Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / API 582 committee
- - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 09-27-2013 15:45
Does anyone have any suggestions and or someone to contact on how to get on an API committee? Mainly API 582.
Please forgive me for asking this question. I understand this is mainly an AWS forum but I thought someone might have some info.

thanks
Jim
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 09-27-2013 18:59
I'm pretty sure you (your company) has to be a member of the AGA. From there your company leverages for a seat on a committee. Though I do see a lot of ASME influence throughout 582. CWI7611 was co-chair of 1104 for a long time...basically when GOD created dirt. IF you can contact him on here, he should probably have much better info to offer you than this.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-27-2013 20:47
My suggestion.
1. Get to know who's the President of API 582 Committee. I suppose that the committees, together with the names of their Presidents, are listed on API's site. If not, make a telephone call to API's offices in Washington DC and ask. Don't send e-mails. That kind of e-mails are seldom, if ever, answered.
2. Write a letter on your own letterhead (if don't have your own letterhead, use a first quality paper) saying that you wish to become a member of the Committee, and telling him (her) how you can contribute to the Committee's work. Attach your resumé to show that you're qualified to become a member. Don't send e-mails, a letter has more importance than an e-mail and is treated much better.

Tell me how you got along. Good luck.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-29-2013 03:25 Edited 09-29-2013 03:30
Go to the API web site. There is a section where you can volunteer for being on a committee.
http://www.api.org/publications-standards-and-statistics/committee-information
http://www.api.org/publications-standards-and-statistics/standards-committee-application
You will need a background in the area you want to serve with. It helps to have some API certifications such as 510, 570 or 653, or an engineering background in the petroleum industry.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 09-30-2013 16:07
Thanks for your input. I had already taken the steps found on the API web site.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-01-2013 00:37
If you know someone on the committee ask them to have the chair consider you for the position. The big thing will be the commitment from you for attending the meetings.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 10-01-2013 18:25
Thanks for the help.

Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / API 582 committee