Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / The need of R stamp
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 09-15-2013 11:54
dears ,
I have a pressure vessel with an U stamp , the maintenance company refused to bring AI to perform R stamp
is it essential to perform R stamp on the vessel as per ASME VIII requirements or not.
best regards
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-15-2013 14:05
The contractor performing the work must be a holder of the "R" stamp issued by the National Board. If the work is performed by anyone other than an "R" stamp holder, the vessel is no longer code compliant and it is no longer recognized as a registered vessel.

I suspect the issue is that the repairs are to be performed by a contractor is not authorized/issued a "R" stamp by the National Board, thus whether an Authorized Inspector is present or not is a moot point.

Al
Parent - - By Hollaway Date 09-16-2013 12:50
What kind of repair are you making? If it falls under a "routine" repair an R stamp may not be required. Al is correct though. If it IS a repair needing an R stamp and one isnt put on it by the company doing the repairs, the vessel is no longer compliant with code.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 09-16-2013 16:37
It is my understanding that only an "R" certificate holder may perform routine repairs, repairs and alterations.

2011 NBIC Part 3 states;
3.3.2 Routine Repairs
a) Routine repairs are repairs for which the requiremnts for in porcess involvement by the Inspector and stamping by the "R" Certificate Holder may be waived as determined appropriate by the Jusirdiction and the Inspector.  All other applicable requirements of this Code shall be met.  Prior to performing routine repairs, the "R" Certificate Holder should deterine that routine repairs are acceptable to the Jurisdication where the pressure retaining item is installed;

b)  The Inspector, with the knowledge and understanding of the jurisdicational requirements, shall be responsible for meeting jurisdiction requirements and the requirements of this Code.

c) The "R" Certificate Holder's Quality System Program shall describe the process for identifying, controlling, and implementing routine repairs.  Routine repairs shall be documented on For R-1 with this statement.

Further information describes the categories that may be considered routine.

My advice would be to contact the National Board Member in that jurisdiction which would be Michael Graham for Oregon, Luis Ponce for Texas however I see in the OP's profile he is from Egypt and am unfamiliar with jurisdication there.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-18-2013 19:15
The thing is, it is not up to the maintenance company to make that decision. It is up to the owner of the equipment. The owner of the equipment can do whatever they want. If they do not wish to bring an AI they have that authority. However, as Al stated it is no longer a code vessel.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / The need of R stamp