Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Help on BBQ pit doors
- - By sqiggy (**) Date 08-15-2013 03:19
I'm building a smoker/cooker for a friend of mine. After I laid out the 2 doors on the cooker, I used my metabo to cut all the straight lines and then used my torch to cut the rounded corners. Then, when I  added the hinges,  the door doesn't seal right. After a closer look, it has warped on me. I've tried everything I can think of to straighten some of it out, to no avail.
Anybody here have anything I might try?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-15-2013 03:51
Don't they sell hammers in your area??

Actually, I would put it in my hydraulic press and play with it a little.  But then, I have a press...and a hammer.  :lol:

Without know exactly what you are dealing with, you could also use a little heat and cool with water.  But without prior experience you will play with that one for a while as well.

Well, it's bed time and that's all I can come up with for now.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-15-2013 13:15 Edited 08-15-2013 13:17
"Don't they sell hammers in your area??"

LMAO!!! Darn Brent!! :lol::lol:

Like Brent said, you can heat opposite and try and get it to draw back where you need it. Hammer and an anvil, log, something to work the metal back where you want it. Patience and time my friend, also going a little at a time, nibble at it until it's perfect.
Parent - - By 2006strat (***) Date 08-15-2013 19:27
On a real note, fit the doors back on flush like they looked before you cut with a torch tack weld them back, then weld the hinges on, after the hinges are welded cut your tacks back out and see if it will open and shut same way with hinges.  If it still dosent work, weld the doors back on, cut out where hinges go and weld them on then re cut your doors.
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 08-16-2013 01:36
Yes, I have a hammer. Tried that already. Put a rose bud on it and a wet rag with cold water. Nadda!! Put some screw dogs with the rose bud. That got a lot of it but not all. Here is the thing, I didn't cut the doors out with a torch, just on the  rounded corners, which was maybe a couple of inches. The rest was cut with my metabo (cutting grinder). Guess the only thing to do is weld back in place, cut the corners out first then cut the straight lines next. Might try putting on the hinges on too before I get it cut out completely. Talk about a pain the ass!!!!
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 08-16-2013 01:53
Is the smoker made out of a pipe or other round object? If so when cutting a door into a pipe the door will spring outward and be at a larger diameter than it was before you cut it out. This will require bending or rolling to make it fit flush in the place you cut it from. This is a common occurance on round pipes etc.
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 08-16-2013 03:01
It's a 250 gal propane tank.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-16-2013 15:33
When I cut out my hot water heater for a grill I used flat bar to go around the edge of the doors. I had the same issue with it warping. Guess you could call them stiffeners as Tyrone pointed out. Something on the inside maybe to act as a backbone. I'm assuming that this is pretty thin metal. My door was like a fish out of water flopping around until I put the frame work around it. It fits good, still has a bit of air gap at the edges but I want to cook with it, not marry it.

Don't mind our comments, we're just a bunch of smart arse welders around here, even some smart arse inspectors! Hopefully you can get it worked out. I've cut some thing stuff with a grinder and cut off wheel and was amazed that it warped. Not nearly as much as using a torch or plasma but still tweaked the sheet. Throw in the fact that the metal was rolled when it was made and cutting it loose released some stress. Cut a pipe in half down the center and it will pop outwards. Have seen this several times. Good luck!

Shawn
Parent - By sqiggy (**) Date 08-19-2013 02:07
Yeah, I let some of the remarks just roll of my back. I don't post here a lot, but do read a lot. Been welding pipe for going on 27 yrs now. When I first broke out, had a older welder tell me never build BBQ pits. And I haven't. Now I know why. But like I said, it's for a friend of mine.
Now, if it was for me, the way the doors are now, I'd roll with it.:cool:
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 08-17-2013 02:05 Edited 08-17-2013 02:15
I have built several pits out of propane tanks. Yes the tanks are role formed then have a long welded seam down the middle. It holds stress and will always spring out on you.

I normaly cut where the hinges go then weld in the hinges then finish cutting out the door.

I have fought this problem and I finaly gave up and resorted to hiding the problem verses fixing the problem. Most 250 gal propane tanks are from my understanding made with 70+ KSI steel and are between 3\16 and 1\4 thick and do not like to be beat or bent in any way shape or form..!!!

I like putting a 1 1\2 or 2in by 1\8 flat bar arround the outside of the door to help seal it as well as trim out the door.  After I have welded the flat bar on I heat it up and tap it with a hammer bending it and forming it to the outside of the tank.. It will surprise you how well this hides the different size door but it still wont seal very well.  So to fix that problem I get wax paper and put it arround the cut on the tank then get high temp silicone and put it under the flat bar and close the door till it sets up. I then open the door peal off the wax paper and you have a tight sealed door..

Its redneckish but it works well..!!!
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 08-19-2013 02:17
Thank you very much!!!
I did put the hinges on first. Then, trying to make it look nice, I put a 1'' strap on the inside, but the bottom wouldn't close all the way, so I moved the 1'' strap to the outside, but like you said, really need a 1 1/2 " or 2 in flat bar. Anyway, pretty much got it worked out. Was just asking if there was a "quick fix" or some other trick that I may have over looked. And you are right about that metal. It don't want to move at all with a hammer.
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 08-19-2013 23:33
I have had some luck getting four heavy pipe clamps and putting them from the top to the bottom then cranking them down as you heat it with the torch but the clamps arnt too tough.. They will slip after you put the cheater on them LOL..

Yep I did the 1 inch flat bar thing on my first pit.. Now I wont use anything less then an inch and a half..!!! @in is better..!!!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-16-2013 03:16
It is amazing how much heat he could have created with the cut off grinder that will distort pipe, tube, or even plate steel.  Then, have you ever done any experimenting with heat?  Torch cutting the corners would have been a very stress altering function. 

There are many methods of correcting the problems being experienced.  But, all will take some experimentation as the OP obviously has limited experience and equipment. 

From the previous response, I would say to just keep trying and put more effort to it.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-16-2013 12:05
The warping is due to all the residual stresses in the plates.  Cutting with the grinder just released all the pent up stresses.
I would suggest some small stiffeners.

Tyrone
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-16-2013 23:50
Next time cut out the hinge area first and weld on the hinges then finish your cutting. Round material like pipe will spring out as mentioned in one of the threads above. If you can get it to close up a little, take some thin stock and weld around the edges of the door. It will help close up the out side and give it a little finishing touch.

I know pipe will spring out but I also know that the propane tank is probably very thin so I'm not sure how it warped, probably end to end creating an arch. Some hammering around the edges of the plate may help but you may have some distortion in the remaining tank form. Probably the best information is cut to fit and beat to match.

Good luck!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Help on BBQ pit doors