Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year recert training hours
- - By RobE7018 Date 07-08-2013 15:11
At the company I work for we've been having an internal, annual CWI meeting where outside vendors and subject matter experts come in to talk about welding issues.  Would this qualify as training hours?  Our corporate office is saying yes, but I'm unsure as nobody has as of yet attempted to use these towards a 9 year certification renewal.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-08-2013 16:31 Edited 07-08-2013 16:37
They always classify as 'Training' hours.  You were trained, and hopefully even learned something.

But, NO, IMHO, they do not classify as hours that meet QC1 & B5.1 Requirements for Continuing Education Units/Professional Development Hours.  They were not an AWS local section meeting with a technical presentation where you can document the material, instructor, and present a certificate of completion signed by the section chair.  They were not a classroom presentation with documentation of materials, hours, and course completion.

You can always submit them with your paperwork, but you better have a lot more than required from other sources because I think you will run into difficulties convincing AWS that they qualify.

You can read the afore mentioned document, QC1, at  http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/index.html?id=3ICNwqB7  for more information.  They list the requirements pretty clearly.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-08-2013 22:24
I believe the training must be open to the public.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-09-2013 04:05
Not sure about that Al, but they do have to be an advertised local meeting if done through a technical presentation and there needs to be a course description if through a learning institution.  I guess that is in many ways "open to the public".

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-10-2013 01:59
Most meetings and seminars offered by organizations such as AWS, ASME, ASNT, etc. are open to members and nonmembers, i.e., open to the public.

In-house training that is not offered to the general public is not eligible for PDH. That being the case, courses in NDT that I conduct for client companies are not typically eligible for PDH credit.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-10-2013 04:25
Got it.  You are right again.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year recert training hours