Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / specific electrode for specific base metal
- - By vignesh5585 (*) Date 07-31-2013 07:03
Dear all,

can any1 suggest any code which stays that we can choose specific electrode for specific base metal..i searched through asme sections but i didnt get any info....i think it will be mentioned on aws but not sure yet ..plz guyz help me out
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2013 14:25
Depending upon what you are actually trying to accomplish and what the project is you might try looking at D1.1 Clause 3, Table 3.1.  There should be some others as well but that is the first and most obvious that comes to mind.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-14-2013 23:35
Many years ago, The Stoody Company published a table of the kind vignesh is looking for. The table was contained in one of Stoody's catalogs.
That may be a clue, although I don't know if the catalog is still being published.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By OMI (*) Date 08-14-2013 09:19
Which welding processes you normally deal with?
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-17-2013 00:56
I don't know of any code or standard that designates a specific electrode for a specific base metal. But as an Owner or manufacturer if you want to specify a specific electrode by AWS designation or manufacturer designation you should be able to do that in your welding specification. You are and will be responsible for the end product. You should be able to specify Lincoln, Miller, Crown Alloys, or any one of a number of other manufacturers if that is what you are asking. It should be clearly understood in the welding procedure or welding specification that there will be no substitution without your consent. Make sure it's commercially available before you designate it.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 08-14-2013 11:02
You can consider reviewing the electrode manufacturer's product catalogs. 

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / specific electrode for specific base metal