Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / prescription eye glass frames for welders??
- - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-12-2013 01:00
Years ago when i first started welding i seen some guys post up a website of a place actually very close to me in Baton Rouge Louisiana that sells these eyeglass frames that you can have made for prescription lenses and these frames were very skinny and actually wrapped around the back of your ear for a good non slip tight fit.

I think Cactus had posted about them does anyone know a website to the company that sells these frames?? I had a time seeing this afternoon and tried a could of guys cheaters and thought why not dry my clear driving eye glasses and I was like holy cr*p I can SEE AGAIN.

Anyway does anyone know the site for this frames?? I do remember them being so slender they fit under the guys who had pancake shields.

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-12-2013 01:17
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-12-2013 02:00
I just found them thank you and there was another guy I thought to. Fixalinc do you use Tom Waters frames if so how ya like them? more concerned when i nod my head will the glasses stay where they need to be. My weird prescription the doctor told me a cheater isn't gonna help me because all it does is magnifys it and i don't need that. Tom waters does make a custom cheater and I do like that one to, may buy frames nad cheater.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 09-12-2013 03:12
Chris,

I had a pair of Tom Waters glasses years ago. They were good and I can't say anything bad about them. They were great people to deal with and know what is needed to fit inside a pancake. I use Uvex prescription frames with transition lenses now. I really like them and they are very comfortable. Won't fit in a pancake though.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-12-2013 12:32
I found these  (A2) brand perscription Bifocal safety glasses and I'm very pleased

As you see they wrap around so I don't need to clip side shields to be compliant in plants.

They seal on top with a nice cushion but still somehow don't fog on me very often when I weld.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-12-2013 12:37
Sorry about the giant file size...   Go got a new camera and cut the file to 40% and it's still huge!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-13-2013 01:18
Lawrence those are nice but I have this dam stigmatism single vision and those type of wrap arounds don't work I have tried this in sun glasses that were prescription and have learned there can be absolutely NO curvature in the lens because it then intensifies itself.

I would like to know though could I get the Tom Waters in tempered glass instead of this dang plastic lenses they make?? Friend said glass is a little heavier and cost more but won't scratch like the plastic lenses and I have to agree I would prefer glass being a welding a grinding dust everywhere I would think glass will last longer.
Going ti eye doctor tomorrow and gonna try and make it to Tom Waters shop before they close. S*CKS getting older and vision goes to crap but I learned real quick Tuesday I need new glasses especially now wearing them under the shield.

I kinda wonder about the wrap around the ear frames but thats why I'm gonna go to the store and try them on.

Fixalinc thanks for posting all the links.

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 09-13-2013 02:07
Guys,

The jerks at the car wash managed to "misplace" my glasses...

So I am currently back to my old regular safety glasses with the side shields.

These are what I like to wear. https://www.uvexrx.com/swrx/uvex-rx-safety-eyewear-productsswrxsw06E.htm
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-13-2013 03:03
those are nice
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-12-2013 12:44
L,
Those look alot like the V2 Readers by Crews #CRE BKH25 2.0 power bifocals. These are clear(no power in the top) and 2.0 power bifocals in the lower portion of the lens. You can get different power/magnifyers in these.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-12-2013 22:30 Edited 09-12-2013 22:46
No haven't had Tom Waters those kind of ear pieces don't agree with me.  Had some like Uvex Wade is talking about.  I'm due some new ones so this is kind of interesting for me too.  Had heard Lenscrafters & some other chain stores sold prescription safety glasses and their website shows the ones like Lawrence has.  Those are more what I"m looking for next time.  Check with your other local optometrist they may be able to order different kinds in and the one I usually deal has those smaller wire frame glasses but has to order them in usually but I've never got those.  Graingers, Fastenal, Northern Safety & others sell the ones like John has too. 

http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/rx-safety-glasses

http://www.safevision.net/7-wrap-around

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/welding-safety-glasses.html

http://www.safevision.net/prescription-glasses/51-og-220s.html
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-13-2013 23:36
went on down to Tom Waters today and bought me a pair of these full rim pipeline special and man there probably the most comfortable eye glasses I have ever put on my face no joke. I went with the plastic instead of the glass this guy said they will probably hold up longer plus i'll get them in a week instead of 2 weeks with the glass. Got them with UV protection and scratch resistant coating single vision delivered to my house for $154 thats cheap as sh*t compared to what i bought these other frames from my eye doctor for.
I got them with the side pieces to protect my eyes to. I'll be ordering another pair in the very near future for sure.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-14-2013 02:41
Not bad.  Everything I was pricing off that safety vision went up to $200 or over $300 fast or more.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-14-2013 02:54 Edited 09-14-2013 02:58
I know i was shocked at the price but do realize I do have single vision so that does make it cheaper. This was also the shipping to my house as well. I think once I get these in the mail, I'll be ordering a back up pair. When I know I need sunglass frames or clear night time driving I'll be going to them as well. This guy I talked to he really knew his stuff when it came to frames. I mean I have never had that kinda customer service before not EVER. These will be about as custom fit of eye glass frames i have ever had. I tried on a pair and I was like can I get them so the piece that goes behind your ear is longer and he was like sure I can make them longer. I'm actually allergic to metal which is ironic I'm a welder but like jewelry and that kinda stuff I get a weird allergic reaction and he offered to sleeve the entire length of the frame that goes to my ear for a fee but it was cheap so I was like go ahead and do it. I should have gotten them a long time ago.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-14-2013 03:06
Yeah single vision is less.  Always heard good about Tom Waters and anything I had to return they always made it right.  Give it a few more years and you'll be needing the bifocals like the rest of us lol.  At the shop when working on mags I've got 3 other different pairs of clear magnifiers use sometimes depending on how small the parts are and one that is right for the lathe too.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-14-2013 15:23 Edited 09-14-2013 16:21
I know it won't be long till i need bifocals I'm sure but in the mean time I'm gonna do what i can to take care of my eyes so maybe they won't be so bad.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-14-2013 21:27
I have used Tom Waters for YEARS. They work Great and they are Top Notch !!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-14-2013 23:53
Cactus it was you that posted about them i think 8 or 9 years ago. I'm excited as hell to get them, now just gotta be real careful with my driving glasses when i weld with them not to screw them up until the new ones come in.

Cactus do you use the clear or the amber?? The guy said a lot of guys go with the amber. I'm kinda thinking the light blue would be nice
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-15-2013 14:03
I have several pair. I wear Bifocals. I have the Clear, Blue and Rose Color. I also have a pair of the Transition Lenses. The Transitions are my Favorite. Next favorite is the Blue Tint for welding.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-15-2013 16:22
I've never had transition and wasn't sure about getting them but the blue tint I like a lot because my safety glasses i have always worn were a light blue color. Some reason that light blue color was alway nice on my eyes when people are lighting up around me.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-15-2013 17:28
The best I remember, they offer 3 shades of blue. I have used the Middle shade and it is GREAT ! If you wear glasses all the time, The Transitions are the way to go ! I love mine !
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-15-2013 18:40
Yeah i did see three shades of blue when I was there, i's getting to the point i'm almost wearing them all the time. Right now i have a one pair that are sun glasses for when I go fishing or just driving and one pair that is clear for night time driving. These glasses will be strictly my under the hood welding glasses. The transition do they only go dark when you are in actual sunlight?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-15-2013 22:55
The Transitions are VERY clear unless you are in Sunlight. They do not darken with artificial light (Inside the house)
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-19-2013 23:56
Glasses are finally in but forgot to ask about antiglare and when i called Buddy at the store he said it isn't good to get it because if you get a hot spark on the lens the antiglare will start peeling off. i'm gonna welding with them tomorrow and see how well they do. My old prescriptions seems a little clearer but maybe its either the anti glare coating or I just simply have to get use to the new prescription, it isn't off by much though.

Cactus do you have the little side shields that go on the glasses? I can't see to get mine to have a nice fit, may have to modify the little side shield a little. SUPER happy with them man they fit like a glove, won't be long and I'll be wanting another pair.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-20-2013 13:05
I dont use the Side Shields. However, I have Anti Glare and Scratch Resistance on ALL of mine. I have never had a problem
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-20-2013 15:29
I do have the scratch resistant coat and UV protection thinking now maybe i should have gotten anti-glare as well. The anti glare glasses i have for driving just look so much sharper looking through them.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-22-2013 23:57
You can send them back and have it added. Think about something. Someone told you that the Anti Glare will peel off right ? It is a Coating just like the UV and scratch resistant. I have never had a problem with them peeling nor have I ever heard of it. IF it does peel, Send it back and they will fix it. Just an example of how good they are. The last pair I ordered were transitions with all of the coatings. It was close to 300.00. The Dr. wrote down the WRONG prescription. When I got my new glasses, needless to say, IT WAS BAD !! I went back to the Dr. and ANOTHER Doctor in the office found the problem. It was the Doctors fault 100%. I call Tom Waters and told them what happened. They ask me to Fax the the correct Prescription. The made my new Glasses as I wanted AT NO COST TO ME !! AND they sent them Overnight ! All they ask was to return the old ones. I don't think it gets any better than that !!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-23-2013 01:20 Edited 09-23-2013 02:14
I welded with both the new Tom Waters and my old pair that had the anti glare and after using them both i realized under the hood there isn't a lot of difference but I plan to order another pair as a back up pair and I will order them with the anti-glare though. I can't send these back right now for the antiglare i realize now how bad i need them for under the hood but will just order another pair here soon. Yes someone told me that it would peel off but you're right hell the other coating would want to peel off to. I would have gotten anti glare with this lens but I forgot to mention it. Once i buy a back up pair I will probably send these back and have them added, i think working outside I would want the antiglare though. It S*CKS getting older I realize now how much I rely on these glasses now.

I was looking at the prescription of the sun glasses i bought from my Doctor and the price of the Tom Waters and my Gosh Tom charges so much less then what my doctor charges so from now on i will use the doctor for the prescription and will use Tom for the frames. My doctor was 90 dollars single vision Tom Waters was 25 for single vision, thats a know brainer right there to go with Tom. Buddy who works for Tom Waters got my glasses to me faster then what my doctor got them to me.

I'm sold on Tom waters no doubt hands down there the best and about the nicest people you will ever meet in person. Thats pretty nice of them to fix your lenses for FREE, Cactus have you been to there store in Baton Rouge? They have a good selection of other frames besides the pipeliner special frames.

Was able to get on google maps and take a tour of the store thought I'd share it https://www.google.com/maps?layer=c&z=17&sll=30.489218999999995,-91.08893499999999&cid=2298686574977175032&panoid=VZ20MOqaKKtnZEtl_27Q2Q&cbp=13,176.31147540983613,,0,0&q=tom+waters&ei=TqI_UtTeGqis2QXshIGoCQ&ved=0CKsBEKAfMBA
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-23-2013 16:15
Hey Chris,  Did they have some of the other safety glasses frames too ?  Sounds like I need to check out what others they have.  Do that here get one doc to do prescription and there is another place does frames & lenses for way less but they don't carry any safety glasses frames yet.  Transition lenses have gotten better over the years I've got those for years.  When they get slow about changing colors or won't change dark enough doc told me to put them in the freezer for a while and it helps reset them or something so they work good again.  Sounds crazy but it works.  I've had the polarized coating put on some and they didn't peel.  Grinding flack gets stuck on them just like any other glasses but they never peeled.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-24-2013 00:08
Glen,
I'm not really sure if they have any other safety glasses I didn't look that hard and I should have but they had an assortment of eye glass frame for men woman and kids and  they were stylish you might want to give them a call and see if they have other safety glass frames. I hate to do it to my doctor use her for the prescription and Tom Waters for the frames but h*ll this lady doctor is so expensive on her dang frames and well lenses. I know of people who have the transition lenses, I just don't now if I'd like them. I did like the very light blue tint eye glasses they had so I may take a drive on down there in another couple of weeks when I buy another pair and get them i need to try them on again though. He did have the amber color which he sells a lot of I guess it would be a good color if you were outside a lot.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-24-2013 21:36
Chris, Only time I don't like transition lenses is when working on machinery outside in the sun and having to go back in forth into the shop for bolts or whatever you can't see till they change back or have to keep another pair to use inside that are clear.  They will turn darkest in the snow that I guess you don't have to worry about lol.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-24-2013 23:58
I'm gonna just stick with two pair of glasses, I have one for when I'm in my boat and driving a car and one pair for driving at night, guess it will be the same with welding now.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / prescription eye glass frames for welders??