Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How do I correct CWI Mistake on a welder's qualification
- - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-24-2013 02:53
My welder passed his 3G-4G FCAW 1" plate test accordance with Fig 4.21. So I'm filling out AWS D1.1 2010 ANNEX N-4 form, and  I checked out the way our previous CWI completed the form and found a few errors.
1) Wrong F number. he has F4, that stick rod, which doesn't match the class No. E71T-1 or Spec. No. 5.20
2) Guided Bend test Results  he put, 4,PCS side bends per AWS D1.1 see Fig 4.14 specimen acceptable. Fig 4.14 is a Reduced Section Tension Specimens
3) Under qualification Range he typed "ALL CLASSES" would that be a correct statement for his welding wire is listed as E71T-1? I typed F6 as my qualification range.
4) Can you use a WPS that is a 6GR, welded with FCAW on your 3G- 4G welder qualification form? Thats what the last CWI put down on this welder's qualification form.

So they presented me with a 3G-4G FCAW 1" WPS qualified in 1994. Problem is no one signed it.
They used 1994 314/ Annex E-1 form. Authorized signature is not signed. Only the NDT company signed that the test was recorded, coupons and tinsels were tested accepted on their own company NDT form.

5) Shouldn't a CWI or company representative have to sign or place their stamp on the form to make it acceptable for me to use as my WPS that my welder tested from?
I'm at fault for not checking the WPS I was given carefully. 

I don't have a 1994 D1.1 but they qualified their 3G-4G WPS with 1" plate with an open root and back gouged and rewelded the root. "No backing strap". Is this an acceptable per D1.1 in 1994? Or should have they followed Fig 4.21 set up. They have the top of the 314/Appendix E-1 form listed as Qualified by Testing
My welder qualified with a backing strap Fig 4.21, D1.1 2010
I want my first Welder Qualification Test Record to be correct. But it will be hard for me to use their WPS with an open root and mine was welded with a backing strap.

Oh, my supervisor tells me to go through all our welder's certs and correct any errors I find, from our previous CWI. How do I do that without retesting the welders?
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-24-2013 10:22
Hey fit2inspect,
Is there any hope in getting in contact with the previous CWI, getting him to initial the corrections and final signature/stamp?
(There's probably other documents lacking).
Tyrone
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-24-2013 11:02
I'm going to ask my supervisor this morning, but he left under less than admirable circumstances. I doubt if they will even ask him even if they could find him.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-24-2013 11:23

>My welder qualified with a backing strap Fig 4.21, D1.1 2010
>I want my first Welder Qualification Test Record to be correct. But it will be hard for me to use their WPS with an open root and mine was welded with a backing strap.

So does your situation fit into a prequalified status? If so, I would write a prequalified WPS for the test coupon that you had your welder perform(Fig 4.21). I know this is backwards and the cart is before the horse, but it may straighten out the paperwork for this one situation and you can use it for future welder testing. May want to call it something like TP1 or something and use this when testing welders.

I'll have to re-read your original posting before commenting further on what you found with all of that other....uggh, sounds like a mess on the surface.
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-24-2013 15:39 Edited 09-25-2013 01:14
I researched  the F numbers in 2007 Section IX.  Page 129, F-6,  5.20,  AWS has it listed as “All Classifications”. So, All Classes would be correct on the welder's  cert.. Learned something I forgot a long time ago. I've been on my hands and knees checking welds too long.

On the WPS without signatures. I pushed the WPS back to them, and low and behold they found the revised and correct WPS they had all along. They sure to make me sweat.
As for the welders with the badly written certs. Looks like I'll be busy retesting them unless someone can tell me another way around it.

Hey is this what's it like to be a 3rd party inspector? Getting the wrong or incomplete paperwork handed to you all day long.
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 09-25-2013 13:01
"...is this what's it like to be a 3rd party inspector? Getting the wrong or incomplete paperwork handed to you all day long.?
Yes, absolutely. And a lot of the times, some "Construction Management" weenie has approved submittals, without any input from inspectors.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-25-2013 02:00
Welder qualification with a back gouge operation is not an AWS D1.1 performance qualification test.

I don't have the code in front of me, but paraphrased D1.1 makes a statement that the tests described are specifically devised, blah, blah, blah. The code says the welder shall pass one of the tests defined in figures XX, YY, or ZZ. With the exception of the T, Y, K test, all of the figures of the test assemblies include backing.

My personal opinion is that your welders were improperly qualified when the CWI administered the tests, so they are not now and never have been qualified per D1.1.

Ouch! Double ouch!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-25-2013 03:46
They finally told me I was correct, finally! Now I can start qualifying the welders the way we were suppose to be doing it according to D1.1.

So now, what about there WPS, that I'm working from? They qualified their WPS by doing the same thing. They welded a 1" plate test, single V groove with FCAW, no back strap, then back gouged  and rewelded the root side.  Following Clause 4 Part B, D1.1 sends you all over the place, but you whine up on Fig. 5.4 (A) page 214 without the backing strap, that would be and acceptable profile but they don't mention if its OK to back gouge to qualify your WPS. And here I go back to my Table 4.5 (34) the omission, but not inclusion, of backing or back gouging. I never got that straightened out in my head for some reason.

On their WPS they have 2 tensiles and 4 straps for each position. But I don't see any Macroetch or all Weld Metal Tensile test in their WPS. Shouldn't they be following Clause 4 Part B to qualify a procedure?

I hope you guys are getting paid to answer all these questions. Your going to make a fortune. Hey they didn't want me checking welds anymore, so they gave me this job.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-25-2013 12:34
Okay,  here are my questions because I have a problem understanding something:
1) What material are we talking about?
2) What joint configuration are we talking about?
3) From your OP I 'assume' we are talking about FCAW-G with an all position electrode? What gas shielding?
4) Why was a PQR performed? (So far I am not seeing the need for one.  Should have been a 'pre-approved' WPS NOT 'Approved by testing' or with supporting PQR.)

Now, depending upon it's usage, the wps is fine calling for weld, backgouge, and weld other side.  And, the welder qualified to the proper D1.1 procedure with a backing is qualified to weld that wps operation. 

Your problem is the original qualification and now a question as to why a pqr. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-25-2013 12:41 Edited 09-25-2013 12:44

>4) Why was a PQR performed? (So far I am not seeing the need for one.  Should have been a 'pre-approved' WPS NOT 'Approved by testing' or with supporting PQR.)

Brent the way I read it (there are several situations in the OP) but one situation was the joint in the WPS was open root, so the previous CWI did a PQR, but failed to have all the signatures placed on the document at that time(and possibly didn't document or perform enough of the testing requirements).

Another situation is that he is testing the welders with backing like Fig 4.21, so he can use a prequalified procedure(B-U2a) for his personnel testing to 3G/4G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-25-2013 14:31
John,

You only have to get a PQR on an open root if it is not going to be backgouged and welded from the opposite side.  His was as I read it.  So I return to my question: Why was a PQR needed and/or performed?

Now, signatures, a CWI does not have any business signing anything except in the area that says he witnessed the test and even examined the results UNLESS he works for the company doing the testing of employees and is authorized to sign as their representative.  If he is not so employed then the company rep does need to have his sig attached to the dotted line at the bottom attesting to the authenticity of the report, id of the examinee, and procedures used.

Then, if he actually tested his welder, as stated at the beginning of the OP, then all is well with his test he only needs to make sure he fills in all the blanks on the report properly so that it states the parameters of the exam and the limits to which the person is qualified.  I realize that is where some mistakes were found in older exam reports and he was asking questions to make sure he understood correctly and got it right himself.  And it sounds as though he is headed the right direction.

It is some of the other items that concern me.  I'm either not understanding what is being asked or how it is being presented or both.  I am a little hard of hearing. (yes, that was intended to be humorous) 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-25-2013 15:20

>You only have to get a PQR on an open root if it is not going to be backgouged and welded from the opposite side

Brent, You are correct.....for some reason I was thinking 6G was mentioned and I had pipe on my mind(which is inaccessible on the other side).
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-25-2013 17:36
He did mention 6GR John, but in an entirely, at least from my perspective, separate context.  Asked about using a wps for that joint to do something else.  Which, if I remember it correctly, would not apply.  Needs a new wps.  As well as different welder quals. (This more to OP than to John) If certified to plate then not qualified to pipe unless over 24" in Diameter.  But, they can qualify to pipe and be qualified for plate as well from the one test.

You have to keep three things straight: Welder performance qualification, Procedure Qualification, and written Welding Procedure Specification.  Pre-Approved WPS's: Clause 3, Welder Performance Qualification and qualifying a PQR: Clause 4 and make sure you get the correct part of the clause for the one you are doing.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-26-2013 05:58 Edited 09-26-2013 12:42
Cracking the book, I feel like I'm back studying for my CWI all over again. It's my second night and nearly 12 midnight again, but I'm excited that I get the chance to be search the codes and use the knowledge I have gain here on this Forum to better myself and the company I work for.
To answer a couple of your questions Brent:
The first 3G-4G WPS I received had no witness signature for the PQR, just the company name. Only the NDT company's rep that prepared the test, place their signature for the destructive test.
Well they found the revised WPS for their 3G-4G. This one is well done and stamped and signed by ABS & a CWI it looks good.
FCAW-G.
Joint designation: B-U2, V Groove and backgouged.
Base Metal A36 (good for both groups I & II)
Gas: 75/25% Argon/Co2
Filler metal: Qualified under, Class E71T-1, Spec. A5.20  Manf. We'll say Joe Shmo, Brand, Hard Luck.  On the WPS they place NA on Manufacture and N/A on the Brand Name? You don't have to list the Manf. or the Brand name on the WPS?

By the way for the NDE on the PQR , I have RT preformed, 2 Reduced Section Tensile Test, & 4 side bends for each of my positions 2G, 3G, 4G on the PQR. (OK I got up early 4:00am ate breakfast and found my answere. Fig 4.10 (2) Page166, NO All weld Metal Tension and Macroetch is in this test plate. So my WPS is correctly tested there.)

This WPS ID #  I have listed on my new welder's certification that he has qualified from. This is my first AWS/CWI stamped document with my signature stating that everything I have listed is correct. Everything that I had control over for that welder is correct, except for this WPS doesn't have the Filler Metal Manufacturer nor Brand Name listed as it was taken from the PQR. My welder qualified with a different Manufactor and Brand name filler wire than the PQR Joe Shmo & Hard Luck. The WPS and the welder qualification have same classification and F Group.

So, here I am with this WPS, on it has ABS & CWI stamps and signatures and I'm asking questions. at 12:57 in the morning.
More reading in the morning
Thanks And Good night.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-26-2013 12:52
Okay, again you must remember to keep some things straight: Welder Performance Qualification Report, Welding Procedure Specification (WPS), and  Procedure Qualification Report.

Also: be careful about incorporating things you have heard and yet you can't find.  They probably come from another code.  You are working to D1.1; not, D1.5, D1.8, ASME, etc.

So, first, No, you don't have to list the manufacturer or trade name such as 'Lincoln Excalibur' for a 7018 SMAW electrode.  Now, if you are working to some parts of D1.5, or D1.8 those items may become a factor, but not here.

Second, you still need to separate your working wps from your welder qualification test.  Looks like you have a good WPS going for production.  And, you may use it in it's basic info for your welder performance qualification.  BUT, the welder qualification must be done to that portion and figures of Clause 4 that will incorporate a backing bar.  Not an open root and backgouged to weld from opposite side.  All the other info will be valid and the test will qualify the welder to perform those welds in production. 

I would give the testee a set of written instructions about the test and a copy of the wps you have for the work.  From that they should be able to set everything up per the wps except that they will use a backing bar.

So, in all your research, why was this PQR needed?  Why are you using the # from it instead of checking the box that it is a Pre-Approved procedure?  You don't need a PQR.  This whole thing is Pre-Approved per Clause 3. 

You can use it, but it doesn't accomplish anything. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-26-2013 17:52
Thanks Brent for all your help. This has been a hurdle getting them to let go of the old ways. and follow the rules

They haven't told me why they went to so much trouble to qualify a WPS that was already prequalified.  But the wheels are finally turning in my favor.

The right guy finally got wind of the whole mess and now it's on.

Got another question, what do I do with all my welders messed up welding qualification reports that I mention on 9-24.

They told me the last CWI can't put his foot on our property..I can see why. Do I requalifiy all the welders? Or is there a gray area where the certs can be fixed.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-26-2013 18:01
Maybe you can pitch the idea of requalifying to get all of the certifications more current(to D1.1:2010) and on new company letterhead. Maybe sell it as a plus for the company to keep the welders current with fresh paperwork and stamped by the new resident CWI .....I dunno, how many welders are you looking at with messed up certifications?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-26-2013 19:22
I'm with John here.  Even when welding regularly, I personally and all my crew, does a 3G on 3/8 plate every so often and then at longer intervals I do a 3G and a 4G on 3/8.  It doesn't take all that long and it proves you still can.  Anybody can weld for years down flat and not have to requalify.  But, push come to shove, can they truly still do a 3 or 4 G? 

At the very longest I have had a third party come in and run everyone including myself and my son through 3 & 4G at 10 year intervals.  With all the others that I document myself and the continual usage there is no question about their abilities.

With the questionable certs on file, I'd try hard to sell them on a total make over.  They don't have to do everybody at once.  Work them through on a weekly rotation and start updating the welders qualification log.  Start with a couple of key people then when you know you have some quality personnel properly recorded start doing some of the questionable ones so you can do any retraining that may need to be done to get them all up to speed.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-27-2013 02:23
Sales is how I got started.  Requalifying  our welders would be the cheapest way out, then trying to do something shady. You have to think of Karma.

Thanks again fellas. I'm turning in early tonight.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-27-2013 05:07
Depending on the engineer, you may need to list the brand of the filler. I once had to resubmit all my prequalified procedures listing the brand of filler. It is not required in D1.1 but it may be required in the job specifications.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-28-2013 15:41
They probably  added the manufacturer and the trade name because the prequalified WPS is suppose to list the welding parameters within the manufacturer's recommended ranges. I would not be surprised to see that become a common requirement.

I frequently specify a specific electrode when doing a repair to a steel casting to ensure there is sufficient manganese to counter the sulfur in the casting. Most manufacturer's produce several types of electrodes, all meeting the same 
AWS classification, but with slightly different deposited chemistries. There are situations where it makes a difference.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-28-2013 20:31
That was exactly the reason. It should become a requirement. There are too many variables in each manufacturers recommended ranges to be able to list it on a prequalified WPS and expect good results from all.
- - By hvymax (**) Date 10-22-2013 16:00
Cluster F%$#'s like this are normal coming behind anyone. The Co hires a CWI to be responsible for these things and some are sloppier than others. I work in an ATF where everything we have is audited every few years. At this point you need to review everything that is there and work it out to your satisfaction because it is your name/stamp on it now. Once you get it all figured out maybe you could consult an ATF admin with database priveleges to get in the system and correct any innacuracies. If it is just in house paperwork organize it as best as you can and segregate it from your work to CYA.
Parent - By fit2inspect (**) Date 10-23-2013 01:06
Oh the deeper i dig the more it stinks. They will have to recertify every welder in the shop close to 25 welders. The last straw will hit the camels back when they find out there only stainless tig hand didn't have anyone record the test or even type up the Welder Qualification Report.  I don't know how any of our 3rd party inspectors didn't catch this months ago. I'm just getting into this and I'm dizzy at the amount of mess these certification are in.
I have another separate question on another post in just a bit
- By hvymax (**) Date 11-07-2013 16:09 Edited 11-07-2013 16:39
Like I said CYA. You will probably end up being blamed. Who smelt it delt it. If the company is serious about getting a handle on this demand a raise and put together an appropriate program to get a handle on this debacle. One benefit of having to recertify all of your welders is they can all have the same anniversary making keeping track much easier. You will also have known certs andthe program will become wholely yours. You either have them by the balls or you are only there to throw under the bus so make the most of it. I know as an ATF admin that welders in our system with expired certs can "renew their certs" with a retest. The retest is performed to the standard of the original cert and is entered on their original cert with new anniversary date.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How do I correct CWI Mistake on a welder's qualification