Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / San Diego Area CWI pay rate
- - By mdagg (*) Date 08-15-2013 17:57
I find it amazing what the pay rate for CWI's is in the San Diego/Southern California area.  With the cost of living being one of the highest in the nation, the going contract rate seems to be 35.00 an hour, most times without per deim, and no benefits.

Obviously there are a group of CWI's in the area that are willing to work for these subpar wages or these companies would have to raise their pay scale.  I would like to send a heartfelt thank you out to all of them, for making it harder on everyone in our profession to command the level of pay the crucial job we do deserves.
Parent - By Hollaway Date 08-15-2013 18:41
That's low! Hell, I have taken QC jobs here in Texas for more than that for construction companies on turnaround and I don't have a CWI.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-15-2013 20:23
The pay rate will depend on what you are doing. While $35 per seems low, how is that rate determined. What is the experience required for the $35 per rate. If the requirement is 1-3 years experience, then that is not too bad. And are additional certs required or desired. Are the companies willing to pay for additional certs?
If these are entry level on low experience type positions, then there will be a lot of competition for them. When the experience level with multiple certs is required the $$ go up, simply because there are fewer inspectors vying for those jobs.
And if you are a contract inspector, the benefits you have are what you keep between your ears. I do not want nor expect insurance, retirement, vehicles, etc. All I expect is $$ and the check cash.
Parent - - By trapdoor (**) Date 08-20-2013 04:41
Most of the work in Southern California is building construction and the testing labs that get the work have competed the wages into the ground. It doesn't help that your worth is directly associated to how many "cards you have".  The market is basically flooded with dirt and concrete guys who got their CWI, don't ask me how. There are definitely some good welding inspectors out there but the majority are clueless.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-22-2013 14:00
If the market is flooded with dirt and concrete guys, then don't play in that market. A CWI certification is more like having a diploma from a jr college. Useful, but there are a lot of people that have one. I know few people in the inspection trade that have only one certification. I have a pocket full of them. But it keeps me from pushing buggies at WalMart.
If you are going to stay in the structural side of the industry, you need to get the NACE CIP Level 2 with the Bridge endorsement. A CWI with NACE and ability to do bridge work can stay busy. You live in a area with a large refinery petrochemical industry. Work a couple of years getting to know the ins and outs of that industry. Ask questions of the job and project inspectors. Build a network of contacts. Do this while working for someone else. Be willing to change jobs in a instant for one that will give you experience in areas you are limited in. A inspector willing to take 3-5 years to grow, learn and network will be set after 5 years. You will always have to hustle. And sometime you will wind up burning a bridge or two.
But there is a reason some people can demand $4-6K a week as inspectors. But you need a plan and be willing to do what is required and take the time to do it. And if you expect to be in that $4-6 range, you better be ready for what you are going to give up to be there. Cause you are going to be on the road living in motels, a travel trailer hell even a tent, if that is what it takes.
How many of the dirt and concrete guys with a CWI are willing to do that?
Few.
That is why the companies can set the wages low because there are a lot of people willing to settle for what the companies pay so they do not have to sleep in motels, traveling and being away from home and family.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / San Diego Area CWI pay rate