Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Diameter Ranges for Brazing Performance Qualifications
- - By fschweighardt (***) Date 08-12-2013 21:49
Looking in ASME IX:2010 for any diameter restrictions on Brazing Performance Qualification and can't see any restrictions at all.  Anybody have any insight as to where this info may appear (if anywhere).  Prelim BPS has a dia. range from something like 1/2" to 4.5" and I not sure I like that much.  Trouble is, the project manager did not put additional restrictions in the contract, so we have to go straight code only.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 08-21-2013 11:30
Bump, Any Brazing guys out there
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-25-2013 15:06
The code provides the minimum requirements. It is up to the manufacturer/contractor to take any additional steps necessary to ensure their products are safe and to ensure quality requirements are met.

Al
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 08-26-2013 14:13
just suprised that there are significant diameter restrictions in the welding part of the code, but do not appear to be ANY in the brazing area.  Just because you can braze 1" tube, does not mean you can successfully braze 4".  Gonna have to rework THOSE contract specifications as well
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-27-2013 01:30
I perceive it to be more of a procedural issue rather than a skill issue. That being said, I would definitely want to see the contractor demonstrate the adequacy of the procedure to provide the necessary volume of heat to bring the complete joint to the appropriate temperature for brazing.

One serious problem I have encountered is the inability to heat the entire joint to the required temperature before introducing the filler metal. Brazing isn't like welding where only a localized spot is heated to the welding temperature.

Al
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 08-27-2013 10:44
Thats exactly what I am driving at.  wanted to see if there was wany restriction in the code. Thanks
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-27-2013 13:24
Code is code, reality and common sense are separate issues. Real world concerns can be addressed in the project specifications. If the Owner wishes to have the brazers qualified hanging upside down to replicate "on-site" conditions, it can be made a requirement in the project specification.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Diameter Ranges for Brazing Performance Qualifications