Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Any table tell what material could be welded with others?
- - By tofo Date 07-30-2013 02:26
For example, (I just make them up)

304 steel can weld with 316, 440 , but not 1016....
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-30-2013 03:40
You are mixing codes and materials.  Stainless to carbon will need a PQR to prove it is able to meet the criteria for the job.  No table.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By tofo Date 07-30-2013 05:22
I am very new. Please help. I see a table like this http://www.pierceindustries.com/weldable.html
But it only cover a little bit
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-30-2013 16:47
Okay, I think we need to back up and explain ourselves a bit.

When you asked for a table, I ASSUMED (never do this at home without an expert assumer looking over your shoulder) you were referring to a table within the codes of D1.1 matched with D1.6 (carbon steel to stainless steel).  To which my response was that there was not one and to accomplish the job you would need to do a PQR to qualify your materials and the filler which would be used to join them. 

Now, you have changed the parameters of my 'assumption'.  If 'any' table to match materials will do, I am sure there are several but I can't think of one off the top of my head.  As Obewan said, Google it.  It should be easy to find one.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 08-04-2013 13:47
Hi tofo

As stated by other forum members, there are many tables, but none will be complete. I will attach one which is typical of what you could get if you did a search. If you have a specific problem, please ask that directly and I am sure you will get more input.

Regards
Niekie
Attachment: DissimilarWeldingMatrix-1.pdf - Dissimilar Metal Welding Matrix (382k)
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-30-2013 11:17 Edited 07-30-2013 11:21
I have located a few tables in the past by searching the web, but they did not cover all possible material combinations.  I once read that there are some 4000 different alloys.  Your best approach might be to use a very focused and targeted Google web search (if you have not done so already) for  welding a to b, or something similar.  Eventually over time you might be able to build your own table.

However, Brent is correct.  At the end of the day, testing is still necessary.
Parent - - By tofo Date 08-02-2013 03:09
I did try Google this topic, but I could not find any good table
Please help
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-02-2013 10:27
I built a table once when I was working in the aerospace industry, but I had to do it piecemeal one material combination at a time.  I had to run a targeted, focused, Google search every time a new welding project came up requiring a material combination that we had not previously qualified.  Over time I managed to cobble together a table for the materials used at that employer.  Unfortunately, I had to leave it behind since the employer then owned the data. 

Your best bet is to search out the materials and filler metal suppliers.  Sorry I cannot offer more assistance.  What material combination are you presently concerned with?
Parent - By cddolan74 (**) Date 08-02-2013 11:51
Filler material manufacturers have  tables that show some of the base material combinations that are typically used when using a filler material. impossible to list everything, if you dont see the material your trying to weld, ask the welding distributor or manufacturer for guidance.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Any table tell what material could be welded with others?