Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding MIL-DTL-46100E to A36
- - By blanier (*) Date 08-06-2013 15:39
This is a structural application of welding A36 angle to MIL-DTL-46100E high hardness plate. The mil spec refers you to TACOM-Ground Combat Vehicle Welding Code -Steel. The welding and testing for a WPS-PQR is laid out in the TACOM manual for ballistic armor applications pretty well but I don't see the correlation to structural applications. Has anyone worked with these two materials being joined by conventional SMAW or FCAW??
Thanks, Bruce
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2013 13:17
The welder qualification test may have nothing to do with the actual production welding requirements. The welder qualification test only requires the welder to demonstrate the ability to deposit a sound weld.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-07-2013 22:11
I have no experience with MIL materials.
However, from what you say, I imagine a ground combat vehicle made of MIL high hardness steel with some reinforcements, or stiffeners, made of A36 angle iron.
Caution, this is only imagination.
Giovanni S. Crisi
São Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-08-2013 11:29
Hey Bruce,
There isn't a structural correlation with TACOM's Code.  The design requirements, that you would normally see in AWS Welding Codes, were intentionally omitted from the Code.  TACOM relies on the Contractor's design house's personnel and processes for design and development.
Tyrone
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-08-2013 19:22
If you talking about 12479550 it has a non critial welds, critical welds and ballistic welds. The non critical and the critical say that you can used AWS D1.1 as a applicable reference,but the ballistic welds don't. That's the way I see it.

M.G.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-12-2013 12:40
Hey Milton,
12479550 states that it is to be used in conjunction with appropriate complementary codes or specifications for materials design and construction. So for structural attachments.....if you want to use D1.1, go ahead. Critical/non-critical welds only applies to the inspection/acceptance requirements (not how you should design the welded connection).
TACOM in the end has overall approval.

Tyrone
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-12-2013 17:09 Edited 08-12-2013 19:14
Tyrone,when we work on a job that calls for TACOM 12479550 we usually have a print that calls out for that code there is no design. Tyrone we did our on PQR,WPS and used D1.1,D1.2,D17.1 and D1.6 if they do there on testing wouldn't that be good enough if it was acceped.

M.G.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-13-2013 10:35
Milton,
Now I understand where you are coming from.  I'm assuming you supply parts designed by the Customer (BAE, Northrup, General Dynamics, etc). 

Yep, it's good enough if your Customer accepted the PQR, WPS.  In turn, your Customer takes full responsibility for your part meeting their design intent (and TACOM's requirements). TACOM's folks are really only focused on armour weldments, but will get involved in structural  parts/attachments if quality goes really bad. Then they may show up at your door looking for documentation...

Tyrone
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-13-2013 11:43
Tyrone
   If you do the work by the book and have follow all of the criterior of the print and have all the documentation of the NDT you should be alright.

M.G.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding MIL-DTL-46100E to A36