Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Stainless Steel Butt Welds With Backing
- - By JohnT Date 08-21-2013 11:43
We are presently taking on a project that will entail fabricating two 25 Ft Dia. 11 gauge 304 stainless steel vessels ( non code ) and will be doing full pen butt welds ( manual heli arc process) on the walls / roof etc. in one pass. We have done many of these, successfully, for this firm, buy manually holding a purge cup on the back side to obtain a good, acceptable weld. We normally die check 100% and if there are problems, back grind and repair.

We have tried ceramic blocks with some success and the tape with less then acceptable results.

I am wondering if any one out there has seen a purge system that can replace the manual activity we are using.

Thank you;
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 08-23-2013 15:15
I've built/used lots of different purge and trailing shields and find that something simple is generally just as good as something super complicated.  The biggest thing I've seen impact quality is that you'll want a good seal between your purge system and the work (glass cloth heat tape is what we use) and fairly even coverage over the length of the joint to be shielded, and a vent so there only slight positive pressure on the purge volume (it takes fractions of a PSI to move a weld pool).  For something like what you're doing, I'd make up small modular sections (maybe 2' long) of SS tubing (we use small diameter stuff, like 3/16"-1/4") with saw cuts in it every two inches, supply them with two gas feeds at 6" from each end, and tape them to the backside of the weld groove so they're maybe 1/2" to an inch off the work.  If you have some drops from the job, you can give this a run and see if it'll work for what you're doing before you try it on the job.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-23-2013 15:33
http://www.solarflux.com/Pages/Productinfo.html

I haven't used this product, but have heard a lot about it.
Some good, some bad.

Use the search fuction on this forum to find out more info.

Tim
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Stainless Steel Butt Welds With Backing