Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 using SRM as WPS?
- - By PaperPusher Date 09-27-2013 14:24
First post on the forum, looking into starting a welding shop to do weld repairs on old aircraft parts here in Canada.

I've read through AWS D17.1, read Al's excellent series on WPS in Inspection Trends, and here's my question:

Does an FAA approved OEM Structural Repair Manual (SRM) constitute a qualified WPS for D17?
The SRM includes a welding section that has all the info that D17 requires for a WPS (I went through requirements line by line).

Thanks in advance,
FI
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-27-2013 14:27
Hoping Lawrence chimes in here...he contributed alot to the writing and implementation of that specification.

Welcome to the forum. :cool:
Parent - - By PaperPusher Date 09-27-2013 19:25
Thanks John, I'm hoping he'll reply too :smile:
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-27-2013 19:41
If you don't see him chiming in soon...give him a PM, he may have his PM box set to notify him via email when he has a (PM)private message.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-28-2013 13:32
Hey Pusher :)

No, the a structural repair manual (SRM) will not superseded or replace D17 when it is required by FAA or other governing bodies.

The SRM and the welding code are two different things entirely.

Your SRM was without doubt made with or by the OEM's who built the aircraft AND the power plant.
The have special knowledge and recommendations of hot section work, dissimilar metals joining and guidance about repairs to precipitation hard enable alloys... Can't fix an engine without it. In my day they were called a class 1 document .

D17.1.  Is designed to help aerospace manufacturers and repair depots prove they can carry out what the SRM demands or calls out.

In the aerospace world it's not enough to have the directions. You must prove by both procedure qualification and performance qualification that your plant and your staff are up to the task.

But Lar,   That's a terribly expensive proposition !
Qualify every alloy group I might weld on, on a jet engine?
And then qualify every welder to every alloy group he does production or repair welding on?

Yes!

That is just the beginning of the buy-in to get into aircraft welding that has D17.1 requirements

At least you have the SRM in hand... You would be amazed and frightened by the number of folks who wanna fix jet engines without looking at an original manufacturer's manual!

Hope I helped

It's a very big undertaking and I wish you success.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-28-2013 13:40
Having said all of that

You can use your SRM data as you develop your D17 procedures.

If the SRM, as you said, "has the stuff D17 wants" that can save you a lot of trials.
Now you can plug it in and prove your equipment, processes and staff can COMPLY with the SRM and your newly written procedures.

Am I making sense?

Really am trying to be helpful
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 using SRM as WPS?