Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Auto darkening lense for new students
- - By newinsp (**) Date 08-16-2013 01:46
We have auto darkening lenses in our shields now.  Bought them online for about 15 dollars each.  There is a dramatic improvement in the learning curve.  Students are about 2 weeks, or more, ahead of where they would be when using the standard shielding lenses. 
Do other schools provide auto darkening lenses/shields?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-16-2013 18:48
Yes, here at the Welding Lab of the Engineering School of Mackenzie Presbyterian University in Sao Paulo, Brazil, a third world, underdeveloped country, we've been using auto darkening lenses for the last ten years. The supplier is ESAB.
I don't know their price. Our Purchasing Dept. buys them and passes them to us. I've never bothered to ask their price.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By newinsp (**) Date 08-17-2013 22:46
That is amazing. 

I've been taking Spanish classes and am planning to take Spanish part II because more Hispanic students are signing up.  I need to speak it every day, but currently don't have anyone to converse with daily.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-18-2013 02:40
They speak Portuguese in Brazil...

Seek them out... They're everywhere! Even in the rural area's where they were once were a rare find indeed... Your school should be a good place to start.

Buenos Suertes. = Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 08-18-2013 13:38
Oh!  That's right.  My bad.  There is an article that mentions that in my August flying magazine.  A commercial US pilot (Les Abend) rode with his Brazilian counterparts who spoke Portuguese.  They flew from Rio to Sao Paulo. 

Gracias Amigo!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-19-2013 21:55
At the high school level I can see providing the auto dark hoods as it takes a good chunk out of the learning curve.

For college it's my opinion that students should be providing their own PPE.  A pretty good Huntsman multi-shade auto dark hood can be gotten for under $100, rated for all positions.

I always kept a supply of about 10 auto dark hoods for guests, recruiting visits, and to let new students try them out to compare how auto dark works vs traditional hoods.

But I have also discovered (quickly) that hoods purchased by students last about 10 times longer than hoods purchased by the school... Just a fact of life.

I will give a new student about a week of hotwork to get their PPE in order.. Then the loaning of equipment stops.
Parent - - By newinsp (**) Date 08-22-2013 14:20
I agree that the students who purchase their own equipment certainly do take better care of it. 
We also provide safety glasses (have to keep reminding them to wear), gloves and jackets. 
The other problem we have, since we're at the beach, is guys (the girls always dress properly) that forget and come to class with flip-flops and/or shorts.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-22-2013 15:09
Are you teaching at a high school or a college?
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 08-25-2013 16:48 Edited 08-25-2013 16:58
I teach at a college, but we have a class that consists of mostly high school students in the Huskins program.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-10-2013 16:33
I teach a night class for a community college. With only 8 hours a week of training time per student the auto hoods have been great. Been using $39.00 harbor freight hoods for 3 years. They work well but like the higher end auto lenses have variations depending on viewing angle. As students advance I let the user my huntsman with a passive #9 and they are amazed by how clear it is. And how hard it is to strike an arc.

Gerald
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 09-10-2013 18:17
I found auto lenses online for 15 bucks.  They fit our Jackson shields.  I have Lincoln auto shields.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 10-14-2013 23:06
Our students (college) must buy all their own PPE.

Our degree students aren't allowed to use auto hoods their first year.  Students just taking a night course related to incidental welding can use whatever they like.
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 10-21-2013 14:02
Having the students buy their own PPE would certainly save this school some money.  The students would take better care of their own equipment. 
Having the PPE does benefit the special GED program where financially eligible students receive a "scholarship" to take one of our continuing education classes.
- By hvymax (**) Date 10-22-2013 16:19
My facility supplies standard helmets etc but usually all of my serious students end up buying auto helmets, gloves and jackets within a few weeks.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Auto darkening lense for new students