Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Table 4.11 index (D)
- - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-04-2013 17:31
Question:
Can our 6GR welder, weld out the root and hot pass, on a 8” pipe butt joint, and then have my 3G-4G welder complete the weld under Table 4.11 index (D)?
I got one super saying yes because the weld has now become a PJP.
I have another super saying "the joint is called out on the drawing as a CJP and only our 6GR welder can weld it under D1.1 table 4.1"

I've been searching but I don't see the answere written straight out for me to show them the correct answere to this issue.
Parent - By gastonM (**) Date 09-12-2013 17:37
Excuse me. Is there a TKY conection or a  but joint?,
3G+4G welder, cant weld  tky conection nor but joint, because pipe dia is less than 24 inch. If would say (2G + 5G) welder, i am agree with you, welder dont need to demonstrate the ability to weld without backing because he weld with the backing of root and hot pass of 6GR welder.
I hope have understood your question. In my opinion is not a limitation of the position of welding position but of ability of deposit sound metal without backing.

Best Regards.

Gastón
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-12-2013 17:47
Why not use the guy who is qualified and have him weld out the entire joint and avoid having conflicting inspector opinions/interpretations altogether?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-12-2013 19:12
Is it Deja vu or did I respond to this question elsewhere?

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-12-2013 19:31
Hmm, I'm not sure Al...the original post is a few days old now.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-12-2013 19:35
I think this was a double post.

I did a search and found the other thread with the same question, word for word.

Al
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-12-2013 23:39
Sorry about the double post: I'm still getting use to using this forum. I'd like to send pictures as well but that's for another story.

This  plot does thicken though. The butt joint was an 8" pipe welded to a 2" thick plate inserted through both ends of the pipe. ( Spreader bar). The 8" pipe is beveled to a CJP against the 2" plate. The 6GR welder had access to weld the inside of the pipe to the plate, and backgouge the joint. Don't know why they pulled the 6GR weld off from finishing the joint, but I stopped the 3G-4G welder before he could get started.

Well, they tell me because it isn't a pipe to pipe butt joint, This is considered in there eyes, a plate butt joint, and the code restrictions for 3G-4G  doesn't apply. I told them "Hello you forgot the PIPE"? The size restriction on the pipe to pipe or pipe to plate it didn't matter it still a CJP on a 8" pipe.

Was I right?

By the way typing my issues has become therapeutic. I only reworded this page 3 times, there go, why you got a double post by accident. :smile:

Thanks fellows
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-13-2013 01:01
:confused:  :roll:  :lol:
Parent - By gastonM (**) Date 09-30-2013 17:37
I think you were right: Plate is an infinite diameter pipe, then, weld 8" to a plate its a "T" conection. welder 3G&4G was not qualified for this job.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Table 4.11 index (D)