Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / api 1104 or D1.1
- - By Steve Sterling Date 09-04-2013 16:36
Hello I live in tulsa ok. an there is lots of pipe welding in tulsa Iam enrolled to do CWI exam an I was going for api 1104 seminar an exam. but Iam wondering if I should go the other route.  Would love to here some feed back an coments about endorsements.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2013 16:56
I would carefully consider what industrial sector I want to work in.

If there is an abundance of pipeline work, API 1104 is a reasonable choice.

If you anticipate working in the structural steel or bridge sector, then consider AWS D1.1 as a strong contender.

AWS does not differentiate between which open book examination was taken. As a matter of fact, which open book examination was taken is not listed on the CWI credential. However, be aware that more and more potential employers do care which test was passed. The employer may consider one exam more favorably than another. A number of state DOTs require documented evidence that D1.1 or the D1.5 open book examination was passed.

Good luck – Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-04-2013 20:24 Edited 09-04-2013 20:26
Al,

There is a new style card being distributed as of the Fall/Winter exams this year (2013).  It will have the Inspector's picture (don't forget to send in your Passport style picture) and I believe will also replace the Endorsements card and will have your original code book and any endorsements all listed on the back of the card.

I believe it is going to be very much like the ASNT card.  Mine only has VT on it but the card says exactly what you are qualified for per the issuing agency.  This would be more important for ASNT with the differing NDE techniques but it appears AWS liked the idea and is adopting it.

I know, now it will appear even more that we NEED (in the eyes of customers) the endorsements for various codes or we aren't qualified.  Totally messes with the idea that the AWS/CWI is certified to inspect to any code regardless of which open book exam was taken.

We'll have to wait and see.

To the OP: From the sounds of your circumstances I would recommend the API 1104.  But as Al stated, consider carefully.  Then again, you can always go back and take the endorsement exam and prove your abilities at navigating through both codes.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2013 21:51
A far as I know the card you are talking about is still in the planning stage. Staff showed the committee several different card styles at our last meeting. I believe they said it would be next year before they would be ready to roll it out to the public.

As far as the endorsement card goes, it is the CWI's prerogative to show it to anyone. The idea of endorsements was in response to customer's demands. Before the concept of endorsements was approved by the Certification Committee, the CWI wishing to take a different open book examination had to take all three examinations as if he/she had never tested before. I fell into that category many years ago.

The endorsement card provides the CWI with documented evidence that he/she successfully passed an endorsement (open book) examination. It is an easy way to meet a customer requirement that the CWI present documented evidence of passing the required open book exam. Prior to the endorsement card, the CWI had to keep the original test report issued by AWS when an examination was taken. The report included a detail breakdown of the test score. That might not be exactly what the CWI wants the customer to see if the test score was barely passing.

As I mentioned, it is entirely up to the CWI whether the endorsement card is offered to the customer. AWS has not changed its position that a CWI has demonstrated the ability to navigate a code. That is a skill that can be applied to any code. However, the customer has every right to require the CWI to demonstrate the ability to navigate a particular welding standard. One of the reasons the shipyards do not accept the CWI credential is that it doesn't meet ASNT SNT-TC-1A regarding the practical examination (NAVSEA welding and inspection standards).

The customer is paying for a service and he who holds the gold gets to make the rules. Contrary to popular belief, the CWI isn't the customer. The customer is the organization that hires the CWI or uses the CWI's services.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Steve Sterling Date 09-05-2013 00:07
A lot of equipment that is built in Tulsa is for refinerys, natural gas, oilfeild and chemical plants.  I figure that a lot depends on what the customer is looking for. Many of the shops work by asme code so I figure that depending on jobs they may want asme endorsements as well.  Thanks for your feed back it is greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-05-2013 15:03
According to this link they are requiring pictures to be submitted now with registration for exams.  When I proctored the exam in Phoenix in July i'm pretty sure everyone had had to submit photos.  They were told it might not be the card issued to them but it was starting later this year. 

http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/photoidreqs.html?id=cKguo6qT&mv_pc=140

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-05-2013 15:31
I was a little concerned about this since my renewal is in the works at the moment.  I called John Gayler at the Cert Dept and he informed me that, my renewal paperwork would not be kick back because there's no photo attached.  One less stress riser in my life.
Parent - - By Steve Sterling Date 09-05-2013 17:41
When I submitted my paperwork last week a 2'' by 2'' passport style photo was required.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2013 20:28
Good to know. As I said, the Certification Committee was told the new photo IDs would not be rolled out until next year.

Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-05-2013 23:36
I received my renewal packet around 2 months ago, It said nothing of needing a photo. All my papers have been turned in for renewal about a week ago, I'll let you know if it goes through.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-06-2013 14:46
ctacker,

Two months ago you should have been okay.  And mostly it has been in the packets for those applying for the seminar/exams.  Al may be right that it will not actually begin until next year, but they are already having people send in the photos so the process is in place, announcements made everywhere on the website and print lit, etc. 

Since you did it through the packet you received they should honor it.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Steve Sterling Date 09-06-2013 21:53
Got e-mail today I have been confirmed for seminar an exam you are right conference committe said that photo thing will not go in effect till next year.  Went ahead an ordered books the api1104 an api1104 exam study guide book they were pricey.  Have a great day,    Steve
Parent - By Steve Sterling Date 09-06-2013 21:58
Got e-mail today I have been confirmed for seminar an exam you are right conference committe said that photo thing will not go in effect till next year.  Went ahead an ordered books the api1104 an api1104 exam study guide book they were pricey.  But when I downloaded papers it did request photo so I sent photo that was a wasted 10.00.                  Have a great day,    Steve
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / api 1104 or D1.1