
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-28-2013 14:11
Carbide is the way to go and actually more cost effective when abrasives are factored in.  A 14", 72 tooth blade re-sharpening cost $22 after tax.  Each blade should make 200- 250 cuts on 1.5" sched. 40.  The same number of cuts would take 5-6 14" abrasives at $6.50 after tax.  The initial layout is more but the cut quality and reliability is worth it IMO.  Besides that, if you have a lot of cutting to do, cutting chips with a carbide compared to the dust of abrasives at the end of the day will take less toll on you physically.

I've been using a DeWalt for the last 7 years.  Haven't even changed the brushes, although it's on the list of things to get to one of these days.  I initially paid around $500 for it and had a shop helper ruin the $180 blade first time I left him alone with it.  Used it with abraives for a long time untill going back to carbides.  So a few lessons learned:  the saw will work best and the blade last longest if the saw is clamped, wedged or bolted stationary to remove chatter.  Do not allow untrained people to use the saw.  Support your drop piece and swap the blade out when it get dull instead of wearing it out to the last.

The Supermax seems to be the saw most LWS companies are pushing.  Couple of things:  it does have a very heavy cast base which I assume is incorporated for tool stability, which is sensible however it is a heavy mother to pack around.  My DeWalt and the Makita are much more user freindly and with proper clamping will save a lot of physical effort.

A far as blades go it a toss up.  The original DeWalt blade is still going strong after re-sharpening and seems to have the most longevity of cuts but at $180 a little expensive.  Tenryu is considered top of the line at $150 but the one I bought developed a crack and was retired.  I've been using Diablos [Freud] the red ones, for $125 after tax and they are doing well so I'm staying with them.  The shop that does my sharpening tells me they see more cracks on Supermax than anything else so I steer away from them.

4" sched 80 is going to challenge any chop saw.  Most chopsaw manufactures limit section size for their tools.  Check the tool specs to see if you're exceeding it or be prepared to wreck the tool.  I don't see the vice on any of the available chopsaws really large enough to adequately hold 4".  Depending on your cut list, if you have a large umber of those to do I would be using a horizontal bandaw if there were a lot of them or just a portaband for a few.  That size/weight section cut is going to wear out a chopswa blade quickly, carbide or abrasive.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-28-2013 17:10
Thanks I guess i'll be saving my coins up or down the road maybe buying a horizontal saw. I have access to a band saw but it's a little ways away from me and the guy has no problem with me using it. I just like having my own stuff is all. I have some schedule 40 3 inch and if it could cut that I'd be happy with it. I guess I'll get to saving up for it and continue to use a friends saw for now.

Thanks guys for all the great info.
Chris
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-28-2013 20:09
Watching them videos on youtube about the cold saws man they really do cut like butter, looks like Dewalt and Makita are probably the best out of the few I looked at. I think I'll be getting this the very near future no doubt. I can't stand all the sparks that the abrasives throw and that carbide hardly makes any. That thing is just to dam cool.

How well does it do for say aluminum?
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 06-29-2013 06:36
Still got a old Makita runs great yet and a 16" with 5 hp shop made.  Look at the Evolution cold cut chop saws & circular saws.  LWS & others sell them.  Their 14" comes in a lighter one & HD one.  They also make a Raptor series 15" but most dealers don't carry those. 

http://www.woodwardfab.com/woodward_fab_metal_cutting_saws.htm
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-30-2013 02:21
The Steelmax is supposed to be pretty bad arse! I have looked at the Evolution as others have mentioned and also looks pretty slick.

Thing about the saws that I have learned is this. If your going to use your standard abrasive type disk(which I would definitely run like haydes from) they run at a higher rpm than your cold saw. Putting a cold saw blade on an abrasive saw was not recommended but I have seen it done. I think from what I have heard it will cause premature wear on your blade due to the higher rpm.

The cold saws, hands down are the best way to go. I've used abrasive saws and cold saws and I will never use an abrasive saw again unless they have a gun pointed at my head and even then I will take my chances on being shot down dead over using one of those spark flingin', stinkin', not cutting pieces of junk. When comparing abrasive saws to cold saws a good analogy would be to compare plasma cutting to torch cutting. Once you plasma cut going back to the ole gas axe is like going back to stone wheels. Just my .02!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-30-2013 03:30
The steelmax seems to have the base of the Makita and the handle is like the Dewalt. I like it a lot just where is it made? If it said Mexico I'd be cool with that at least it's closer haha
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 06-30-2013 14:38
There was a thread here on cold cut saws not long ago. You might look at that too.
I have a Dewalt, Slugger, and Steelmax. My observations are:

Dewalt, can NOT recommend due to the flimsy base and not great vice.
                Clamping the material is of the utmost importance. Allowing the material to slip while cutting just about always guarantees bent or broken teeth.

Steelmax, great saw with lots of good features. However, the one I have I bought used. I don't know how much it was used but it has slop vertically. The bearings or shaft are worn. Looking at the     
                schematic of the saw discourages me from taking it apart.
                The face of the vice is rounded at the bottom where it slides along the base. You can not clamp 1/8 thick flat (it will slip under the vise) if you need to miter cut it.
                Another annoying thing is the vise quick release lever can pinch you finger if not careful. Even after you grind the very sharp corners down it can sting a bit.

Fein Slugger, quality saw.
               After six or more years of daily use it has stopped working. Maybe brushes. Have not  had time to look. I put the Steelmax to use. Not as accurate (vertically) but keeps me going.
              The face of the vice is flat down to the base. No problem to clamp 1/8 flat horizontal. The quick release pawl for the vise has worn out several times. I finally welded a 3/4 nut around it. It
               is no longer quick release but always holds.

I have good luck with MK Morse saw blades.

Floyd
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 07-01-2013 00:38
The Brand Fein looks foreign but doesn't look like china either haha looks like some good saws
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 07-03-2013 00:04
Fein headquarters are in Stuttgart Germany.  Very Fein (fine) :lol: power tools indeed (probaby not how to say it lol).  Other companies copy many Fein tools but never get it right.  Not sure if all are made in Germany or not.  The little vibrating knife & sanding tools everyone sells now... Fein invented the original. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fein_(company)

http://www.fein.com/countrySelector/?noauto

Looks like a good saw and if like other Fein tools probably good.  Not as many dealers here yet still because they usually cost more. 

http://www.vektools.com.au/slugger-power-tools/slugger-by-fein-metal-tct-cold-cut-saw-p-11481.html

I have one of their grinders and like it so far.

http://www.feinus.com/en_us/grinding/
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 07-03-2013 03:50
That price is high I seen it some where for the cheapest being $528 if these things are made in Germany then I'm sold for sure on it. Those Germans make some fine stuff.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 07-04-2013 01:27
Yeah I didn't try to shop it for a better price and thought that might be high just what I found quick on it.  I like my grinder.  Fein suppose to make a good shop vacuum I want next.  Then maybe a saw like that lol.  Trying to figure what speed to get our shop made 16" chop saw by changing pulleys knowing I need to slow it down for a cold cut blade.  All the grit off it with abrasive blades makes a huge mess still even after I installed a chute and hood behind it.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 07-04-2013 02:14
That slugger saw the cheapest is about 430 and i think when the time comes to buy one it will be that slugger made by fein, it really looks like a good saw. You guys are right the cold saw is the way to go the hell with the abrasive blades.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-01-2013 00:15
I think it's made in the USA actually. Company is based in Colorado, give them a call and pop the question, I do it a lot, especially on expensive stuff like this.
- By Dualie (***) Date 07-06-2013 01:41
I have an evolution dry saw and several different wet saws.   I hated the evolution for a long time and just recently warmed up to it.     The table leaves a bit to be desired as far as holding a precise miter but it cuts very well.    so far i have at least 1000 cuts in 1 1/2" tube on one blade and still going.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / chop saws??