Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Entry level CWI pay scale
- - By deajam16 Date 08-07-2013 12:24
I am an entry level CWI looking for part time work in NYC area. What would be a reasonable hourly rate for entry level CWI work in the New York area? The work i am looking into is part time, after hours structural inspection. In total i will be working less than 15 hours a week. The inspection firms around here are slammed with work and need CWI's. I feel there are a lot of us young professionals out there who need advice on how to break into the CWI world. Those CWI veterans out there, we need your help, please shed some light on this.

Thanks,
James
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-07-2013 16:59
James,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Starting pay is whatever the market will bear.  Your geographic location, type of work, availability of other inspectors, employed or sub-contractor, and several other factors are going to be part of the equation. 

Whatever you do, don't shortchange yourself and all the rest of us.  Too many are taking jobs cheap just to get their foot in the door.  Granted, we all needed a hand when starting and we have to make a living.  Just beware of how you let them use that against you. 

Good Luck.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fitter (**) Date 08-16-2013 20:37
Hello Deajam 16. An inspector in the NYC. area should start at between 32 and 35 an hour. Maybe some mileage or per deim also. Send resumes to every Inspector contractor and you should here from some. It is very busy right now.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 09-12-2013 03:43
Looks like I need t recert had head to NYC.  I got $19/hour in Florida in 2009.
Parent - By fitter (**) Date 09-20-2013 09:18
Florida is not known for its great pay.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Entry level CWI pay scale