Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / gmaw and fcaw
- - By jkd1185 Date 09-25-2013 15:40
What are some wfs and voltes to run I normally run fcaw at wfs-280 and voltes-22.0 but I produce spater gmaw I just play around till I think the bead is fine but if anyone can help with picking numbers would be great thank you all
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 09-25-2013 15:52
you're going to have to be pretty specific about what you're trying to accomplish.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-25-2013 15:55
Need some more info....polarity(polarity is often over looked when changing from FCAW to GMAW), wire diameter, electrical stick out, sheilding gasses being used, materials being welded would be a good start.

To get a general place to start, take a quick peek at the welding wire manufacturer's recommended settings. Any wire mfg. worth their salt will publish these numbers for their product. If they have a website, look for product data sheets(PDS) or the like.

As a rule, with wire welding of any type:
Spatter = too much wire feed for the voltage setting.
Burn back into the tip = too little wire feed speed for the voltage setting.

There are some things to consider so that you don't chase your dials all over the place. ESO(electrical stickout) is measured from the work to the contact tip. This ESO dimension must be maintained at all times or your voltage will not stay constant. Wire welders are constant voltage machines which means that they will vary the current to maintain a certain voltage.

Spatter happens when the wire isn't melting off fast enough and it jams into the molten puddle and splashes droplets of metal all over the place. To cure this maintain a consistant ESO, and either add some voltage or turn down the WFS. Wire welding, particulary FCAW, gets a bad rep sometimes because people don't always understand what spatter is and why it happens.

Hope this helps.
Parent - - By jkd1185 Date 09-25-2013 17:32
Thanks for that I will check my machine today when I'm in class I just wanted some numbers to run with but I will definitely check in to that
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-26-2013 11:43
I agree with Tyrone...Welcome to the forum and it was a good question. To get a good, complete answer that you can use, supply us with all of the info that you know about your welding situation. :cool:
Sometimes we can shoot from the hip and give some generic answer that may work when we don't know all of the variables to consider, but I think that you will find that we will end up asking for more info if because may alter/change our answer.:wink:

You asked about Lincoln's info....now that I know that you may be using Lincoln electrodes, try this pdf. below. Keep in mind that you will need the AWS' classification (ie. E71T-1, ER70S-3) or Lincoln's trade name(ie. Ultracore 71C, Superarc L-50) for their product data.(this should be on a label that is stuck on the roll of wire).

pdf for Ultracore71C fluxcored wire: Typical Operating procedures

pdf for Superarc L-50 mig wire: Typical Operating procedures

http://www.Lincolnelectric.com
Look under "consumables" for the different types of wire and once you have found it, there are links to these pdf files on where to set your machine to use their product(like the links above).
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-25-2013 17:29
UUMMM...

In school, taking welding, don't know settings for machines??  Is there not study material and an instructor available who can see exactly what is going on to offer more precise advice than what we could come up with from such a short and ambiguous post?

We would love to offer advice.  But it is more than a little difficult without far more information than what you gave thus far.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jkd1185 Date 09-25-2013 17:38
Sorry for the miss understanding there is study guides for this and I'm one of those students that likes to figure it out on my own there is other students he can help if all I need is help with settings like I said I was just looking for some numbers to work off of thank you all
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-26-2013 13:40 Edited 09-26-2013 13:43
Sorry in advance for being tough on the new guy but:

You have specific instructions available at school, but you ignore them because you:
"are one of those students who likes to do it on his own"

Then you come to an online forum to ask us for the information you have already been given.

This is not what a good student does.  Harsh but true.

For your own benefit. Do what you ate told by your instructor.
Use the directions you are given. ( in the real world you will be fired the first time you ignore written weld procedures)
When you have done all the above and it still doesn't work?  Then come here and post your questions.

Everybody is posting links when you already have a written procedure you have totally blown off

I just don't get it
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-26-2013 15:31
To give you some insight into Lawrence's past,
He was until recently, a welding instructor for many years at a college local to him.
I guess my point in bringing this into this thread is so that you could have an idea that he didn't just come in to blow hard at you, he wants you as a student to make use "all of the available resources" that your school has availiable to you. :wink:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-26-2013 19:26
I thought that's what I said :)

The guy didn't ask a bad question.  Just stressing the importance of getting your money's worth out of the school.
They aren't cheap. Plus the #1 thing I hear from former students is "I wish I had payed even more attention when I was in the non-harsh environment of school.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-26-2013 20:22
To add to that without putting words in Lawrence's mouth:

The better schools are attempting to educate students so they are not encumbered with a bunch of false information when they get out into the workforce.  It is really frustrating when people pay to go to school and then still want to do everything 'their' way.  Guidelines within many of our codes will prohibit that in production especially those places where machines are locked into the parameters of the welding procedure.  Thus, they need to learn to do it the correct and proven successful way not their own feel good way.

Next, these schools are also trying to prepare valuable employees who can follow directions, communicate accurately, weld proficiently, and take criticism constructively (even if it wasn't meant that way, there is always something to learn and apply from a negative comment).  It doesn't show the desired learning curve when someone comes here seeking advice to circumvent the instructors class.  I'm sure there are mistakes made in the classroom.  But, it is not our place to tell students that their instructors are all wet and they should do it this way instead.  We don't even know exactly what is being taught.  We don't even know if it is an actual welding class with theory and practical or only some 'practice welding' class with no credits or degree.  But, why pay if you don't intend to listen? 

Are the lessons being learned for development of a good employee?  For following directions?  For not questioning authority just because it is a currently used popular catch phrase?  Life lessons of making changes to better oneself even if the other person intentionally meant to tear you down? 

Now, some of this is not totally applicable to this poster.  It has been a general ramble from the few posts he has made.  I noticed in his first post which was in a thread he started in order to introduce himself that he was a student.  That is why I questioned this thread's direction from the start.  I was not sure of the motive.  And, I have yet to see any of the questions answered that some of us asked though he commented that he would include more info in the future. 

I personally don't see anything in this thread that is condescending or belittling.  I see questions of motive being asked with advice on a proper course of action being given.  I also see a willingness to help if only we had more complete information.  I see constructive criticism which is meant to motivate a person in the correct direction of education. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 09-25-2013 17:35
try this web site from Miller.

Hope this helps
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/calculators/mig_solid_amperage_calculator.php
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By jkd1185 Date 09-25-2013 17:42
Do you know if Lincoln electric has a guide like that thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-25-2013 17:52
They would be very close to the same.  Also, AWS has some handbooks that are small, stick in your pocket or toolbox type, that are good references.  Go to the main website and then to the bookstore and you can find them.

But, as we asked, with a little more info we would be more than happy to help out.  I was just curious why you weren't utilizing the instructor.  If you want to play with it we need to know wire class and size, gas shield or not, gas type if gas, etc.

As mentioned, FCAW without gas, FCAW-S, is negative polarity (EN).  FCAW-G is positive polarity (EP).  If you are running without gas and switch that machine to solid wire (GMAW) you need to switch the polarity as well.  Often gets overlooked. 

For more specifics we could use that other info.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jkd1185 Date 09-25-2013 18:03
Hey no problem next time I will be more specific
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 09-26-2013 15:46
When you ask for assistance here, you may get replies by people that are condescending or belittling because of the way you present question.  Just give as much info that you can, it helps us develop the right advise for you.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-27-2013 10:18
WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!!:eek::lol::wink::cool:

Now that I got that out of the way, I would like to know what is the diameter wire you are using and what is the type of welding wire you are using... What type of metal are you welding and what type of joint configuration, thickness of the joint, what is the exact process you're using as well as the position you're welding, the shielding gas flow rate if any being used, what is the method of metal transfer being used, is there any preheat necessary??? Etc.,etc., etc.

If you cannot figure all of that out, then you better start listening and learning because you got too much to understand before you can claim that you want to figure whatever out on your own and what to do with it especially if you don't know all of what I or anyone else have asked you so far - Get it??? GOOD!!!

Now swallow your pride for a few and go ask your instructor for help if you don't understand what's going on because that's what he or she is being paid for - CAPECHE???
Now go make us PROUD of You son!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 09-27-2013 15:23
Never realized how bent out of shape instructors get when they aren't included in the learning process until now......:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Guys that don't ask for input (help) usually end up getting into trouble later on down the line( on a job) because they come off as KNOW IT ALLS.......:yell::yell::yell::yell::yell: That's when they really get into trouble for not #1 Following drawings #2 asking for input from there foreman #3 Just doing what they "THINK" is right...(what the he## its' only the companies money/ reputation).......:yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell:  Good info/post from Lawrence , Henry and a few others:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Parent - By jkd1185 Date 10-05-2013 04:50
I don't have a pride issue its when I look I can't find my instructor so I stay in my booth and try to figure it out and when I can't then I search for him to get help I don't have a problem asking for help just have to let that be known
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-26-2013 10:39
Hey jkd,
Welcome to the Forum!   Good first question from someone who's just starting in the world of welding.  Keep your questions coming.  Lots of people here with knowledge and experience.
Tyrone
- - By jkd1185 Date 10-05-2013 05:00
Now off subject for a minute how many welders out there have breathing problems if so how do you deal with it because i've just started well like 2 months ago no waiting for my what doctor has to say any advice and tips will be greatful
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-05-2013 11:25
Neti pot

http://www.sinucleanse.com/netipotlanding.htm

Takes a couple days to get the hang of it, but it works, no drugs and cheap!
Parent - By jpill (**) Date 10-08-2013 20:25
I second the neti pot, and backing up off of the weld to get out of the plume, and putting the exhaust duct where it will do some good in the booth. When my students are stick welding on projects outside of the booth we place shop fans to blow the plume away.

Even with the neti pot Lawrence would probably agree with me on this. I use the neti pot and saline sprays, but still pick rocks and pebbles for the first few days after school lets out!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / gmaw and fcaw