Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / How to get your first CWI job
- - By Rozdad06 Date 07-13-2013 01:56
Hey everyone!

I'm almost positive this thread will help a lot of people fresh out of testing like me. Here it goes, I have those same feelings now that I had years ago trying to break out pipeline welding not knowing how to get a job or who to call?
obtaining my CWI was a great step toward my future in the construction industry but I have sent over 200 resumes and not one response!!!!! what gives.....other than the fact that I have zero inspection experience? LOL I don't know what to do. I just need my foot in the door with someone ONCE and it will be OK from then on I'm sure just like I did breaking out welding I met people wrote down company names etc...etc...So this is my cry for help from you seasoned
pro's out there in the great wide open any info on this subject will be greatly appreciated by me, my wife, and my six year old little girl who wishes Daddy would get a job so she can get a Kindle HD for Christmas Lol.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-13-2013 16:08
Of all those resume's you sent out, how many were followed up with a phone call to the person that could hire you?
How many of those phone calls were followed up with a simple thank you note for the person taking the time to talk to you?
How many of those thank you notes were followed up with phone calls on a regular basis to develop a relationship with the person who could help you or provide a lead on another company that could hire you?
You have X number of years experience, have a CWI and sent a resume. You and 1000 other people.
Breaking in is a numbers and luck game. You make enough contacts and you will get lucky.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 07-13-2013 19:32
Along with dbigkahunna's excellent suggestions, I also would like to offer this... If the job is advertised then the odds are already stacked against you since there will be dozens or hundreds of applicants, of which most will possibly have more experience than you. Reach not for the "low hanging fruit" but go to the tree. Do some research and find shops, inspection companies or contractors, then contact them. 200 resumes??? that aint nothing. If I am nearing the end of a project or out of work, I send maybe 4-10 cold calls and an additional 4-10 responses to advertised jobs a day. Now what happens is that I probably get at best a 1% response on returns. Often months later! The majority of offers occur AFTER I'm employed. Many job postings are research and resume banking so that they can prove to a client they have the staffing capabilities for a contract.
Don't be picky and apply for jobs you don't want. Sometimes they have other gigs on the back burner.
Yes it is a waiting game.
One last thing. Keep your basic CV/Resume short but concise. AND customize it to each individual job posting if necessary.
Keep at it and best of luck to you.
- - By Rozdad06 Date 07-13-2013 19:18
Thank you so much for your feedback.....you are so right! great advice ill get to work on it right away!
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 02-21-2014 20:15
Followup is crucial.  Email or calling to confirm they saw your resume will keep you fresh in their mind.  Search websites like Roadtechs.com, Inspectionjobs.com and NDT.org every day.  Have them set up so you will get notified when a job is posted if they have that feature.  A resume blast thru Inspectionjobs.com is worth the money for a newbie to get your name out there in my opinion.  A few jobs and they'll be calling. . .
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / How to get your first CWI job