Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / newbie seeking job advice.
- - By EdwardweldHands Date 09-10-2013 16:16
hey everyone

i need some advice or insight from the welding veterans. i'm a recent aws certified graduate in 6g pipe, and im getting very discouraged on trying to find a job. when i was in school the instructor filled my head with the false promises and unattainable goal of being able to easily acquire a job as soon as you graduate. its been almost 4 months now and ive had no luck. every job i look at and have been interviewed for requires previous job experience. therefore a 6g pipe cert means nothing? i cant simply quit my min. wage job to become a apprentice because i need income. i guess what i really want is a response too is how did the welding veterans first get their experience. i know im not the only struggling. how can a youngblood like me gain the exp. so i can actually get a job?
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 09-10-2013 16:47
Hello EdwardweldHands;
I got my start in welding by being a helper. I worked in a crane manufacture shop. I would do the grinding, sweeping, cleaning, etc and at breaks and lunch would go out and practice welding. I got good enough to test and have been doing it ever since in one form or another. I do envy you on having a formal education in the art. I learned from the old timers. There is a wealth of knowledge that can be learned from these seasoned vets. You may go that route and be glad that you did. Helper jobs are not usually minimum wage and the experience can only help you; in my opinion. Best of luck with the job search.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-10-2013 16:53
What I did back in 1975 to get my first paying welding job off the farm really doesn't mesh with today's job market requirements and this current economy.

Outside of that, just keep trying.  Hopefully you have a well written, not too lengthy, resume.  It needs a short cover letter as well.  Send it out everywhere.

You will have problems starting out as a welder.  You will need to start as a helper and learn more, work hard, and prove yourself.

Most helper jobs start higher than minimum wage.  Why would you not leave a go no where job to get where you want to be?

Good luck.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-10-2013 17:31
New career right?

You GOTTA go where the work is and start at the bottom.

If you can fit and weld a 6G pipe as advertized, you won't stay long at the bottom.

If all you can do is weld pipe, you may have limited yourself somewhat.  If you also have GMAW and GTAW skills you are much more marketable.

If you are applying only for high paying pipe work rather than taking any welding job out there, this issue is really with you and not the employer.

I'm not paying top wage to an unproven person...

Once you land a job (any welding job) you become more marketable... HR people LOVE to steal talent...  They just do
- By Dualie (***) Date 09-11-2013 04:45
No one starts at the top.    i would apply to any welding gig you can find.      Hopefully you can find one in a place with room to grow.
- - By EdwardweldHands Date 09-11-2013 13:56
so it sounds like i may have a few things wrong with my application. ill try to focus on a variety of welding skills instead of just pipe, and apply for the helper positions rather than say a pipe welder or fitter. i guess i just wanted to get into pipe welding so badly thats all ive been applying for. i really appreciate the help everyone. ill try going at it a little differently. thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-11-2013 14:01
Keep after it man...don't give up. :cool:
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-15-2013 23:17
Edward, where are you located ?
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / newbie seeking job advice.