Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / flux core wire storage
- - By fit2inspect (**) Date 08-22-2013 21:21
I’m welding with Tru-core FC71T-12M.  I don't see much in wire storage information in D1.1 5.3.42 2010 edition. It directs me to A5.28. The company I'm working for currently doesn't have this issue, but they want me to give them an answers to their questions today.
Question:
We have built a storage locker with a humidifier and an air condition unit in it. But what should they be set at? We are down in Houston and its hot and humid most of the time. Second question:  Is there any way I can let my welder's keep their welding wire in their miller case feeders overnight on the shop floor? My company wants to avoid having to spend the welder’s time taking the wire out the feeder and wrapping it up for storage or making them lug a 78LB feeder with a full roll into storage.
Any suggestions?
Third question: does anyone have A5.20 and is there anything in there about wire storage and room temperture?

I've been diggin around but have found different views and I would like to know what is AWS take on it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2013 22:13
If you have D1.8 available check out Clause 6.4.  Bottom line, 72 hours without other mentioned test data. 

Write more later.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 08-23-2013 03:12
I'll check in the morning to see if they have in in their library.  I did find a teaser  of D1.8 @ http://www.gobookee.net/ that 6.4 FCAW Electrode Packaging, Storage, and Exposure Looks like what I'm looking for. Just have to see what's in there. Google isn't giving up any copy rights on it.

Thanks I'll chase that rabbit tomorrow morning.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2013 16:23
Now, if you are not working to D1.8 it is more stringent than will be required.  But, you usually can't go wrong by insisting on the limitations within it. 

Then, you need to go online to your electrode suppliers website and look up their products and find the ratings.  They are usually well worded to match the AWS info from 5.28.  One place to go on their site is the Conformance Certificates. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-26-2013 21:17
Keep in mind that the flux in flux cored wire has much lower hygroscopicity than fluxes used for SMAW,or even SAW. And the flux itself is not as exposed as the fluxes on the 'outside' of the core wire as with SMAW. There are even seamless wires that are even better.
I spent many years in houston. I would say that you face a greater issue from leaks in screwed header systems than from atmospheric absorption.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-23-2013 15:54
Sometimes you just have to cough up the dinero and buy a copy of the standard you need. The company should be willing to pay the tab.

Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-24-2013 21:14
Some company's don't mine coughing up the money AL, but I've worked at some places that would look at you as though you where stupid to even ask them to buy the code book. They look as though you should know it already, but who could remember all that information.

M.G.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-24-2013 21:21
Thank the Good Lord for giving us management of that caliber. They are the reason for our existence.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 08-27-2013 01:27 Edited 08-27-2013 01:34
Well, Thanks to the generosity of AWS we have a complete library of all of their books in our county. I found the code book, and in 6.4.3 Exposure Time Limits for FCAW electrodes.  #1 says did you check with the manufacturer? Well I thought, my supervisor checked with the sales rep or the Manufacturer to see what the exposure limits was on the wire, since he was the one that wanted to keep the wire in the feeders in the first place. I assumed there wasn't that why he had me go through all the trouble to find a loophole for him. Well wouldn't you know he didn't verify so back to square 1. He must have only looked at the outside label on the box.  Thats what I get for assuming.
Thanks for the directions Al and I'll keep you posted when I finish chasing down this rabbit.

But as for my shop foreman and supervisor. "Hey" you want to play with the Big Oil Field Boys "ya gotta play by their rules".

So for now we have all our welder, and tackers wrapping up their wire in the plastic twist tie bags, at the end of each shift. Sign in and out, from a controlled storage environment, monitor and rotate our stock. First in first out. Once ya get use to it, it's just like returning your tools to the tool room, not such a bad thing when you can see the benefits.  More paperwork and air conditioned office time for me.:wink:
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-27-2013 01:34
Good thinking never goes out of style.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / flux core wire storage