Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Software - Procedure Suggestion
- - By OMI (*) Date 06-30-2013 07:44
Hi,

Need to know about a welding software which can help in creating a welding procedure based upon the given materials.
I have been searching through but couldn't find any which can suggest preheat, electrode, filler and required post heat treatment.

My application area is mainly with SMAW and GTAW so I don't really need one covering all welding processes.

Please share if you know any such welding software.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-30-2013 13:57
http://www.twisoftware.com/products/products.jsp?product_id=1  
this should suit. Or you could try the C-Spec offerings, unable to post a link at moment!
Parent - By OMI (*) Date 07-01-2013 06:39
I have seen TWI WeldSpec and C-Spec WeldOffice but both these software don't provide any suggestions on applicable fillers /consumables.
Wondering if there would be any such software. I am going to download ProWrite and check if that can help.
Working with so many different materials in petrochemicals, one can't remember an appropriate basic welding data for an urgent repair job. Or during a turnaround /shutdown if there is some surprise and welding has to be made, it requires some quick decision. That is why I am looking for such a software which can assist in providing basic data to make a weld.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-30-2013 18:15
I do not think you will find any that will "Suggest" the filler metal for you BUT I have not been following the recent developments in welding related software for the last couple of years so who knows.

Manufacturers of specific materials will often have suggestions for filler metals and other welding technique details.

The Weldoffice software from Cspec for instance will provide a dropdown list of ASME base metals, and filler metals for your selection when preparing a PQR and when the PQR is saved, a WPS can be created with the ranges of qualification as allowed by the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. But it will not tell you which one is correct. This type of software aids in documenting welding related paperwork but is not a replacement for an understanding of base metal types and compatible filler metals.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By OMI (*) Date 07-01-2013 06:41
Gerald,
Thanks for your comments. Appreciate.
Looking for more of a technical welding software instead of a management tool or a code check for essential variables /approval ranges.
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 07-24-2013 14:47
Im not 100% sure on this but my teacher uses weld office to write his PQR/WPS paper work.  It has drop down menus for each box, and as you go through it narrows everything down and removes things that do not apply to what you have already selected.  The only draw back is that I think its 3-4 grand a year or something outrageous.  It auto updates to the newest code too though.  Dont quote me on all this but I have seen it first hand.

Keep Welding!
-Jordan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-25-2013 03:29
Not sure if your dead on the annual price but I haven't kept up. It is an expensive tool.

I made some videos when I worked with them that show some of the features.

Creating a WPQ at http://weldoffice.com/video/wpq/index.html
CReating a WPS from a PQR at http://weldoffice.com/video/WPSfromPQR/index.html
Creating a D1.1 prequalified WPS at http://weldoffice.com/video/pwps/index.html

You are correct about narrowing things down to only those that apply.

Looks like that is not what the OP was looking for but the videos may be of interest to someone. My few moments of fame .  The videos were fun to create.

Have a good one

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-25-2013 04:58
I have used this and it is a pretty nice piece of software albeit expensive for an individual or small business!
Parent - By OMI (*) Date 08-12-2013 16:40
That's the main concern of getting such an expensive software for an individual.
I had been looking through and get to Weld Assistant and WeldPulse. Still evaluating which one to go for.
Going for $89 to get Spark Edition of WeldPulse is not a bad bet to make. Let's see.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Software - Procedure Suggestion