Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 300D OCV/Hertz/Aux Power
- - By atc250r (**) Date 08-16-2013 20:46
Got a 300D with 800 hours on it.  It has the Kubota with the dial for adjusting engine RPM.  What do I want my OCV to be at the leads?  How about OCV at the aux plugs?  And what about hertz at the aux plugs?

If I crank up the RPM to 10 (max), I get 60.0 hertz, 135 aux voltage, and 103 ocv at the leads.

My welding amperage output seems a little low in each gear though.  1st gear pulls a maximum 88 amps, 2nd gear 128 amps, 3rd gear 168 amps.  That is on "local" control, fine tap turned to 100, and engine RPM at the max.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-21-2013 02:24 Edited 08-21-2013 02:26
Page A-1 of IM843

DESCRIPTION RATED DC OUTPUT* Duty DC CURRENT RANGE
VOLTS @ RATED AMPS CYCLE Fine Adjustments in each Range
40-350 Amps
220-Max.
300 Amp DC Welder 30V @ 250A 100% 160-240
All Copper Windings 32V @ 300A 60% 120-190
Pure DC Power Generator 99V DC Max. OCV @ 1800RPM 80-130
Min.-90
Auxiliary Power (1)
3,000 Watts Continuous, 60 Hz AC
26 Amps @ 115V
13 Amps @ 230V

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im843.pdf
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-26-2013 21:15
Get it set better ?

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=27707

Check brushes and clean the armature with a stone if needed too.
Parent - - By atc250r (**) Date 10-02-2013 01:17
It still doesn't seem to weld great.  I know this machine was not broken-in on a load bank, and it has had a very easy life thus far.  Would load-banking it now help any? 

Other 300D's seem to be much "hotter" in each gear than mine is...
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-02-2013 15:06
There is a difference between Open Circuit Voltage and Arc Voltage. Open Circuit Voltage (OCV) is specified by the NEMA as being 82+/- volts maximum to ensure the welder isn't electrocuted when replacing the electrode in the electrode holder. The Arc Voltage is the voltage drop across the arc while welding.

You can make a simple lad bank by mixing about a pound of salt with five gallons of water in a plastic bucket. Connect each welding lead to a good sized pate that can fit into the plastic bucket. The plates should be suspended from a nonconductive support (broom stick will work) such that the places can be moved closer or further apart. The current and voltage can varied by moving the plates closer or further apart.

Caution: this process disassociates the water into hydrogen and oxygen. The accumulation of the gases can cause an explosion, so do not attempt this inside a building.

Normal arc voltage will vary between 23 to 29 volts depending on the type and diameter of the covered electrode. Low hydrogen covered electrode operate at the lower end of the voltage whereas the cellulose covered electrodes operate at the higher end of the voltage range listed.

The load cell will place a major load on the engine and the generator/alternator. You can easily toast the welding machine if you are not careful and do not monitor the voltage and amperage. Keep in mind the duty cycle of the machine and do not exceed it while testing the machine.  

I do not recommend this test method to the average welder unless he has a good understanding of basic electricity and understands duty cycle. One must recognize the inherent dangers presented when working/generating explosive gases, the potential for explosions and fire, as well as the danger to the welding machine.

Oh, by the way, it will definitely heat the engine up and blow out any carbon accumulations if one does not overheat the welder first.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-02-2013 19:57
Was armature dirty or dark ?  If so get it cleaned and make sure brushes are seated good.  Pull a brush back and make sure it returns and seats good.  May need new brushes or springs if doesn't.  Mice been in it while sitting?  Worse thing for it and armature and exciter will need cleaning & new brushes if so.  Seat brushes in by dribbling some water or water vinegar mix over armature while running and let it dry off then run it hard welding to get brushes seated in better.  Make sure air cleaner is not plugged up too.  It's going to heat it up some like Al said and that's what you need to do load bank it then or get a box of 3/16" or larger rods and run it hard.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 300D OCV/Hertz/Aux Power