Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Symbol
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-24-2013 20:29
Today I came across this weld symbol it was a fillet symbol with a G and a straight line over the G not under the G if it was under the G that would tell you to grind the weld flush. What does it mean when it over the G?

M.G.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-24-2013 20:33
Fillet weld contours are shown above the G. (See lower right page 19 of A2.4:2012, Clause 6.12.2)
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-24-2013 20:56 Edited 09-24-2013 22:24
Thanks John I didn't know that.They got fillet symbol on the other side of the ref.line on a little square aluminum box and how would you grind a fillet weld in the corner flush.
John, I looked in my A2.4 2007 book and I have seen that weld symbol before and understand it. I'm going to try post a picture of what I'm talking about and let me know if you have seen anything like it before.

M.G.
Attachment: Scan0001.jpg (134k)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-24-2013 23:24
Milt,

Only the symbol on the arrow side is correct. Other than that, the straight lines on some of the fillet weld symbols are backwards.  Should always be on the left.  But the weld contour symbol always goes between the weld symbol and the finish indicator, rather they are on the top or bottom of the reference line.  So the top will put the contour under the finish indicator while the bottom will put it on top of it.

Now, is it possible that this is by someone out of AWS parameters?  European or ISO?  I believe both of them put the arrow side on top of the reference line instead of under it??  Or, maybe someone drew it who didn't know in the first place? 

I agree, grinding on the inside of those doesn't make sense.  I'd be asking for clarification.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-24-2013 23:32
John,

I believe you will find that everything always moves out in the same order from the reference line.  Thus, reference line, weld symbol, contour symbol, finish indicator.  The same order rather on top of or under the reference line. 

Now, for current reference I only have my older 2.4 on my computer, but I don't remember them changing that in the new 2.4 even though pages are different.  I'll check it out when I get home. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-25-2013 02:04
I appears the person making the drawing did a cut and paste when drawing the symbols. The a not correct per A2.4. If you have any question as to the intent, call the person that made the drawing and let him correct the drawing.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-25-2013 08:34
And maybe, just maybe this person who drew these welding symbols is suffering form a rare form of dyslexia coupled with delusions of grandeur???:eek::roll::grin::lol::lol::twisted:
Or the person is still hallucinating from the Sixties!!!:eek::roll::twisted::grin::lol::grin::confused::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-25-2013 11:16
When I first read the OP, this is what I thought he was speaking about...now that I've seen the symbol, I agree that something isn't correct.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-26-2013 13:29
Far as I know the method of finishing is always further from the reference line than the profile symbol.

Also would be interested to know how they came up with a fillet weld on what I consider to be a square butt joint on the flange that is turned in from the sides of the box
- - By SVANDEWINCKEL Date 10-10-2013 20:33
Good Afternoon,
I have a question on AWS code A2.4. In the Scope of Code A2.4 it states ; Welding symbols shall be those shown in the latest edition of the AWS A2.4 (Symbols for Welding, Brazing, and Nondestructive Examination) Special conditions shall be fully explained by added notes or details. My question is on older weldment drawing we didn't use weld symbols to designat weld, we used a detailed weld note that explains weld size, type, and position. Most of our weldment are sheet metal covered under AWS code D9.1. Is a weld note acceptable in place of weld symbols on older drawing in acordance with code A2.4? We are planning on suppling our weld house the proper WPS forms.

Thanks the all who reply
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-11-2013 11:43 Edited 10-11-2013 11:50
Hi SVANDEWINCKEL,

When the welder is looking at your drawing with the weld notes on it, how does he/she know where to weld unless you have a welding symbol with an arrow pointing to the joints to be welded? This takes alot of guesswork out of the welder's mind and let's them focus on welding vs designing or trying to figure out where to place the welds that are in the weld notes.

You may have more control over the welding if the design, detailing, and welding are all done under your roof...but interpretation comes in to play when multiple parties are trying to figure out exactly what, where, and how much something gets welded.
Just my opinion.
Parent - - By SVANDEWINCKEL Date 10-15-2013 15:16
Jwright650
Sorry about not starting a new thread, this was my first posting. I should have clarified my question. We are planning on labeling the welds on new drawings following AWS code 4.2 and D9.1, I was asking about our older drawing that specify weld as a note. Our weldment are mostly machine enclosures, all outside corner welds are continuous and ground to a smooth radii. All stiffeners are skip welded to a set length and pitch. Does AWS code 4.2 allow notes for welding if the note is complete and discribes all welds on the weldment.

Thanks for the reply
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-15-2013 16:12
IMHO the main goal is to convey the designer's intentions to the welder so that the designer gets what he/she designed into the final product. If your notes do that, then it works to keep it all in the notes.

I apologize for not welcoming you into our forum...I didn't notice that it was your first post...so "Welcome to the forum."
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-11-2013 11:50
Hi SVANDEWINCKEL,
I should mention that when you have a question, you should start your own thread instead of adding on to someone else's.

The reason for this, is that it gets really confusing when several people are replying about the postings in a thread and then people are not sure who is responding to who or what question is actually being replied to when there are multiple questions in a single thread.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-11-2013 12:30
WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

John, sounds rather like some of the other threads though where it may actually be of benefit to not detail the weld in the welding symbol but in a detail where the engineer can better explain the need of the joint.  As long as they give the welders enough information in the details to accomplish the desired task.  But at the same time are leaving some latitude to the shop personnel to make it happen the way they think is most efficient, productive, and successful.

Also sounds like this practice may have started when something was new to the company and they weren't real sure how to go about the completion of the job.  By now they have a better idea and new personnel who want to see more precise drawings without as much flexibility.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Symbol