Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / E81T1-Ni1M-JH4 Pinholes in welding
- - By mgibson Date 09-25-2013 21:26
Hello, I an inspector for a fabrication yard.  We have recently changed the type of wire used at our yard to the E81N1 flux cored wire.  Since the change it seems we have been experiencing a lot of pinholes in our welds.  Does anyone know whether this is common for this type of wire, or have any information they can share about the troubles concerning this type of wire.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-25-2013 22:48
Have you looked at the paper work you get with the welding wire it will help you a lot by using it as a guide. It has a lot of useful information.

M.G.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2013 02:24
FCAW electrode with nickel additions often require straight polarity. You might check the polarity of the machine and the manufacturer's recommended polarity.

al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-27-2013 11:03
Well that's new to me!

Never have come across a gas shielded FCAW electrode wire that ran straight polarity.

Thanks Al :)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-27-2013 12:34 Edited 09-27-2013 12:36
Either way, I've witnessed welders, especially new guys, switch to one polarity or the other just because they thought that is what it was supposed to be without checking the manufacturer's specs/recommendations. 

They have been running innershield only and the shop has them run gas shielded and they automatically switch the polarity when it didn't need to be. 

All kinds of possibilities, point is to check and see how it is recommended to be run and make sure that is how it is set up at the machine.   After all, it is possible the machine is set to negative but it is supposed to be positive. 

Also, the nickel electrodes are a little difficult for some guys.  Check all your parameters and then experiment with technique.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2013 21:03
What he said!

The point of my comment is to defer to the manufacturer's recommended settings. Setting up FCAW by the seat of one's pants is a formula for frustration. The information is typically available on the manufacturer's website.

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-28-2013 13:51 Edited 09-28-2013 13:54
Yes Brent!

A thousand times yes!
I was just thanking Al for teaching me something.

Word on the street is I'm crabby and condescending, so I'm repenting and turning over a new leaf :)

I've been having nightmares involving tandem twin wire SAW and waking up sweat covered and grouchy
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-28-2013 15:02
No problem Lawrence, we have all been called condescending and belittling of late.

I was just clarifying from my perspective and adding my two tin pennies worth.

Closing down my main shop and switching to full time inspections but working evenings and weekends on a couple of projects that make such good money I can't make myself let go of them.  Long work hours with little sleep and tearing emotions apart after putting 17 years of my life into this shop and community.  Trying to get additional certifications in some areas as well. 

Emotions, physically, and mentally draining.  Makes us a little temperamental. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-28-2013 15:52
Actually, I was thinking along the lines of self-shielded FCAW, but I always make it a point to review the manufacturer's recommendations. In the long run it saves time, money, and frustration. So, in fact Larry made a good observation. I haven't used any rutile based FCAW electrode that uses DCEN.

Even when specifying an electrode I am familiar with, I check the manufacturer's web site to make sure they haven't tweaked something. It only takes a couple of minutes and it can make a difference between a happy welder and one that thinks my WPS is a piece of toilet paper.

Best regards
al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-28-2013 17:07
You know he hasn't come back to let us know if he had his problem solved. I would like to know what it was.

M.G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-28-2013 17:58
That seems to be happening more and more...people post a problem/question and never come back to acknowledge an answer and/or solution. 

Oh well, at least we have fun doing it and it helps keep me learning new things and refreshing my mind in the codes and procedures.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-28-2013 18:06
I really like it when people DO answer back with either a positive or even a negative response to members advice!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / E81T1-Ni1M-JH4 Pinholes in welding