Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Truck boxes
- - By tazmannusa (**) Date 08-27-2013 01:30
Hello All
Ben building truck boxes again, First attempt to do 8 footers with 10 foot leaf brake. They are coming out better than I thought they would. 16 gauge on the boxes and the doors will be 14 gauge. The truck is getting setup with 6T well pulling rig . Lot of time consuming work setting one up from scratch.
  Tom
Attachment: IMG_0094.JPG (853k)
Attachment: IMG_0095.JPG (731k)
Attachment: IMG_0096.JPG (766k)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-27-2013 16:59
Good looking boxes.  Craftsmen at work on those.

I like F-17's ideas there on the doors.

For me it isn't a matter of losing actual space as the opening size for how big of parts you can get in.  But if it is all that big I will probably just set it on the bed anyway.

Keep up the good work.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By litchko (*) Date 08-27-2013 01:59
Nice job!
- - By tazmannusa (**) Date 08-27-2013 14:33
Thanks

Keeping the inside dry is always a problem, the best I have found so far is the external flange.
anyone come up with something better ? I have a 1/2" goose neck die coming for the press brake and have a few ideas to keep the trough flush but I think I might loose a lot of internal box space
  Tom
Parent - By F-17 (**) Date 08-27-2013 15:59
I used to build aluminum horse trailers,lots of doors on them,we had a custom extrusion that was in the shape of a Z,2 inch flange on the skin side,1 1/4 web for a door and a 5/8 leg for an inner flange to keep the water at bay.You could bend up that shape with your offset knife.We made double skinned doors to fit the openings,and weather stripped the inner flange.It really doesn't steal all that much space.
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 08-29-2013 01:26
I think keeping the water out is important but  the boxes  have to breath. I bought manufactured boxes and they sweat awful. The truck set up looks pretty nice and your doing a fine job.
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 08-29-2013 03:39
For sure on the breath, a friend of mine bought a couple side and top loaders from a local outfit. top quality and air tight, when he opened one up to show me how it was built, smelt bad from the mildew.
If work ever slows down again and I can get back after my 63 I think the boxes I build for that one I am thinking about shooting a few coats of epoxy paint with the ceramic beads mixed in, it does help keep the moister and condensation out. The best system I have seen was from Maintainer, there utility beds had fans and filters to keep the boxes pressurized. It kept the dirt and dust out and I would imagine dry too .
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-30-2013 00:43
On many fire trucks have aluminum boxes they are vented with simple vents you can make or buy.  Louvered screen vents but you could put sheet felt behind it to keep dust out.  Dri Deck is the original brand but there are other brands of the plastic & rubber dri decking material now.  Put it in bottom of your box to keep things off the metal and give more ventilation as well.  ROM Corp. & Gortite make aluminum and steel roll up doors but many of them aren't made for locking.  Many marine & camper supply places sell louvered stainless vents.

http://www.dri-dek.com/

http://www.romcorp.com/products/compartment-access/roll-up-doors

http://www.gortitedoors.com/
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 09-03-2013 14:36
That would be a good idea to put in a vent , even a simple clam shell style would work and be easy to make .
The last box for this truck is made up so now it's time for the doors, there is only 12 !
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Truck boxes