Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Arc Strikes
- - By ctacker (****) Date 07-10-2013 23:54
Nice job Brent.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-11-2013 10:42
Very good job.
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-11-2013 14:32
Good morning and thank you guys.

I didn't even know it had come out until I started getting emails the other day.  I had accidentally erased/trashed my notice of the newest edition so had not even looked at it yet.  Thankfully I had not trashed the trash, was able to retrieve it.  Editorial staff did a great job.  They put it together while I was over in England and Ireland and had little email contact with them.  They sure make it easy to get an article published.  You should try it some time.  We all have something to contribute to this profession.

Thanks again.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-11-2013 19:52
I haven't seen it yet, but you can be sure I'll read it.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-11-2013 20:58
Boy do I know it!! :lol:  And don't be gentle.  Just tell me what you really think...and I know that you will. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-14-2013 13:12
Well done Brent....  I very much enjoyed reading your important paper in "Inspection Trends"

In my opinion, Arc Strikes should be placed within the scope of table 6.1

D1.1  only says that arc strikes are "undesirable"   What kind of marshmellow wrote that!?!?!?!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-14-2013 13:20
I couldn't agree more.  With the potential for critical failure and risk to human life they need more attention.

Thanks Lawrence.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 07-14-2013 17:14
Sir,
is this particular 'arc strike' article available somewhere?
These comments make me suppose it might become an enjoyable and valuable read.
Thank you.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-14-2013 20:24 Edited 07-14-2013 20:31
It is available to AWS members who are also CWI's both on line and/or by hardcopy (Inspection Trends magazine).  I believe some of us have tried to send a link after they post it up on the AWS Website but you can't access it without the correct membership numbers.

Now, if you would like to send me your email by pm I should be able to send you a copy one of my early drafts of this paper without any worry of copyright.  As the author, and, if it is used for training, education, or something else and not being sold, it can be used anyway.  I just like to make sure I don't cross any lines.  So, if you don't receive the magazine and would like to read it, just pm me your email and I will send it. 

Have a Great Day,   Brent

Just checked, they don't have it posted on the website yet.  I thought they used to put it up there a day or two ahead of me receiving the hardcopy.  Oh well.
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 07-15-2013 04:27
Thank you very much for your friendly willingness to share, Sir!

I seem to understand.

Being an AWS Member I should have access thus; but this issue was not yet available yesterday.

However, the link, posted by 'ctacker', worked excellently.

Thank you.
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 07-15-2013 09:42
Sir,

please allow me to join the group of gentlemen already praising you with their comments.
An important matter, very well dealt with and very well written - I do much like that/how you did thoroughly describe the experimental.

Last but not least, very well fitting in to Mary Ruth Johnson's 'Editor's Note' which was saying:

"We’ll never know how many tragedies have been prevented because you did your job well."

As I was expecting. An enjoyable and valuabe read. Already printed it off as this goes into my archives.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom!
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 07-15-2013 04:29
ctacker,

many thanks!

As already responded to 'welderbrent', the link posted by yourself worked most excellent.

Have already downloaded the file.

Thanks again!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-15-2013 14:11
Got it, thanks Ctacker.  Catch you both later.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-14-2013 13:26
BTW guys:

One of the people who responded to me by email asked me something that I referred him to the editor for (Mary Ruth).  After answering his question, she asked him to modify some of his comments and send them to the 'Letters to the editor' dept so she could show how people feel about the articles and content of the magazine.

It has truly been an interesting bunch of articles that she has managed to pull together.  Always informative, well written ( mine excepted- without the editting staff they would be a disaster), and applicable to most all of us.  I enjoy it more than the Welding Journal and wish it came out more often (which may be possible if we had more people who would submit occassional articles).

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-15-2013 11:58
Psst.....Thanks for the mention:cool:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-15-2013 14:11
Credit where it's due John.  I appreciate your time back several years ago when you shared it.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 07-17-2013 03:53
Great job Brent! It took me a long time to get it downloaded due to remote access, well worth the wait. I remember when I was at your shop you mentioned to me some testing you had done on arc strikes. I will be passing this along to the guys!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-18-2013 14:13
Here was my attempt showing arc strike problems.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-17-2013 04:11 Edited 07-17-2013 14:19
Brent;

I just read your article in Inspection Trends on the subject of arc strikes. All I can say is it is a good article and well written.

The photographs were a nice touch.

You gave John an honorable mention. Excellent!

Keep the articles coming my friend. Don't forget to keep copies to submit to AWS when it is time for your 9 year renewal. Take full credit for each article and by-pass having to take the Part B examination. Just one more way to accrue the 80 PDHs required to be exempt from taking the Part B examination.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-17-2013 14:31
I had not thought of that until one day after I submitted this article and I was showing someone the various means of gathering PDH's for skipping the Part B.  I noticed the clause on published articles and went, 'Oh yes, I can do that'.

Between all the seminars I have attended at two Fabtechs thus far and two articles in IT I am well on my way.

But, I plan on getting an endorsement or two and maybe taking the Renewal Boot Camp.  As section chair and Section Certification Chair, I want to know if I can truly encourage members to take some of these as an alternative to Part B.  Besides, more credentials never hurts even though it may not help that much.  More knowledge is always good.

Thanks Al and everyone.  Again, I did not try to get real scientific, just show it from a practical D1.1 application.  It still applies to other fields as well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 07-18-2013 14:26
Awesome article! Awesome to know it was you who wrote it. I had no idea Who this group was haha.  I couldnt put it down. Seemed to have that factor like these threads, too hard to put down!  Thanks for all the info

-Jordan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-18-2013 14:43
Jordan,

Don't get confused!  I am just the grasshopper/apprentice here.  Guys like Al, Shane, Henry, John, Allan, Joe K, and many others are the gurus who have led the rest of us by the hand.  They are the masters who people come here to hear from.  And I can't help but learn something everytime I read a response from them. 

This is a great learning place.  Even with occassional disagreements. 

Thanks for the compliments though.  As I stated above, send a comment to mjohnsen@aws.org for the letters to the editor.  She is always looking for comments to include in the following editions.  It's not about me, it's about the great magazine with all the fabulous articles that the staff puts together.  Encourage them.  Show them their efforts are well appreciated.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 07-18-2013 15:44
Brent-
    Again great job, I just ran the idea past my boss to educate our welders with the arc strike experiment.  We have recently ran some heavy steel jobs and our welders were a little sloppy in the beginning with arc strikes and not really paying attention to where the lead was in their hands.  I gave him a brief overview of your article and am having one of our shop guys cut plate now.  I really appreciate what all you guys do for this forum.  Not only does it make things easier to understand but make it easier to reiterate to either my students or my welders.  Much like Al's baby oil experiment its a real world experiment that a welder will understand right away. Straight up function at work.  You are giving me much needed ammo for my first semester of teaching this fall. Which brings me to this question:
What else do you guys have for welding experiments???

I would like to think I am inbetween a welder and an inspector, even though I am both, but Visual learning is something that everyone can benifet from.

Ill be sure to write a nice letter to the editor. 
Keep up the good work!

-Jordan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-18-2013 16:04
Put a magnet on a piece of steel held in a vice, warm it up from the opposite side until the magnet drops off.  Lesson?  Think about it.  Not complicated. 

Put a piece of 6" long X 1" diameter round bar in a vice.  Heat it up in the center until orange hot all the way through.  Remove heat and let it cool until it drops out of the vice.  Lesson?  I'll bet you can figure that one out too.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 07-18-2013 23:41
Put a couple of pieces of flat bar between the vise jaws and the round bar, and don't tighten too too much, the teeth in a new vise will wreck your experiment, and a vise tightened to the max may have enough spring to grab the bar at the end of cooling
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-18-2013 16:06

>our welders were a little sloppy in the beginning with arc strikes

I have to watch my guys when they lay the arc gouging lead down.
...the lead is still hot and they leave the carbon rod in the holder.
...it always ends up hitting against something by accident.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Arc Strikes