Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Interesting format today in the forum
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-30-2013 19:32
Not sure what happened or if this is supposed to look this way or not.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-30-2013 20:26
It wasn't that way before lunch.  When I checked in just now I thought I had messed something up on my new computer.  :lol: :roll: :confused:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-03-2013 12:06
I didn't switch any of my settings and the whole forum format changed on it's own......but I did find that if you go into "Options" and put a check in the box for "Show board descriptions" that it all sorted itself out, and the forum is now ledgible vs what I saw on Friday.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-03-2013 13:33
Checked that John, mine is already 'checked' and it changed at about the same time yours did and still has a very different home page and login page.  The forum itself seems to be okay though.

Have you heard anything from Ross and crew about it?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-03-2013 13:51

>Have you heard anything from Ross and crew about it?

::crickets::
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-04-2013 00:26
I too re-checked the box and refreshed, thankfully things seem to be back to normal with a few tweaks!
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-04-2013 00:36
I have had a few minutes to have a look around and there does seem to be some small differences with the layout/format from before, but all good ones, better color, icons etc
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-30-2013 20:47
I prefer the old way. Nevertheless, we have to adapt ourselves to technological novelties.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-30-2013 21:12
I agree.  Both from a looks perspective as well as functionality.  Besides, I HATE CHANGE!! 

This new computer and learning Windows 8 and Google Chrome is enough change for this old man in a week. 

Oh, well.  It is what it is.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 08-30-2013 21:41
I'm pretty sure the format is not supposed to look like this. Something IS broken!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-31-2013 02:22
Possible Virus/malware? Hmmmmm...

More will be revealed inevitably.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::roll::sad::razz:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-31-2013 14:08
I haven't noticed any changes.

I should say that I'm using Windows 7, 32 bit OS. I purchased a new "old" computer so I could stay with the 32 bit OS and still use my AutoCAD 2000.

Maybe the operating system influences the changes you mentioned. Like I said, I don't see anything changes that jump out at me.

Al
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 08-31-2013 15:03
Strange I get same result with both Chrome and IE and also on mobile devices:confused:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-01-2013 02:13
Just logged in and was blown away by this format. I'm sorry but if this is the new format it has definitely put the uck is Suck. To much white in the background, everything is crammed together. Hopefully this is just a bug or something.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-01-2013 02:19
I'm definitely in agreement on that one Shawn.  Hopefully come Tuesday Ross will be all over this and get it back to the former glory.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-01-2013 03:32
I'm pretty sure this is a simple setting on the forum control panel that controls how the forum is seen on the WWW. I would have thought one of the administrators would have sorted this by now!
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-01-2013 04:12
Looks fine to me.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-01-2013 13:32
Yes, this is as messed up as a Soup Sandwich.
Creates far too much eye movement to trying to keep indexed on the text.
I have a Mac, so it can be expected I suppose. The original format did not change when I switched from Windows to apple 2 years ago.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-02-2013 06:29
Now know it's not something I clicked on wrong lol.  Like going back 15 years.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-02-2013 07:17
I don't know what the fuss is all about?

The forum is shown just like it has been since the last upgrade on my computer... Hmmm - interesting indeed!:eek::roll:

It may just be because of windows 7 or 8? I'm still on vista in this "puter" and nothing has changed here...:confused::lol:

I think I'm gonna install Windows 8 on one of my desktops and see what happens... I'll let you all know if there's any change afterwards. :wink::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-02-2013 11:41
I have not changed anything on my computer or bought anything new for it which is why this is odd to me. Seems like this might have happened before some time ago, but can't quite remember when. Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens.
Parent - - By Hollaway Date 09-04-2013 18:34
The old way seemed to be a lot easier to read in my opinion. I'm having a hard time following anything with this new way.
Parent - - By Hollaway Date 09-04-2013 18:37
Wait... Im not sure what I did when I was messing with everything but mine went back to normal.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-04-2013 22:59
Question to everybody...

What is the web browser you use and are you using internet explorer or Firefox or any other app? Just a long shot but, who knows!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-05-2013 00:50
I'm using IE 10 and never had a problem.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-05-2013 11:21
IE here
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-05-2013 14:58
Tried both IE and GoogleChrome.

Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-05-2013 22:05
Well, I'm using Firefox as always and I have no problems...

However, I did notice that the way you get into the forum isn't the same routine I take in order to see the General main page and "log in..."
Simply because the way I go about connecting directly into the forum without the hassle of "Logging in" each time, is to use the
"Bookmarks feature" to save the "General" main page that shows all of the sections with myself already logged in. And I use that very same link to return to the same page since there's no need to log in at all afterwards...:eek::yell::twisted::lol::grin::wink::cool::cool:

Can you do that with "Internet Explorer from Microsoft" or "Google Chrome???" I ask this because I never use either so I have no need to try but, I will see if one can get into the "General" main page that displays all of the sections without having to log in and report back and inform you all whether (hint Brent:lol::wink:) or not I can duplicate the same "procedure" that I use currently with Mozilla Firefox! Because going through all of those motions just to get back into the same page that one frequents so much would absolutely drive me crazy - at least crazier than I am already!:eek::grin::lol::twisted::yell::wink::cool:

I think my "Procedure" is far more efficient than going through all those motions just to go back to the very same page I go to practically everyday when I want to check in and see what's interesting, and that is a very good reason to use the "Bookmarks" feature from your respective web browser...
Hey! It works for me!!! It should work for everyone else as well IMHO!:yell::smile::grin::lol::roll::wink::twisted::cool:

Btw, Mozilla Firefox is still safe and secure folks.:lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-06-2013 13:21 Edited 09-06-2013 15:01
I'm on IE, but I don't "have to" log in each time I visit the forum. I enter the forum through the AWS main web page and use the drop down menu to get to the forum, and if I haven't logged out...it stays logged in. I don't have to log in each time. The only time that I have to log in is when I clear my cache and cookies, but that is good to do every so often.

If everyone is still having trouble with the new format, let me know. I figured by now that everyone has cleaned out the old cookies and the forum has sent new cookies and everyone will be able to see the new forum without any issues.

EDIT#1 is anyone else seeing the forum format like this below VVV(see screenshot below)VVV

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

EDIt#2 Added screenshot of the new format as I see it.....this looks fine to me. VVV(see below)VVV
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-06-2013 14:52
Interesting, NO.  The forum itself is the same for me as it was before.  My only change has been on the open/home page and log in page.  And even when I come in through the website they look strange. 

I will try clearing cookies and starting over but considering I just fired this computer up last week I don't think that is what I am seeing. 

All that aside, I do not see a forum set up like when I went to your link.  That is indeed interesting and different.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-06-2013 15:34
Still messed for me too and hadn't changed anything.  Tried IE and been using google chrome tried other settings same thing like a forum from years ago.  :neutral:  Logged in at aws.org drop down & tried links here & my old bookmarked one still same.  Other forums and sites I go to has been no change only here.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-06-2013 16:02 Edited 09-06-2013 16:07
No John, I don't see it like what you posted as a screen shot... Yup!

No need to log in again if I don't log out or if I use the same bookmark after I cleared both the cache & cookies which is the only time I have to log in and only one time afterwards and didn't need to if 1.) I didn't log out or 2.) in my next session after logging back in, I use the same old bookmark I had previously used before I swept the cookies & cache which I do periodically also as part of routine maintenance... "I, I, I, I, I! And yet it's NOT all about me... I mean it!!!":yell::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::twisted::wink::cool:

I'm glad you figured it out John because I know that I'm not the only one in here that doesn't always need to log in to get into the forum and be able to post, etc.:wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 09-07-2013 00:26
That is how I see it now after I tried the options.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-07-2013 03:09
I have not logged in in so long, I don't remember my password.
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 09-07-2013 19:33
My screen looks like "Edit 1". I've clicked the "show board description" box several times, restarted, refreshed, etc. and nothing changes for me. :mad:

Chris
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 09-07-2013 20:01
I went into options at the top of the page and then to the bottom and  clicked on change. good luck
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-08-2013 00:02
No John, I don't see it in that format.

M.G.
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-02-2013 13:30
Just for the record with those who aren't noticing any difference, it is when I first go to the address/link below when I go to my favorites and click on AWS. 

https://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/forum_show.pl

Then I go over and hit the 'Log In' and get another strange (read: different than before) page with all my user name and password info for logging in. 

Once I get into the forum, it is the same.  So, it probably depends upon how you sign in and out. 

Along that line, I'm going to try a couple of different things and see if every approach is the same.

Also for the record, I just switched from a 5 year old laptop that I broke while in England  that operated on Vista, to a new laptop with Windows 8.  But, for 2 weeks it was the same as it had been.  I noticed to switch the same time John did.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-02-2013 13:40
Nope, always the same thing.  Went back and checked the address on my old computer and it is identical.  Tried to go in through the AWS Website and from the homepage going to 'services' and down to 'forum' but the address there is the same also and gives me the same goofy page.  Tried a couple other old routes in but to no avail, they all give this very strange Log In page.

Still have not noticed a difference on the forum proper once in though.  It seems to be fine.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-02-2013 14:15
Total FUBAR!
I can't open other Topics.
The machine has taken the helm.
"Dave, would you like to check the air lock?"
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-02-2013 15:21
Seems to be affecting everyone differently.  It must have something to do with various servers, operating systems, etc.

I can move around to different topics, threads, reply to them, all are working;  it's just the crazy login page.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-02-2013 16:07
WOW!  It is quite different and a pain to look through if you just want to look without signing in.  Not any fun at all. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-05-2013 11:39
"Open the pod bay door HAL"

Unlike!

Both Windows PC and Iphone are lousy.

Don't like the look

Since Ross has not chimed in... We shall blame it all on him.

Dogpile !!!!!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-05-2013 11:45 Edited 09-05-2013 11:48
The thing that I think is weird is that after I checked that box, the forum looked to be alright on my computer, then I noticed as a scrolled through the postings that a few of them are still in that weird format, while the rest of them are fine.
I do not understand that at all.

EDIT*
LMBO!....I just realized that 46.00 had posted a jpeg of what the forum looked like in that weird format....my computer is fine.
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-05-2013 14:21
What happen to the forum it has change, now I don't mine changes, but what happen to the SEARCH feature. I LIKED OLD FORUM BETTER.

M.G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-05-2013 14:57 Edited 09-05-2013 14:59
Milt,

The thread just under yours is about this issue (of course it won't be under if someone else posts on it). EDIT:

"Interesting Format on the Forum Today" is the title. 

No idea from Miami yet as to what happened.

Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-05-2013 15:58
Brent,
I merged the two threads...:wink:

....so..... you'll look silly to someone else who is reviewing the thread for the first time:eek: :razz:....LMBO :grin:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-05-2013 18:31
That's alright, I have been told I look funny all the time anyway.  :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Interesting format today in the forum