Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WELDING OVWELAY WPS
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 09-11-2013 15:53
dear ,
I asked if the welding overlay process( for corroded crabon steel pressure vessel shell plates) need WPS and PQR as any welding system or not ,
if yes  how it could be ?
best regards
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 09-11-2013 16:10
Are you attempting to repair a 'pressure vessel'?
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 09-16-2013 13:40
Hi Alkhiat

As already stated, you need to let your welding / fabrication code lead you to the answer. Different codes may have different requirements. In the case of an ASME VIII vessel, using ASME IX welding code, you would typically need to qualify the WPS using a groove weld.

Regards
Niekie
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-11-2013 16:30
The applicable code will provide a list of essential and nonessential variables that are applicable to qualify a WPS for surface welds, i.e., overlays, cladding, hard facing, etc.

The type of testing required is different than the test required for a groove weld or fillet weld. They are unique to surface welds.

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-11-2013 22:13
Hi Al,

I never heard of "Corroded Crabon Steel...":confused::roll::razz::eek::wink:

I wonder how much carbon is in this "corroded crabon steel???":roll::eek::wink: Is this metal in the Farm code and if so, which edition???:twisted::roll::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-11-2013 22:41
Watch out Al, Henry is on a roll today :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-11-2013 23:43
All of the above, and for 10 bonus points: What is the prime element in black coffee?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-12-2013 01:55
If'n it isn't a listed number, i.e., no P number assigned, it has to be qualified by testing. So, I would have to place crabon steel into the unassigned category.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-12-2013 12:41
From my personal experience,  I would say it probably corroded because of all that crabon.  Really corrosive that crabon is. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 09-12-2013 19:04 Edited 09-12-2013 19:10
I guess we've had enough fun with the spelling error. I should be the last person to throw stones at anyone because of spelling. I get myself into trouble every time I attempt to write something without running it through spell check.

As far as texting, forget it! I'm all thumbs when it comes to trying to use those little virtual keyboards.

I just notice, this chap is from Egypt. I give him extra points and plenty of credit for even attempting to ask a question in English.

I hope he has a sense of humor.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WELDING OVWELAY WPS