Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Good Fishing Story
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-23-2013 22:06
We are obviously working on a bridge, over water. We have been eyeballing the log at the pier for months now. Today at lunch we finally broke out the poles, made the long journey to the pier in the middle of the river and applied our stink bait. Dropped a line and waited. Was not 5-10 minutes and we had a fish playing with the bait. My friend sat there for a minute then set the hook, the pole did the ole half moon curve thing and we laughed and thought, "Wow! This bait is awesome!".

Suddenly, SNAP!!!! The pole springs back straight and we all say, "shyte!!" My buddy says, "Looks like I need to work on my knots". Not 30 seconds later another guy with us says, "Holy cow! It wasn't your knot! It was that big arse Gar!!!" I look off the pier and there floats this 4 foot Gar, channel catfish sideways in his mouth. The Gar floated to the other side of the pier downstream and we laughed and thought that surely he didn't grab our fish. The one guy then points out that he can see the stink bait holder in the catfish's mouth!! We laughed for the rest of the day about this, hope the gar chokes on the stink bait holder for stealing our fish!!

It was a good size catfish, 18" or so, nice eating, at least for the gar!!
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-01-2013 10:41
Excellent story.
Forget the stink bait, time to upsize with chunks of fresh cut catfish.
Heard that alligator gar is good table fare.  Youtube shows how to clean them with machete, mallet and tin snips. :eek:
Tyrone
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-02-2013 20:59
All the guys around here that I talked to said they tasted like shyte! Looked at some pictures online and the gar is one ugly fish! Looks like it might be fun to catch though.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 08-02-2013 23:35
Hello;
Here in the Trinity River they can get upwards of 7 feet and two hundred pounds. Caught a few just below Lake Livingston Dam. They are mostly considered a trash fish along with the carp. A lot of them are taken while bow fishing; which is a blast. Mostly hear of people grinding it up and making gar balls. I have never ate it and don't think I will unless times get real tough.

Have a good one;
Matt
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Good Fishing Story