Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need a portable MIG/TIG/STICK welder for side jobs.
- - By Zwalker (*) Date 08-16-2013 01:50
Hello all. I am in the market for a all in one combo/portable welder for around $1000 or less. I have done a little research and from what i've found Everlast makes the MTS200 for around that price. The youtube reviews of the product rated it overall a good machine for part time jobs. One Con i found is that it does not offer AC which means no aluminum. :( Do any of you know of any other brands with a package such as this one for a similiar price? Thanks for the help.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 08-16-2013 23:55
Only machine I'm aware of is a Miller pro 350 costs about 13k new......Lincoln used to make a Ranger D10 pro that machine on FleaBay goes for about 3k for a decent shape machine....... Also Lincoln made a weld & power 225 but is tough to get enough power for AC Tiggin' .......Neverlast welders!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't let one even SIT next to my Miller or Lincoln machines........
Parent - By Zwalker (*) Date 08-18-2013 22:02
I appreciate your response. Have you personally used an everlast welder before? What did you not like about how it performed?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-17-2013 13:06
I think you might have to go up on your price range a tad bit if you want AC.  Everlast, Hobart, and Miller all make small, portable inverter units that meet your criteria - but the prices start around $1300+ to get AC.  The Miller Diversion 180 is $1999.  I think the Everlast has the most power (among low cost portables) at up to 250 Amps available.  I know we are not supposed to self promote here, but if you are interested in seeing some of the units I have checked out, you are welcome to visit my website:  weldequipmentreview.com.  As time goes by I hope to investigate more of them, I have just had too many other higher priorities in recent months.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-24-2013 03:05
I like your review site thanks for posting that !  That Hypertherm 45 or 65 is still on my wish list.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-24-2013 03:18
Would read more online reviews you can find on any brand today and make sure it does all you want it to do.  Lots of used brand name ones and many larger welding supplies have reconditioned rent lease units back in to sale.  Some of the off brands are getting better but some can be impossible or harder to find parts for down the road.  Take a look on a section at weldingweb.com that is about foreign off brand ones some of the dealers and manufacturer reps for those are on there now & then.  You'll see more on brand name ones there too.  Eastwood sells some with their name on them made who knows where but theirs is just a TIG only but does AC/DC but my problem with theirs is how long will you be able to get parts for it later on if any by time need them?  I've seen their models they sell already change a few times but nothing about their old ones still being serviced. 

One in Phoenix sells used reconditioned of all kinds and will ship to you.  There are many others do same thing just have to find them.

http://www.vernlewisweldingsupply.com/used-equipment.html
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-24-2013 13:47
I plan to revamp my web posts to encourage people to read the customer reviews at Amazon.com that most of my comments are based on.

I also will add a current limit warning.  The lower cost units at my site are not really intended for heavy industrial welding applications or very thick materials.  I am not even sure if any of my posts will run the spray arc process. But, Amazon sells a lot of high end welding equipment - all the way up to $30,000 diesel driven motor generator rig welders.  Some people might prefer to shop at a brick and mortar LWS shop though.

I am in the process of adding Google Adchoices to my website and hope to bring in enough to cover my operating costs.  I think people are more likely to click on links to information resources than to buy something that I have reviewed.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-24-2013 18:51
I was real skeptical about Everlast just none of them in my area and after reading your review and on Amazon I might consider one now.  For things hard to get for them local just have to keep some stock on those.  No LWS here sells off brands and never keeps any used machines or just doesn't get them.  Everyone puts their used machines on auctions because they will get more.  Can't buy any used welder here on a auction anymore plus you may get stung on it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-24-2013 14:10
Vern Lewis is very reputable.  They are not my main supplier but I do have an account there and have used them often.  They definitely do well with their customer service.  They also are a big youth/education supporter.  They promote Skills USA and bought one of Lincolns Virtual machines and put it in a van that travels the state and beyond promoting AWS, Lincoln, education, and of course, Vern Lewis Welding Supply.

Their Prescott Valley store has really bailed me out a couple of times when my larger distributor couldn't do it. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-24-2013 18:46
I think Wade or you told me about Vern Lewis.  Saw machine wanted on their list and called it was done gone lol.  Found a off brand tig but I'm not happy with it it's going soon very soon.  Wanted Dynasty used I'm not needing it everyday just repairs at times but you get setup and others find out they will bring stuff in too  so I want something better.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 08-26-2013 01:31
Glen,

Keep a lookout on their used section. I see stuff on there every couple of months or less. I also have a connection to used machines from the tech schools through airgas. I would be happy to look at a machine for you in the Phx area if you find one and want an opinion of it etc.

Vern Lewis is a good group. I enjoy dealing with them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need a portable MIG/TIG/STICK welder for side jobs.