Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Making a handrail.
- - By mcostello (**) Date 09-10-2013 01:41
I would like to make a handrail for my front steps and am just passing this through  here hoping to get some advice. I was thinking about using 2" exhaust tubing as I wondered if it would be easier to bend with my 12 ton bender. The rail would have about  a 8-9" fall combined with about a 30' radius. Any hints or help would be appreciated.
Parent - By devo (***) Date 09-10-2013 03:28
A sketch would help....Did you really mean a 30 foot radius?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-10-2013 14:03
Is it 30' long with a slight radius? Or an actual 30' radius? 

Light is not good with a bender.  The sharper the radius/bend the thicker the material needs to be to keep it from kinking.  Now, some rollers will handle a slight radius in light tube fairly well but still, talk to someone with a roller before making a final decision.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 09-10-2013 21:19
It's a 30' radius with a length of about 9 or 10 feet.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-10-2013 21:32
Depending upon the material you can bend that by hand.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-13-2013 18:01
Are you putting a radius on this just because you want to be different? Or is this where you are getting your drop over the steps? Or is it the stairs curve to the left or right?

I've used a tubing roller on lighter stuff, channel, decorative tubing even. I had to get a custom die made but rolled 100 feet of decorative tube for a condo I did rail at and had to have this on the inside of the guardrail for handrail. If you had a tubing roller doing 9-10 feet would be a breeze. Use a common size so the dies are easier to get. Most pipe rail I build is a schedule 40 pipe but I suppose you could use a 1.5" tube which or something. A 12 ton bender would work just have to go slow and easy a little at a time. Make a template of what your radius is like and bend your pipe little by little and keep checking it against the template. Takes time but it works and cheaper than paying a guy with a roll machine, plus you can get it more accurate to what you actually have. Most concrete that I have had to make templates of are no radius at all, just some concrete guy throwing up a piece of ply and standing back then saying, "looks good".

The stuff I did looked great over a distance but it had long steps, each step had a slightly different radius than the other but they were all connected over a 30 foot length. I know this sounds weird but rolling out one continuing radius of 20 feet for example and it would not have worked on these stairs. I had to tweak and work it over the entire length to match the templates. Not hard or hard to figure out, just takes patience.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Shawn
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 09-14-2013 01:46
Steps curve to the left going down and the handrail needs to drop about a foot. I have made many brake and fuel lines so I do have some experience.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-14-2013 11:22
Sounds pretty straight forward then. Enjoy!
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 09-15-2013 01:04
Thanks, watched them all.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Making a handrail.