Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Corner to Corner Weld joint.
- - By scotty68 Date 08-09-2013 13:17
What would be the weld symbol for a corner to corner joint on 3/16 plate with melt thru.I would draw it like a single vee showing an included angle of 90*with the melt thru symbol on it. Would this be correct is the question.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-09-2013 15:18
The attached sketch shows a corner joint with welding symbol.

T, corner and lap joints, without bevels, all receive fillet welds.

Tim
Attachment: weldingsymbol.JPG - Fillet weld symbol with melt through (10k)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-09-2013 18:50
First off, that will depend upon rather you are working to D1.1 or D1.3.
Second, it will also depend upon which welding process you are going to use.

But, Tim, he mentioned a single vee which would preclude the use of that type of corner.  Plus, if he wants a melt through, D1.1 prohibits, as a Pre-Qualified joint, no backing bar and/or backgouge. 

I think you need to look at D1.1 Clause 3.11.2 and C-3.11.2 with Figure C-3.3 then look through the CJP pre-qualified joints at Fig. 3.4 and find what you want.

If you need D1.3 instead then things can be different.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By scotty68 Date 08-09-2013 22:10
Thanks for the weld symbol info.This joint is a corner to corner on 3/16" HRMS. Its for a residential oil tank that MUST be field fabed since the opening is 34" sq and drops down twice. I have drafted a blueprint and needed the symbol. This WILL be submitted to a Mech PE and he will make any adjustments to structure he sees fit.No the tank wont be UL they dont get involved in square built tanks or tanks that are field fabricated--already made the call. Nice folks though. Ay other advice is always welcomed.Thanks   Scott.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Corner to Corner Weld joint.