Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Laminations in carbon steel
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 08-22-2013 16:58
has anyone on here noticed an increase in the amount of lamination in their carbon steel in the last year? I have had a number of weld test coupons fail due to these. Anyone else seeing this?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2013 17:21
Nope.  Not in my inspections at some large fab shops and not on work in my own shop.  All good on the steel front.

Did have a couple of poorly made Wide Flange Beams on a job.  I believe they were 36X652.  Had some surface cracking in the k and on up in the web.  Fabricator and engineer had them ground out. Deepest was about 1/4".  Welded back in with Demand Critical approved electrode for the columns and away they went.  After appropriate NDT to make sure all was well with the repairs.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-22-2013 18:00
Hello jsdwelder, where do you get the steel for these coupons from? I ask that based on the orientation of the grain of the steel. For folks who make-up coupons from plate it is sometimes difficult to verify direction of rolling. We typically use flat-bar for our coupons and it is relatively easy to keep the orientation in the correct perspective. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-22-2013 18:13 Edited 08-22-2013 18:16
What Allan said :)

Omer says it too :)

http://weldingdesign.com/archive/understanding-bend-tests

This may or may not apply to the OP.....  But it has bit me in the tail when a fabricator cut test coupons out of a large plate
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-22-2013 18:24
Hello Lawrence, thanks for including that link here. I believe that it has a wealth of information that is directly applicable to a lot of testing issues that come up, both in industry and the instructional world. I thought that I had read it before but I believe that this version is different than the one I had seen. Thanks again for including it here. I will likely print it off now and post it for the students and "visitors" to see and read. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2013 19:23
I prefer the flatbar as well.  If you get plate, make sure it comes marked for direction of roll.  I have seen suppliers send out 4X8 plate that was actually cut cross wise of the DOR.  Make sure you know what they are sending and specify it the way you want it, don't let them send just any old remnant.

But, as to actual laminations, no problems. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2013 20:39
Flat bar is the way to go when cutting test coupons for performance testing. I use 8 inch wide bar stock and cut the bar into 4 inch lengths so there is no question regarding the direction of the grain. Both edges are beveled so the welder cannot put them together backwards. The exception is tests conducted in the horizontal position.

Al
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 08-23-2013 15:16
If one happens to get plate in without the rolling direction marked, you can remove a small specimen and have it polished/etched to determine rolling direction.  Annoying, but probably less expensive than a failed bend due incorrect rolling direction.
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 08-23-2013 15:46
Nice article.  Thanks for posting it.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-23-2013 15:57
Omer Blodgett is a national treasure
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 08-23-2013 16:23
Indeed.  Is he still presenting?  I remember being at Lincoln a few years ago and seem to remember he was still lecturing, which I thought was impressive to say the least considering his age.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-23-2013 20:12
Hi Al, Lawrence, Mike and anyone else who may be interested...

Here's a series of documents (.pdf) on "Mentoring" from the James F. Lincoln Foundation which has some excellent articles in various forms... And the first story is about Duane K. Miller's first meeting with Omar Blodgett when he went to give a speech & presentation @ Le Tourneau University's AWS Student Chapter meeting, and there are some other examples of mentoring also which makes the article series all the more interesting indeed:

http://www.jflf.org/pdfs/papers/mentoring.pdf

And in case anyone wants to visit the Foundation, here's the link to a wonderful repository of welding engineering knowledge and history along with some very good field application articles found in the newsletter/magazine that I believe is no longer being published... There are also some excellent educational materials covering various levels of knowledge and in different formats also:

http://www.jflf.org/

Enjoy the reading!:wink::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Laminations in carbon steel