Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI Training in Louisville, KY
- - By davetofaute (*) Date 07-31-2013 13:39
Knight School of Welding offers 80 hour, 2 week, Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) course. 

This in-depth training consists of the following:

FUNDAMENTALS
Welding Processes
Heat Control & Metallurgy (carbon and low-alloy steel)
Weld Examination
Welding Performance
Definitions and Terminology
Symbols -- Welding and NDE
Test Methods -- NDE
Reports and Records
Duties and Responsibilities
Safety / Destructive Tests
Cutting

PRACTICAL
Procedure and Welder Qualifications
Mechanical Test and Properties
Welding Inspection and Flaws
NDE
Utilization of Specification and Drawings

CODE APPLICATIONS 
Materials and Design
Fabrication
Inspection / Qualification

Program begins quarterly
CWI Training (80) hour course meets Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm for 2 weeks.
Cost: $3500 and includes all textbook material. Exam not included

www.knightschoolofwelding.com
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-31-2013 14:07
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-31-2013 14:19
Well, it is a 2 week course vs a 1 week crash course....while the price is more, maybe they go through the material a bit more thorough?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-31-2013 14:21
Whoops, I see that you linked to the Hobart site...sorry, that one is 2 weeks also.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2013 14:31
And now you have two weeks off work instead of one and two weeks at a hotel instead of one.

Then, travel somewhere else to sit the exam at another date.

Sounds VERY expensive to me.

That's why I say:  AWS trains the BEST, the other schools get the rest.

But I see many of them are dropping their 'Guarantee' of passing the exam since the exams were changed this year and the percentages of passing dropped.  Sounds like some insider teaching going on.  I don't want to work with people who were taught to pass an exam but don't really know the job.  There is enough things inspectors need to add to the skills and knowledge of this trade without adding the basics to it. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By davetofaute (*) Date 07-31-2013 14:45
We typically have 3-4 welders going through the 2 week program at one time.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2013 15:20
Dave,

While I have reservations about programs that guarantee successful passage of the CWI exams, I do not slight any educational opportunities for anyone. 

I have told many people that even if they are not qualified to take the exams they would be very impressed with and learn a lot from the seminar.  Even if one buys all the books and studies at home, the seminar has much to offer that you won't learn by yourself.  And I'm sure that there are many that would benefit more from a two week program than from a one week crash course.

Therein lays the rub, for just educational opportunities that is fine.  BUT, when it comes to taking the exam to become a CWI, you should already know most of what the seminar presents.  It is designed to be a refresher course and get your mind into gear and focused on the required material.

If there is indepth teaching that needs to be done, they weren't qualified, skilled, knowledgeable enough in the first place.  I don't want to see the CWI exams cheapened by getting people passed as inspectors who are not even close to being where they need to be. 

Then, you must be kidding??  3-4 at a time?  How is any money made at that rate?  Even at the costs stated above there is a lot of overhead involved.  AWS provides lunch, books, instructor, and other materials.  The hotels generally provide breakfast.  Our people have to fend for themselves for dinner for one week. 

And we generally have 30 people at a seminar.  Cheaper, presented by those who developed the system.  I don't know, I just don't get it.  It is a free enterprise based country but some things just don't make sense.  I know where I am going to continue to send people.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By davetofaute (*) Date 07-31-2013 15:40
Thanks, Brent...we do welding training and aws testing as an accredited testing facility. we also have the entire cwi training material and practice tests in order to prepare a welder for the exam. when welders realize they take our course here in a smaller student ratio, they like that and they have gone onto become successful on the exam. Our welders have planned out the personal items as housing and food and basically like the system we have. it's quarterly so we dont expect 30 in a class with our format...just a few at a time and it works for very well everyone involved. dave
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2013 18:31
Okay, so...you are mainly a welding/trade school that also offers courses for those who want to further themselves and go into inspections? 

I understand the advantage in SOME respects for a smaller class, allows for more one on one time.  But, there are also advantages to larger classes with increased viewpoints asking questions you may not have thought of.

I wish someone would start a program to train people AFTER they get their CWI in all the other applications of the job: report writing, blueprint reading, AISC and IBC codes applied alongside but beyond D1.1 (or whichever code applies), and so many other things. 

Getting the CWI is just the first step.  Employers are falling down on their part of the job by not having good expectations and training programs to get new inspectors grounded. 

You probably know as well as many of us on this forum that most welders don't actually know anything about the codes they are working to.  And yet, after a few years of working to that code they are 'qualified' to take the exam.  In their career they worked on bridges, pressure vessels, high rises, heavy equipment and were told different things on each job.  They don't realize how different each code is so then get certified as an inspector but bring too much baggage in the form of misunderstandings, miscommunications, misinterpretations to their new job that they try to force welders to do things that are not in the applicable code.

Anyway, that is not your problem any more than it is AWS's.  Just a pet peeve of mine.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By davetofaute (*) Date 07-31-2013 18:51
In education, students succeed where they feel most comfortable and we meet with the CWI applicants one on one before they start the 2 week course. Half of our CWI students are employer sponsored and they review the books and training material practice tests before the welders start. Being an Accredited Test Facility we have 2 CWI's conduct the training so they are able to anticipate the 2-3 welders viewpoints as it relates to their individual goals. As far the various codes...Current CWI's are constantly learning each and every day...That's the trade.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-31-2013 19:32

>CWI's are constantly learning each and every day...That's the trade.

You have that right....I'm a good way through my 2nd 9yr renewal term as a CWI and the new things just keep on coming my way. This is an ever-learning job.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2013 21:50
I agree with your last statement as well.  My point is that there is a larger learning curve than people give credit to right at that point of attaining the CWI and starting work all by yourself. 

Many new inspectors get eaten by the wolves because they don't know where to support their stands or have so much misinformation that they look just plain foolish then they start letting things go that they shouldn't or get so entangled in the small stuff that they miss the main items.

Anyway, Hopefully you are doing the inspections training in a respectable fashion.  Again, it is not my intent to run down anyone who trains people who desire to better themselves.  I just think there is a lot more that needs to be done by all parties involved.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI Training in Louisville, KY