Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Can someone tell me What Transverse Cross-Section Exam ?
- - By Michaelpham83 (*) Date 07-15-2013 07:24
Dear all,

My name is Michael, I'm a newbie, Today I have a question that need your help.

At the moment, I need to make a new part which has Hardfacing overlay. Base material is Nitronic50, hardfacing material is Co-Cr-W alloy, I've choosen Stellite 12.

In the Welding Specification from our customer, there are some requirements after welding, It states:
    4. ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA REQUIRED FOR WELDING PROCEDURE QUALIFICATION:
    4.1  Deposite chemistry requirements: ...
    4.2 Surface hardness requirements: Hrc 45 minimum
    4.3  Maximun allowable size of indications is as follow:
      - Liquid Penetrant Exam of Weld Overlay - None Allowed
      - Transverse Cross-Sectional Exam at 5X magnification - No linear indications in weld or HAZ

As far as I know:
  " Liquid Penetrant Exam of Weld Overlay - None Allowed " means: I should use Penetrant Method to examine welded overlay. And It should have no flaw/crack ... shown.
    But  " Transverse Cross-Sectional Exam at 5X magnification - No linear indications in weld or HAZ" I really don't  understand what it means.

Can you please tell me what I should do or which standards, specifications I should refer to ( AWS/ASME, .... )

Looking fowards to your help.

Thank you very much,
Best regards,
Michael
Parent - By maxilimiano (**) Date 07-15-2013 10:23
Hello Mike,

I think you must consistent with the design Code (that contain acceptance criteria and method of inspection)

Regards
Maxim
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-15-2013 10:55
They are asking that you cut a sample through the plate and the weld so you can see the cross section of the weld and base metal. Think of it as cutting a piece of cake so you can see the thickness of the frosting and the cake or a piece of pie. You would polish the cross section and etch it with an acid so you can see the weld, HAZ, ad unaffected base metal to check there is fusion to the base metal without underbead cracks, porosity, etc.

Typically you would send the sample out to a metallurgical lab so they could cut, polish, and etch the sample for you. You would provide the lab with the acceptance criteria and they would send you a report. 

Al
Parent - By Michaelpham83 (*) Date 07-16-2013 04:06
Dear all,

Thank you very much for your answers early,
I agree with you. I would cut, polish the cross section and and etch it with an acid to see the weld, HAZ,....
Now I have found "ASTM E340-2002 Standard Test Method for Macroetching Metals and Alloys" and I am studing it.
I think I should send the sample to the metallurgical lab early.

Now I think I can close this topic.

Once again, thank you very much for your help!

With Best regards,
Michael
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Can someone tell me What Transverse Cross-Section Exam ?