Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Side Load Value
- - By jstepp (*) Date 07-11-2013 15:31
I have a situation where I need to apply a torque value to a fillet weld.  The material is 5mm mild steel and it's a 5mm fillet welded on one side using the GMAW process with 0.035 wire size.  My company wants to attempt to apply a torque value as a response to a weld failure that occurred at the customer's facility.  My opinion has been that the welder didn't get proper penetration due to the angle of his gun.  To me, it's visually evident and it was only one piece of many produced that failed.  I understand the customer's response - they're paying us to provide a quality product every time, not just some of the time.  So, as a response, we want to apply a torque value to this specific part (& similar parts), but I don't know where to begin looking for such numbers.  Any ideas?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-11-2013 17:46
I assume the weld is a circular weld around some sort of shaft or something akin to that.

If that is the case, you can multiply the length of the weld along the centerline, multiply that by the theoretical throat dimension, multiply that by .3 X the tensile strength of the filler metal used. That value is constrained by the allowable unit stress applied to the base metal.

You can look at Table 2.1 in AWS D1.1:2010 as a rational basis of your calculations.

Al
Parent - - By jstepp (*) Date 07-11-2013 20:10
Actually, it is a linear weld approx. 2 in. long.  Do you think I could still use that formula?
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 07-11-2013 20:26
It will still give allowable unit stress, not sure if that figure will apply to the situation you are describing
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-11-2013 20:36
This is something that sounds like it should be handed off to an engineer to analyze. An engineer should have no difficulty determining the nature of the loads, the unit stress for the weld, and the required weld size.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jstepp (*) Date 07-12-2013 17:08
Thank you for the input.  We have manufacturing engineers - but they're no help in this situation.  A proper solution will be found.  It just may take a little longer.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Side Load Value