Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What's an appropriate backstop for pistol shooting?
- - By devo (***) Date 08-13-2013 01:11
So the property down the hill got bought by some folks who happen to like to shoot their pistols on the weekend.  Hey, don't we all:grin:  Trouble is the corner of my property is more or less down range of their little setup, so I am wondering.....What is the minimum slope needed for an adequate backstop?  The soil is typical West Virginia, grassy meadow with clay subsoil.  I've seen video of tracers bouncing up and over stuff, and when I go walking with my two year old daughter toward the corner of the property, I can't help but wonder, what if one of those bullets bounces the wrong way at the wrong time??
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-13-2013 02:12
Hello devo, your concerns are certainly legitimate. I had something happen a couple of years ago that had me thinking the same way. In my case I was out in my backyard, the neighbors were shooting and I could hear rounds clipping up through the leaves in some of my trees. Turns out that they were shooting into the creek bed and the ricochets were going up past me. A visit from the sheriff was required as I didn't know exactly who was responsible or where these rounds were coming from. In my case the sheriff stopped by and when I took him around back into the yard a couple of rounds went whizzing by, no further explanation necessary. I eventually found out who was responsible and ignorance was more responsible for the situation than intentional neglect. My neighbor was actually appreciative as the shooters were nephews of his.

In your case, I believe that you might consider a friendly visit with these new neighbors and voice your concerns. They may not really realize that you feel endangered or threatened and once you say something they might change their shooting practices. At this time, if they are considerate, they may possibly show you their set-up and plan for preventing stray rounds from being an issue. If you are still nervous and if they don't heed to your concerns then the law may be the answer.

I live on 12+ acres and would love to shoot on my property, yet, I know that there is no safe way for me to pursue this due to the layout of the property and the proximity of my neighbors. They(your neighbors) have a responsibility to themselves and the others that live near them to use due diligence when it comes to the safety of others when they opt to shoot. If you don't take some sort of action you will not want to say "what if" in the event that something tragic did happen. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-15-2013 12:59
I agree....pay em a visit and check out where they are shooting and discuss it.  Shooting into a hill is fine as long as it is pretty steep grade (too steep to walk) and there are no rocks at the surface.  If the way it is being done makes you uncomfortable maybe you can convince them to bring in a few loads of dirt and build a suitable berm.  Even small caliber pistol rounds can skip a pretty good distance after hitting something.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What's an appropriate backstop for pistol shooting?